NEW TO YACHT CLUB

joyce&bob

I just booked a 4-night MSC Seashore Yacht Club cruise out of Port Canaveral and have some questions.  We have cruised MSC before but first time in Yacht Club.  We are in cabin 19033, a YCP handicapped cabin.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated:

1) We are renting a scooter for my husband and were wondering how handicapped accessible the ship is?

2) What is the Dress code for the YC dining room?  Hubby really prefers to be casual at all times.  It's a challenge to get him into dressy clothes.

3) What kinds of drinks are in the cabin mini fridge?

4) What type of food is served at the outside grill in the Yacht Club for lunch? Do they serve dinner at the outside grill?

5) What are your favorite perks the Yacht Club provides?

Any other words of wisdom for first-time Yacht Clubers...

1 hour ago, joyce&bob said:

1) We are renting a scooter for my husband and were wondering how handicapped accessible the ship is?

It seems to be accessible. Within the Yacht Club, there is an elevator that goes to all of the Yacht Club decks. I don't remember if the door that leads to the sundeck was powered or not but I don't think that it is. The door leading to the outside of the Top Sail Lounge is powered. 

If you flip everything from left to right, your stateroom will look like this.....(push button balcony door)

No walk-in closet for these...I'm working on the list of which Deluxe Grands have and which don't. 

2) What is the Dress code for the YC dining room?  Hubby really prefers to be casual at all times.  It's a challenge to get him into dressy clothes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. MSC dress codes are more like "dress suggestions". Certain things are prohibited (and enforced) but casual is usually fine. 

3) What kinds of drinks are in the cabin mini fridge?

epp_oyster_msc-divina_msc-cruises_121828

It can vary but just ask the butler if you want more of something. Different butlers will tell you different things as far as what gets replaced at a cost and what gets replaced at no extra charge. I haven't fully figured it out but I've also never been charged for anything in the fridge (including multiple cans of Pringles). Other guests have been charged based on forum posts. 

4) What type of food is served at the outside grill in the Yacht Club for lunch? Do they serve dinner at the outside grill?

The food choices can vary. Some things are readily available and some are made to order. 

5) What are your favorite perks the Yacht Club provides?

The service....priority tendering/on/off at ports...lack of crowding on the sundeck...elevator hijack...reserved seating at shows...private section/restaurant on Ocean Cay...I could go on and on. There are too many aspects of the Yacht Club that I enjoy. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I haven't fully figured it out but I've also never been charged for anything in the fridge (including multiple cans of Pringles). Other guests have been charged based on forum posts. 

I spy Fever-Tree in that mini-fridge.  Yay!

• Like 1

Sailed YC often

Dress-- resort casual is fine at dinner though you will see some in jackets (no tie)

If your sailing is European heavy--they dress nicer than the US folks

This is an Italian line with Euro flair-- 

As YC you can eat just about anywhere on the ship (inclusive - except for the specialty dining which is an upcharge) So if the lunch offerings at the pool dont appeal, you can eat other places on the ship

The private island YC service is nice

As for scooter accessible etc--be sure your TA has noted your accomodations.  I believ re fire hazard/safety scooters must go inside the cabins and cannot be left in the halls

Mini bar in the stateroom - those policies have changed over the years and are also different ship to ship/port to port (US-Carrib vs European-Med) sailings. Part of the issue was hoarders who would stuff suitcases with snack food (reall-- crazy yet those posts were here on CC and we once had a pax bragged to us in the YC lounge how he stuffed the mini bottles into his carry on)😮

Best advice-- enjoy your cruise. Be kind and generous to your butler(s). They work very hard

Happy sailing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NMsunset said:

Never had/heard of dinner on pool Deck grill.

On one occasion in the Yacht Club, we docked late in San Juan. All aboard was a little later so guests could have enough time for their tours. Anticipating that everyone returning would like dinner at the same time, the YC director opened the One Pool Deck buffet with the same menu as the dining room.

