Wondering about transition period for Simply More Expensive bookings vs cruise-only

MarkWiltonM

I wonder how Oceania is going to handle guests in restaurants at lunch and dinner who have beer and wine included versus those who booked cruise only before the new pricing regime. Will the cruise-only guests be quarantined to a particular part of the dining rooms? Will we have to wear scarlet letters indicating we don't get "free" wine and beer"? 

• Haha 1

I expect it will be the same as it always has been with some people on a plan, some bringing their own wine on board, some buying wine by the glass or bottle, and some not drinking alcohol at all.  They've been coping for decades, what makes you think there will suddenly be a problem?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I wonder how Oceania is going to handle guests in restaurants at lunch and dinner who have beer and wine included versus those who booked cruise only before the new pricing regime. Will the cruise-only guests be quarantined to a particular part of the dining rooms? Will we have to wear scarlet letters indicating we don't get "free" wine and beer"? 

I bet they will ask for their shipboard  card  same as pre SM

• Like 3

My TA believes that by mid winter, everyone will be converted to SM. Those on OLife plans may not have to pay for it, and some with the tours option might get additional OBC to compensate for the difference in programs. O’s incompetent IT department is readily recognized and running two programs is probably beyond their capacity. It will be easier to just give everyone free wine and beer than trying to maintain it in Billings. Running the tour credits will be no problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

My TA believes that by mid winter, everyone will be converted to SM. Those on OLife plans may not have to pay for it, and some with the tours option might get additional OBC to compensate for the difference in programs. O’s incompetent IT department is readily recognized and running two programs is probably beyond their capacity. It will be easier to just give everyone free wine and beer than trying to maintain it in Billings. Running the tour credits will be no problem.

Related: Since you have the background to know, what's your opinion on the cost (to O) of a glass of wine vs other drink options (e.g., bottle of Perrier or a glass of juice)?

I'm guessing that it is not a huge amount.

Edited by AMHuntFerry

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

That is interesting - thank you.  We have two longish cruises booked in 2025  (B2B) and were thinking of converting to Simply More. 

Australian cruisers don't have a choice about O-Life and for these specific cruises the Simply More - with basically an unchanged cruise price worked out to be the better deal. 

It's a definite 'wait and see' now, rather than change & a commitment so far in advance.

8 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Related: Since you have the background to know, what's your opinion on the cost (to O) of a glass of wine vs other drink options (e.g., bottle of Perrier or a glass of juice)?

I'm guessing that it is not a huge amount.

Most all of the wines (bubbly is a wine) being served are probably being sourced directly from the winery in cargo container size quantities at $3-$4/ bottle. 

One can move them around the world at $1/ bottle or less. An example of less would be picking up the European wines in Med ports, but max $1/ btl to the ship.

25 Oz/ bottle @5 Oz pours = 5 pours per bottle. Some pours are closer to 4 Oz. 

So to answer: cost is about $1/glass of wine plus labor. A bottle of Perrier is far more expensive.

• Thanks 2

Let me add another benefit for Oceania. In those applicable countries with VAT , these beers and wines would no longer be sold, so this eliminates that additional headache of keeping up with that. Wouldn’t affect hard liquor and HH sales , but eliminates some of the accounting pain.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We’re keeping our OLife booking for our April 2024 cruise. We’ve never bought any of drink packages, but had some wine bottles from the menu. Guess, we’ll find out on board. Hopefully, you and your TA are right and we’ll be pleasantly surprised 😊.

• Like 2