First time cruiser on Royal... question on drink packages.

First timer on RC. Before, I (we) always did Norwegian.

The wife and I aren't huge drinkers, but we will drink seltzer (soda water) and the occasional diet beverage. Hard drinks? Not so much. 

Are any of the drink packages worth it, or should we just pay as we go? Any advice? I am not sure of the price per all the drinks, and maybe someone could point me to that direction and we can make a better decision?

Thanks.

Hi,

The big issue with drinks packages is that you will have to drink X amount of drinks per day to break even on the price.

The other issue is with itineraries, if say, your cruise is 7 nights and you have 6 port days where you will be off the ship for most of the day, then you may only have the evenings in which to drink. Again if you are not a big drinker then you may not get the best value out of an expensive package.

However, you do have a few options...

I believe the deluxe beverage package (which you both have to purchase if in the same cabin and will cost a fair bit), can also be used for premium coffee and tea (ideal for breakfast), soda (which is what you say you like), fresh orange juice and non-alcoholic drinks (Mocktails) too.

If not bothered about alcohol, then the refreshment package will get you thinks like Coke, Mocktails, Orange juice, Premium coffee/tea and soda. Plus IIRC you don't both need to purchase this, so you could share it between you - unless anyone knows different. If this is the case then this package could work out at a quarter of the price of the deluxe package.

There is a soda option too which about half the price again but is only for soda, so no good if you want a nice premium coffee/tea. 

I would say your best option, if not bothered too much about alcohol, is the refreshment package which gets you all the things you should enjoy and then you could just pay for any alcoholic beverages as you go.

Hope this helps you.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
spelling

14 minutes ago, Mick B said:

If not bothered about alcohol, then the refreshment package will get you thinks like Coke, Mocktails, Orange juice, Premium coffee/tea and soda. Plus IIRC you don't both need to purchase this, so you could share it between you - unless anyone knows different. If this is the case then this package could work out at a quarter of the price of the deluxe package.

You're not allowed to share the drink packages.  

But yes, one needs to estimate how many drinks they would purchase each day (on average) to decide if a package is "worth it".  Figure mocktails, waters, premium coffee, soda, etc coast $3-10 each.