10:15 am flight out with 6 am arrival in BCN?

Eli_6

Because we have to fly from Barcelona to London to Houston, the latest flight out that is available on our day of departure from our cruise next year (BCN-BCN) is 10:15 am.  Ship is supposed to dock at 6 am.  Is this too risky?  Problem is, if we don't book this one, we are having to wait until the following day and get an additional night in a hotel and it puts us flying on Saturday which is always busier/crazier.

Both times we have departed in Dover, we have been off the ship BEFORE 6 am. In fact, last year we were at Heathrow by 7:15 (and it is 90 minutes from port) and this year we were in Cambridge by 9 am after a 2 hours train ride.   (We are platinum and in a suite.) Under this scenario, if we got off the ship even as late as 7:30 or 8, with only a 20-30 minute cab drive to BCN airport from the port, that would still puts us there with plenty of time to spare to make our 10:15 flight. (We also fly business so will have fast track through security lanes and usually get through security in 20-30 minutes.)  

There is some risk I think (weather delays, change in itinerary affecting arrival time, unexpected delay in clearing the ship for immigration/customs), and I personally would consider the hotel expense worth it for peace of mind. But if you are flying business, I imagine you have some flexibility regarding last-minute changes just in case?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, carol louise said:

There is some risk I think (weather delays, change in itinerary affecting arrival time, unexpected delay in clearing the ship for immigration/customs), and I personally would consider the hotel expense worth it for peace of mind. But if you are flying business, I imagine you have some flexibility regarding last-minute changes just in case?

If there is availability, but if we had to push it back to the next day at the last minute I don't know if there would be availability that late.  

I would stay at a hotel near the airport and fly the next day. That’s what I did last month. The Ibis Budget hotel was around $75 USD. Basic, but clean and served the purpose. McDonald’s, Aldi, shopping and other restaurants nearby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2023 at 5:35 AM, Eli_6 said:

I booked for the day after.  Too risky to fly out the same day. 

I would have done this too.  I would have spent the whole cruise worrying about the arrival time.  Now you have a lovely day to explore Barcelona.  Well worth it.  

• Like 1