Quick Explanation of Ocean Medallion

Trixie21

Hi

So we will be new to Princess- we have booked a Norwegian fjords cruise for next year on Sky Princess- we are from the UK.

We have cruised a fair bit with Royal Caribbean so not new to cruising.

I see a lot of mention of the Ocean Medallion.

Could someone give me a brief breakdown of what exactly it is and does?

I can see there is a thread at the top of the board but I don't fancy going through 222 pages lol.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Could someone give me a brief breakdown of what exactly it is and does?

Before anybody else tells you anything, just know that you're not obligated to use any external technology when you have the Medallion. It's essentially the same as a cruise card but in small little disc form. It will unlock your room door as you walk near it and that's really the main selling point. You will also use it to embark, disembark, check-out/check-in at all of the ports. You will use your Medallion to also pay for anything. And that's it -- if you don't have any other needs, you can just exist on the cruise with the provided Medallion and not bother with much else.

Everything else introduced by the Medallion and formerly done online or in a separate venue is now funneled through the Princess mobile app. That includes (in theory, but as we know, cruise tech is very finicky):

• checking in for the cruise (can also be done online, or basically in-person at the port)
  • ordering food and drink from wherever you are without any delivery fees
  • chatting with guest services on the app's chat
  • finding your shipmates' location (the Medallion is a tracker)
  • watching the safety video for the muster drill (can also be done on your stateroom TV)
  • arranging dining room and specialty dining reservations (must be done through the app to start; can be modified once onboard if needed)
  • reading the dining room menus
  • buying and logging in to your Wifi package
  • reading the daily program for each day of your cruise (your daily program listings on the paper they give you each night is more accurate though)

And a lot of other various things and functions. Again, it's basically a cruise card but not in the shape of a card. Every ship is also outfitted with a ton of touchscreen boards where you can interact with the ship's deck plan/maps, play games, and bookmark daily events for yourself.

If you have any further specific questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by snoozecrooze
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

Before anybody else tells you anything, just know that you're not obligated to use any external technology when you have the Medallion. It's essentially the same as a cruise card but in small little disc form. It will unlock your room door as you walk near it and that's really the main selling point. You will also use it to embark, disembark, check-out/check-in at all of the ports. You will use your Medallion to also pay for anything. And that's it -- if you don't have any other needs, you can just exist on the cruise with the provided Medallion and not bother with much else.

Everything else introduced by the Medallion and formerly done online or in a separate venue is now funneled through the Princess mobile app. That includes (in theory, but as we know, cruise tech is very finicky):

• checking in for the cruise (can also be done online, or basically in-person at the port)
  • watching the safety video for the muster drill (can also be done on your stateroom TV)
  • arranging dining room and specialty dining reservations (must be done through the app to start; can be modified once onboard if needed)
  • reading the daily program for each day of your cruise (your daily program listings on the paper they give you each night is more accurate though)

And a lot of other various things and functions. Again, it's basically a cruise card but not in the shape of a card. Every ship is also outfitted with a ton of touchscreen boards where you can interact with the ship's deck plan/maps, play games, and bookmark daily events for yourself.

Also from the UK, new to Princess and going on a Fjord cruise (although this year)

thank you so much for this breakdown!

I had an idea of what it is and how it works- but you have put together everyone in the most understandable and succinct way I’ve seen & It feels much clearer now

I don’t know what cruise @Trixie21 you are going on but if it’s a 2 week midnight sun one it’ll be practically the same as mine

im hoping to add some kind of review during or after our cruise so if you want, keep an eye open for it & if you have any questions I’ll try to answer 😃 

1 hour ago, david63 said:

@snoozecrooze That is probably the best explanation of the Medallion that I have seen and there is nothing else to add👍

I completely agree!  Thanks, snoozecrooze, for summarising the key points so clearly and succinctly.  I'm a tech dinosaur and a bit intimidated by the medallion but--like Trixie21--I don't feel like sifting through all of the messages at the top of the page to figure it out.  

It might help people like me if there wasn't a "medallion" and the "medallion app," which is rather confusing.  As for me, I'm going to use the "medallion" like the card and do everything else the old-fashioned way.

29 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

I don't feel like sifting through all of the messages at the top of the page to figure it out.  

The majority of those messages are about problems that some users have with using the app - not the Medallion. As far as I am aware there are no, or very few, issues with using the Medallion on board a ship.

Incidentally I have not had any issues with the app.

Edited by david63

Buying and logging into your wifi package.  I understand buying but how do you log in to your wifi package?  We are used to logging in on our laptop.  We buy one package and when dh gets up very early he goes online.  He does not use a smart phone but I do.  How would he login?

2 minutes ago, dickinson said:

You can do this on the laptop as well. I guess I was being a bit confusing at first because I was just thinking mostly about what happens when you're making your first log-in and that's usually on the phone for me. You will basically buy the package and he just needs your birthday and the room number to log in on his device.

