HAL Noordam in Kiritimati, Kiribati (Christmas Island)

dronfield

I will be in Kiritimati this October.  I have been unable to find any shore excursions there and HAL has none listed.  There seems to be very little information on the internet other than don't swim in the lagoon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for one day on Kiritimati.   

We stopped there for a day this past March on the Koningsdam. There won't be any excursions offered at all. But I found the island very interesting and urge you to get off the ship and walk around. I and many others just walked around and felt very safe; people were super friendly. Since ships stop there so infrequently, its a very big deal to the locals when a ship does stop, and many of the locals come out for visitors. When we were there, there were 10-15 locals selling craft items, the school kids sang some songs, one of the church groups did songs and music, and very friendly local people will come out to visit. Many people on our sailing donated backpacks full of school supplies; there was a special area set up by the pier to receive those donations. So, do get off the ship and leave some cash on the island to help out the locals. But yeah, definitely don't swim in the water, as the sewage system is basically a big pond that empties this gross brown water directly into the ocean. 

PXL_20230303_211620947.jpg

PXL_20230303_210941632.MP.jpg

PXL_20230303_223804862.jpg

• Thanks 4

Photos make it look as if there has been a bit of upgrading here since we were last there.    A cute island, lots of shellwork and other craft-y items to buy. The ride around the island was a nice way to spend some time and contribute to the locals. It will be hot so take your own water!

Edited by SilvertoGold

11 hours ago, dronfield said:

I will be in Kiritimati this October.  I have been unable to find any shore excursions there and HAL has none listed.  There seems to be very little information on the internet other than don't swim in the lagoon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for one day on Kiritimati.   

Do it yourself, walk around, when it rains it will be mud.

Best thing is to remind yourself where you are - in the absolute middle of nowhere, yet this small community thrives and goes about their daily lives.

And the fact this tiny island was "found" in the vast Pacific Ocean during the amazing Polynesian migration -  originally coming from Asia, setting off in simple craft but with deep knowledge of minds and sea currents to somehow bump into these widely scattered bits of land, removed from everything except what nature provided - hundreds of years ago.

Yes, life is very simple here and they are now in the flotsam and jetsam of a more modern world (including cruise ship stops and electronic communications, as well as floating ocean debris), but the few moments you spend on this welcoming little island will stay with you long after  the cruise is over.

Just knowing there are these small islands out there with long histories - now caught between two worlds. And you had the privilege of experiencing it.

• Like 5

Awe - this warms my heart. We always try to "buy local" to contribute directly to the local economy; it's refreshing to NOT see Senor Frogs and Diamond International. I would bring a backpack of supplies to leave with them, for sure!!

While now recovered and completely different situation, this reminds me of going to Costa Maya several years ago as they struggled to recover from a hurricane. Everything had been wiped out and so the cruise ships were not stopping there. We did stop; although, the excursions offered were very limited. I think there were maybe 2 offered; we did sign up for one of them. Definitely no local independent tours offered and many chose not to get off the ship.

We rode a bus for quite a while doing a "tour" of the area; it really just reinforced the level of devastation and highlighted how little help they were receiving in their efforts to recover. We ended up at one time had been a small village, but was now just a couple of dirt floor huts. The family cooked for us and allowed us to tour their home. The food (Pibil Chicken cooked in banana leaves in the ground) was amazing! The people so humble, proud and generous to share their lives and open their home made a lasting memory. It both broke and warmed my heart to see how they were finding their way while seemingly forgotten by the rest of the world. Had I known about their situation, I would have brought things to leave for them, similar to donating backpacks mentioned at start of this thread.

I believe those of us who are blessed to cruise have a duty to leave the places we visit better than we find them and feel blessed to be able to do that. I learned to be more aware, do better research before getting on a ship.

• Like 4

Here's info about the hurricane; for some reason, it would sort me attach to my post.

The family we visited was in Mahahual, which was just wiped out.

Screenshot_20230701-175708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230701-175833_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dronfield said:

Thank you all for this helpful information.  I think I will bring school supplies.

That is great! Would love to see pictures if you take some and are willing to post. That should be a very heart warming, special port day.💜

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

Thank you for  the school supply photos - please keep in mind plastic bags may or may not be a good thing. While they can be re-used, they cannot be disposed.

Bringing these welcome gifts in a paper bag would be better. Unless they do weave these plastic ibags into their shell basketry.  Does anyone know about this?

World Bank: Managing plastic wastes on small remote islands: https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/malaysia/brief/technologies-and-solutions-to-manage-plastic-waste-in-small-and-remote-islands

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Thanks 1

Thinking about what you might want to bring: recycle, reuse, repurpose

---Wooden pencils, instead of single use plastic pens

---Chalk, instead of flow pen markers

---Paper books

---Wax crayons

---Paper note books, sketch pads

---Small metal scissors, Pencil sharpeners

---Biodegradable natural fabric items, toys

---???????????

I spent some time in remote Fiji villages years ago, and one gift that was the biggest hit was a small globe (plastic!) that was attached to a pencil sharpener. The village chief grabbed that one for himself.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 10.05.19 AM.png

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1