Mushing excursion on NCL Encore

clbl99

We are traveling on the NCL Encore September 24th. My daughter so wants to go mushing with the Alaska dogs. Its looks like it would have to be Juneau or Skagway because of the times. Anyone ever been on one? I haven't had good luck with cruise lines excursions although I don't want to miss the boat either. 🙂

Any suggestions?

image.png.5baa15209b1a081b63bcc1eb2f2b1abd.png

There is the "real" mushing excursion, which a friend did a number of years ago on a different cruiseline.  It involved being helicoptered to a glacier and going on ice.  It's not inexpensive (last I saw, about $600, probably more now.)  It's a bucket list thing so I'd absolutely have done it, had it been available, but I went too late in the season.  I suspect you will be as well.

Instead, we were bused to a sleddog camp and went on a ride on a sort of cart.  It was OK, especially if you're into dogs, but I need to go back to check off my bucket list item.

How old is your daughter?  Several years ago we did the helicopter to a glacier where there is a dog camp. We got to be pulled on the sled and even spend time interacting and petting the dogs and puppies! My son was only 5 at the time but it’s still one of his best memories. All the grown ups enjoyed it immensely as well. Definitely a bucket list type of excursion. 

We are going back to Alaska next month, but this time we’ll be doing one of the dog “summer camps” where we are just driven to a dog camp that pulls you in a sled through a forested area. I don’t expect it to be as spectacular as the glacier camp, but I think it will still be fun for my now 5yo daughter and now 12yo son. Plus it’s much less expensive. 

21 hours ago, laura85 said:

How old is your daughter?  Several years ago we did the helicopter to a glacier where there is a dog camp. We got to be pulled on the sled and even spend time interacting and petting the dogs and puppies! My son was only 5 at the time but it’s still one of his best memories. All the grown ups enjoyed it immensely as well. Definitely a bucket list type of excursion. 

We are going back to Alaska next month, but this time we’ll be doing one of the dog “summer camps” where we are just driven to a dog camp that pulls you in a sled through a forested area. I don’t expect it to be as spectacular as the glacier camp, but I think it will still be fun for my now 5yo daughter and now 12yo son. Plus it’s much less expensive. 

She is 26 and a 4th year Vet student! I can not afford the helicopter one.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, phillygwm said:

There is the "real" mushing excursion, which a friend did a number of years ago on a different cruiseline.  It involved being helicoptered to a glacier and going on ice.  It's not inexpensive (last I saw, about $600, probably more now.)  It's a bucket list thing so I'd absolutely have done it, had it been available, but I went too late in the season.  I suspect you will be as well.

Instead, we were bused to a sleddog camp and went on a ride on a sort of cart.  It was OK, especially if you're into dogs, but I need to go back to check off my bucket list item.

Yes, I saw that one but I can not afford the helicopter one.

Being an animal lover she will enjoy the one being pulled through the area by sled. You also get to hold puppies and learn a lot about the sled racing and their training at summer camp. We followed our driver online who ran the camp through a couple of racing seasons afterward. Well worth the excursion. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, laura85 said:

Which tour company are you using?