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Best advice-- enjoy your cruise. Be kind and generous to your butler(s). They work very hard

Happy sailing

I've sailed on many cruises, although my upcoming one in February will be my first MSC cruise, and it'll be the first time I've sailed in this class of stateroom.  What's a fair gratuity to leave my butler at the end of the cruise?  Usually I leave my room stewards $100 on a 7 day cruise, but I'm imagining butler service will be more personalized and I've no issues with rewarding hard work.  I'm just not sure what is kind of considered the norm in the Yacht Club, so any advice on that would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Sakura Tomoe said:

I've sailed on many cruises, although my upcoming one in February will be my first MSC cruise, and it'll be the first time I've sailed in this class of stateroom.  What's a fair gratuity to leave my butler at the end of the cruise?  Usually I leave my room stewards $100 on a 7 day cruise, but I'm imagining butler service will be more personalized and I've no issues with rewarding hard work.  I'm just not sure what is kind of considered the norm in the Yacht Club, so any advice on that would be appreciated.

We tip out in cash

Butler

Asst butler

Waiter

Asst Waiter

Somm

Various bartenders in lounge and pool area including the pool attendants.

the service is superb.

Enjoy

The photo of the mini bar is not accurate. Mini bottles of alcohol are no longer provided. They will give you one 375ml bottle from a limited selection for a 4 night cruise. (one 750ml for a longer cruise) At least that was our most recent experience. The snacks are also pared down. There were pringles and such when we were in that cabin in Oct, but on our March Meraviglia cruise, there was one jar of nuts and one toblerone, and no other snacks. (There were snacks in the Top Sail lounge though.) There were a couple beers and a couple other bottled beverages. The soft drinks/juices will be replenished.

19033 has plenty of space to move around, and there is an automated door to a very large balcony. The door to the balcony is automatic, but we found that it would stick or get jammed at times. Best to use only while in port or moving very slowly with little breeze. When the ship is underway or there is wind the door will not operate properly -- unless they got it totally replaced already. The bathroom has the zero entry shower and a handrail. I believe there is a drop down seat as well.  The video above is pretty close but as stated the room layout is flipped.

We didn't need a HC room, but were given that room after boarding. It isn't what we booked or asked for, but it was not being used on our sailing and MSC messed up our booking for that particular cruise.

13 minutes ago, jame_g said:

The door to the balcony is automatic,

That reminds me. When outside on the veranda, DW closes the veranda door to keep the cabin air conditioned while I lounge. To get back in I noticed 2 buttons. Top green to open/ close the veranda door.  The lower button is red. Emergency. In the event DW takes a stroll and I need an emergency ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

34 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That reminds me. When outside on the veranda, DW closes the veranda door to keep the cabin air conditioned while I lounge. To get back in I noticed 2 buttons. Top green to open/ close the veranda door.  The lower button is red. Emergency. In the event DW takes a stroll and I need an emergency ?

More like you go out on the balcony, close the door, and then it gets stuck and won't open. Like it did to me. Fortunately my spouse was able to get the door open from the inside without using the emergency button.

21 minutes ago, jame_g said:

More like you go out on the balcony, close the door, and then it gets stuck and won't open. Like it did to me. Fortunately my spouse was able to get the door open from the inside without using the emergency button.

Even more fortunate for MOTS, he had another door to go inside in case one door got stuck. 😉

Edited by Two Wheels Only

23 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even more fortunate for MOTS, he had another door to go inside in case one door got stuck. 😉

You know and I know, but for the world to know throws the illusion of an 'emergency' out the window.

"Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness." Mark Twain

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

OK, now what do I do....MSC changed my sail date - without checking with me, they put me on a cruise for a month later.  Problem: still in Yacht Club but no longer in a handicapped room. I called and was told I would receive an email giving me choices....however, all I received was the email confirming my booking on a different date and a different non-handicapped cabin.  I called a couple of times with no satisfactory answer. Can you offer any help...  I know Ocean Cay is closed, and understand why the change, but I do not understand the lack of communication. Or not being given a choice as to what I want.  Also, we need the handicapped cabin, especially the handicapped bathroom.

A month later is a big change..we've seen shifts of a day or two and when the ships danced around a change in ports for departure.

Did you book directly with MSC or use a TA ? 

I'm seeing some confusing overlap on the MSC re ships/sailings - which makes trying to choose etc problematic

Noticed too a big group event on a sailing. Just stumbled upon it and wish that the lines would note that somehow if one doesn't want to be swept up into a group theme etc

• Like 1