Successfully checked in-Can I save the boarding pass to my phone rather than print?

steve4031

A paper boarding pass was advantageous checking in for the QE in Vancouver. After check-in in the convention centre it was stamped "OK To Board" and it had to be shown to exit Hall C in order to proceed down to security and US border control. I don't know what the "I do everything on my phone" people did.

We took the same cruise last year and Cunard recommended passengers print out all required documentation. At that time there was a lot more required (ArriveCan and ;proof of vaccination) than this year.

We didn't waste our time uploading photos. We did that, as did our friends, last year and the respective check-in agents took new ones. It took only seconds. 

We were directed to go to our muster station prior to going to our stateroom. As has been indicated above, the boarding pass was scanned.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2023 at 11:54 AM, david,Mississauga said:

A paper boarding pass was advantageous checking in for the QE in Vancouver. After check-in in the convention centre it was stamped "OK To Board" and it had to be shown to exit Hall C in order to proceed down to security and US border control. I don't know what the "I do everything on my phone" people did.

We took the same cruise last year and Cunard recommended passengers print out all required documentation. At that time there was a lot more required (ArriveCan and ;proof of vaccination) than this year.

We didn't waste our time uploading photos. We did that, as did our friends, last year and the respective check-in agents took new ones. It took only seconds. 

We were directed to go to our muster station prior to going to our stateroom. As has been indicated above, the boarding pass was scanned.

I was looking for a way upload the picture as I am not tech savvy and saw your post about the cruise crew taking it  for you?  Should I wait until we are at the terminal?

8 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I was looking for a way upload the picture as I am not tech savvy and saw your post about the cruise crew taking it  for you?  Should I wait until we are at the terminal?

Yes, I recommend waiting until check-in.  It takes only a few seconds.  For two cruises  we have taken pictures (with our small digital camera; we don't have a smartphone) then put the pictures on our computer, then uploaded them.  The first time the Cunard site immediately rejected the pictures so we took them again.  As I said earlier they were deemed not good enough at check-in and the clerk took new ones.  I wasted our time trying this on the next cruise with the same result.

A few days ago I did the on-line check-in and skipped over the part about uploading photos. The wording gives the impression you have to do that but you do not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Yes, that remains the case that of all the things you should do before arriving, that's the item that can be dispensed with. At many Cunard locations, even if you take a photo and have it on your booking, the agent will take a new photo anyway. I was somewhat shocked at Southampton last Sunday that they did in fact accept my photo as provided, I think that was a first there.

Cunard outsources the check-in process, but does have an app to give to agents. Some agents have computers but it is mostly via a company app on a smartphone. This walks them through the check-in process, and the first thing they do is use their phone app's camera to scan your passport. Ideally this matches, then confirms your booking and then gives a workflow for the agetn. But it's therefore just a flick of the wrist for the agent to take a new photo.

The credit card registration, though, is what Cunard really wants you to do at online check-in!

• Thanks 2

On 6/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, bluemarble said:

Now I don't know what happens if you can't present a boarding pass (either paper or electronic). I suspect we would have heard stories here if folks were denied boarding for lack of being able to present a boarding pass. But I wouldn't want to test the process to find out what extra steps might be required at Brooklyn if you can't show a boarding pass.

I can actually speak to this lack of boarding pass. We were traveling with a friend, whom I repeatedly reminded to be sure to have her boarding pass and passport. She had her passport, but when asked if she had her pass, she said she left it at home (grrr....!) Anyway, apparently there is a special desk in Brooklyn where folks who do not have the said pass, can get one.

I'm sure she wasn't the only one who did not have one.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Yes, I recommend waiting until check-in.  It takes only a few seconds.  For two cruises  we have taken pictures (with our small digital camera; we don't have a smartphone) then put the pictures on our computer, then uploaded them.  The first time the Cunard site immediately rejected the pictures so we took them again.  As I said earlier they were deemed not good enough at check-in and the clerk took new ones.  I wasted our time trying this on the next cruise with the same result.

A few days ago I did the on-line check-in and skipped over the part about uploading photos. The wording gives the impression you have to do that but you do not.

I don't bother to do the photo. I've tried in the past and the website has accepted the photo but the check-in staff took a new one anyway. As others have said, it's just a few seconds. 

Another point in favor of a paper boarding pass is it won't crack if you drop it on the floor of the terminal. (Some are just hard concrete floors) And it's just one more thing to juggle while you've got your hands busy with carry-on and your passport.

• Like 1

As the WiFi in Southampton can be a bit patchy I take a screenshot of the boarding pass on my phone. I also print it. (Belt and braces). On one occasion the chap checking passes just before boarding was very grateful for the paper version, as the sun was very bright and he was having trouble reading screens. Last time I printed it out I inadvertently printed double sided and the agent said she couldn’t use it and reprinted it to stamp my ok to board. 

I also accidentally printed boarding passes double sided and had to have it redone at Southampton. Apparently if some of the barcode shows through the paper it can upset the scanners. They just printed a new barcode off onto a bit of receipt and away we went.

• Like 1