Stay on the ship?

carbon

Posted (edited)

As for me, I do have a list of favorite ports and SOS ports (SOS - Stay On Ship).  For me, on Royal Caribbean, Perfect Day In Cococay is definitely one to get off at and is my favorite and ports like Nassau, Bahamas and Falmouth, Jamaica are my “SOS ports.”. Plus, you only have a limited time to experience each port and some are nothing but overpriced shops.  The ship itself, to me, is considered a “destination.”

Edited by NightGuardianAngel

Posted (edited)

When we cruised last year with my 89 year old Grandma this was exactly why she wanted to come with us - she just wanted to be on the ship enjoying being taken care of and didn't get off for the whole 2 weeks!

Edited by cnktodhunter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cnktodhunter said:

When we cruised last year with my 89 year old Grandma this was exactly why she wanted to come with us - she just wanted to be on the ship enjoying being taken care of and didn't get off for the whole 2 weeks!

Must confess that I pretty much plan on having a ship based Caribbean cruise next year! I may have a couple of short port walks but that will be it. More importantly my son and fiancée can tour all they like without compromising their choices owing to my mobility issues. They also know that while they are off the ship I will be waited on hand and foot while they enjoy their day.

Best of all family holidays, time together and time apart!

• Like 3

On recent cruises to the Carib,  we found that many cruisers had the same plan to stay on board.("been there, done that")

Guess it  is flexible..and depends.  We usually pick one port day to stay on board..esp if a tender port 

On Ascent, San Juan was a day where  it was fairly crowded at the pools all day ...we stayed on board but did not have the ship to ourselves at all..Outdoor Pool and Solarium were fully packed.

But on Beyond,  when we stayed on board (not sure which port) , we lucked out and enjoyed sparsely populated Retreat pool and lounge areas!  It was great, til folks returned from port,  but we were ready to go anyhow!

• Like 1

Our routine is pretty much the same for all the Caribbean ports excep Cozumel.  We get off the ship, walk around the port area for about an hour or so at the most and then back onboard in time for lunch.  Cozumel is the exception as we always go to Pancho's Backyard for lunch and margarita's.  We've been to almost all of the Caribbean ports of call at least twice and a lot of them are pretty much the same anyway. If you have seen one Diamond's International, you have seen them all.  

On 7/4/2023 at 9:45 PM, RTShaker said:

I always enjoy a nearly empty ship in Grand Cayman. No problem getting a chair in the shade and beverages.

There have been reports of most of the bars onboard being closed when the ship tendered at Grand Cayman.  Was that the case on your cruise?    If so, which bars were open? 

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

There have been reports of most of the bars onboard being closed when the ship tendered at Grand Cayman.  Was that the case on your cruise?    If so, which bars were open? 

Most bars were closed. The pool bar was open, but I'm not sure of which others. The Sunset may have been open as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Our routine is pretty much the same for all the Caribbean ports excep Cozumel.  We get off the ship, walk around the port area for about an hour or so at the most and then back onboard in time for lunch.  Cozumel is the exception as we always go to Pancho's Backyard for lunch and margarita's.  We've been to almost all of the Caribbean ports of call at least twice and a lot of them are pretty much the same anyway. If you have seen one Diamond's International, you have seen them all.  

When in Grand Cayman I just get on an early tender to take a pic of the ship as shown below, walk around for a few minutes and then head beck.

2015-03-3111_44_41.thumb.jpg.b322235e505034183cd09b591364e0ad.jpg20160302_083813_2.thumb.jpg.f630fe6e3e69f1de4ea7c6367cb0564a.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not telling anyone how to enjoy your vacation so if staying on the ship brings you more joy than getting off, stay on.  I think even spending 15 minutes off the ship is just a nice change of scenery, browse a gift shop for a few minutes even if you don't plan on buying anything