CHANGING cruise date from Sept to May

1960Travel

We are booked Sept 16, on the konigsdam this year, we might have to change to next May.

Final payment has been made.  We have not sailed with Holland before and are so excited to be going back to Alaska this time with them

For anyone who has had to make a change like this was it a difficult process... Thanks

I have only done so prior to final payment. I actually decided to go north to south instead of south to north.  They did allow me to transfer my deposit and any perks.   A good TA from a volume agency (volume not mega) is your best bet.  

We had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical problem that arose suddenly.  I just assumed we would have to claim it on our outside insurance.  Much to my surprise they allowed us to transfer funds to an already booked cruise 6 months later and refunded prepaid shore excursions.  I don't know the rules on this but I was happy with that  

• Like 2

OP didn’t mention the reason for postponing, which may affect HAL’s willingness to make a transfer after final payment.

We had to cancel and rebook a trip last year a couple of weeks before sailing date following damage to our home from Hurricane Ian. Working through our “big box” TA who had HAL on the phone, we were able to switch the full amount paid to another cruise/itinerary.

Note that this was not handled as a Future Cruise Credit, but as a rebooking with all the money transferred immediately to another sailing 6 months in the future, during the same phone call as the cancellation. The new sailing payment in full was nonrefundable and we were not given the option to buy the HAL Cancel for Any Reason insurance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

We had to cancel at the last minute due to a medical problem that arose suddenly.  I just assumed we would have to claim it on our outside insurance.  Much to my surprise they allowed us to transfer funds to an already booked cruise 6 months later and refunded prepaid shore excursions.  I don't know the rules on this but I was happy with that  

Aligns with my experience having done it a couple times. Key seems to be to transfer the deposit (and any fare payments already made) to another booking.

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

OP didn’t mention the reason for postponing, which may affect HAL’s willingness to make a transfer after final payment.

We had to cancel and rebook a trip last year a couple of weeks before sailing date following damage to our home from Hurricane Ian. Working through our “big box” TA who had HAL on the phone, we were able to switch the full amount paid to another cruise/itinerary.

Note that this was not handled as a Future Cruise Credit, but as a rebooking with all the money transferred immediately to another sailing 6 months in the future, during the same phone call as the cancellation. The new sailing payment in full was nonrefundable and we were not given the option to buy the HAL Cancel for Any Reason insurance.

This also aligns with my experience mentioned in my other response. I was happy with the outcome as I didn't forfeit payments and did indeed plan on rebooking. I was met with no resistance either time, just had to be patient while they transferred me to a supervisor who had ability to handle the cancel and transfer. I had both invoices (cancel and new booking) in my email before I hung up.

Just changed dates last week. It was paid in full,  so they took new payment and will refund original payment in a week or so, we hope. Silly process when funds could have been transferred,  but no fees to change, so we didn't push back. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, consmarci said:

Just changed dates last week. It was paid in full,  so they took new payment and will refund original payment in a week or so, we hope. Silly process when funds could have been transferred,  but no fees to change, so we didn't push back. 

We didn't go that route on either of the 2 we changed - one was PIF, the other had substantial amounts paid but not fully - both were transferred to new bookings (2 different new bookings).

Thank you so much for your input..I did call Holland and they said I would be able to transfer to another date for May, Hoping we dont have to its for some medical tests one of us is having so hope we wont hav to but we will see...thanks

• Like 5

Just now, 1960Travel said:

Thank you so much for your input..I did call Holland and they said I would be able to transfer to another date for May, Hoping we dont have to its for some medical tests one of us is having so hope we wont hav to but we will see...thanks

Good to hear - thanks for the follow-up. Best wishes on your testing.

• Like 1