49 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

It might help people like me if there wasn't a "medallion" and the "medallion app," which is rather confusing

Indeed, most of the gripes people have made are all about the app and whatever it entails. One caveat I have to note is sometimes your medallion's connection may not be "as strong" when it comes to connecting to your stateroom door so you might have to walk closer or just tap it on the reader. No big deal as long as it still works but you can get it replaced at the front desk without charge.

@david63 @JG&Lcruisingnewbies glad I could help!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Thank you - thats a great summary and very helpful.

We use the RC app quite a lot onboard so the medallion app sounds very similar so that's all good.

I wasn't clear that the actual medallion acts as a cruise card  so thats good info. Does it come with a holder of some sort to go on your wrist or round your neck , or do you have to purchase something on the ship?

We have booked Princess plus so have a wifi package each if I have read it correctly.

I like the idea of ordering food or drink through the app to be delivered anywhere to you- how well does this work in practice ?

I will probably have lots more questions as time goes by , but you have helped a lot already - thanks again !

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Also from the UK, new to Princess and going on a Fjord cruise (although this year)

thank you so much for this breakdown!

I had an idea of what it is and how it works- but you have put together everyone in the most understandable and succinct way I’ve seen & It feels much clearer now

I don’t know what cruise @Trixie21 you are going on but if it’s a 2 week midnight sun one it’ll be practically the same as mine

im hoping to add some kind of review during or after our cruise so if you want, keep an eye open for it & if you have any questions I’ll try to answer 😃 

Hi

We have just booked an 8 night fjords to see how we like it to begin with. Also my wife has a medical issue which Princess were happy to accommodate us with whereas RC were not able to , which is the main reason we are jumping ship lol.

It will be our first cruise since she has been dealing with this so it was another reason to keep the first one short.

We did an Arctic circle cruise last year on Jewel of the Seas and it was phenomenal - one of our best ever - we just loved Norway and the 8 night fjords takes us to all new ports bar one so we are really looking forward to it. Also some of these ports are not going to be open to big ships from 2025 so wanted to do it now.

I will look forward to your review and I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Does it come with a holder of some sort to go on your wrist or round your neck

Comes with a "free" lanyard.

5 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

or do you have to purchase something on the ship

There are item to buy on the ship. It is the same size as an AirTag so there are plenty of other, and cheaper, options available on Amazon et. al.

7 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

so have a wifi package each if I have read it correctly

You are correct.

7 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

how well does this work in practice

It worked fine for me but some have said that it takes hours - that is if it arrives at all.

18 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Does it come with a holder of some sort to go on your wrist or round your neck , or do you have to purchase something on the ship?

I agree with what David has said, but adding onto his comments, you can actually pre-order your "medallion accessory" if you are allowed to order the medallion ahead of time. If not, then just pick up the medallion at port (absolutely not a hassle at all) and then you can buy a watch band, clip, or even a pendant necklace -- all onboard. Prices aren't any cheaper onboard vs pre-cruise anyways.

Alternatively, yes you can search on Amazon for any accessories you might prefer over the lanyard at some cheaper prices. One thing is if you wear a watch, I highly recommend getting the attachment that allows you to tuck the medallion in together on your watch's band (example: https://www.amazon.com/Luke3DP-Adapter-Holding-Carnival-Medallion/dp/B07R6VM499/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=ocean+medallion+watch+attachment&qid=1688644162&sr=8-1)

28 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

I agree with what David has said, but adding onto his comments, you can actually pre-order your "medallion accessory" if you are allowed to order the medallion ahead of time. If not, then just pick up the medallion at port (absolutely not a hassle at all) and then you can buy a watch band, clip, or even a pendant necklace -- all onboard. Prices aren't any cheaper onboard vs pre-cruise anyways.

Alternatively, yes you can search on Amazon for any accessories you might prefer over the lanyard at some cheaper prices. One thing is if you wear a watch, I highly recommend getting the attachment that allows you to tuck the medallion in together on your watch's band (example: https://www.amazon.com/Luke3DP-Adapter-Holding-Carnival-Medallion/dp/B07R6VM499/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=ocean+medallion+watch+attachment&qid=1688644162&sr=8-1)

Thank you !

I'm going to ask one more question if you don't mind.

The MDR seems to operate a system called "dine my way".

Am I correct in thinking then that there are no set dining times any longer on princess ?

So we make reservations in advance via the app and then if necessary we can amend once onboard , as per your previous post.

My wife is celiac and we like to have the same wait staff every night as they quickly become familiar with her needs and you don't have to repeat yourself night after night. Is this possible and if so how do you go about it ?

1 hour ago, Trixie21 said:

Thank you !

I'm going to ask one more question if you don't mind.

The MDR seems to operate a system called "dine my way".

Am I correct in thinking then that there are no set dining times any longer on princess ?

So we make reservations in advance via the app and then if necessary we can amend once onboard , as per your previous post.

My wife is celiac and we like to have the same wait staff every night as they quickly become familiar with her needs and you don't have to repeat yourself night after night. Is this possible and if so how do you go about it ?

True.  No set times.  DMW offers times every 20 minutes and typically seems to be offering up two of the three DR's in the App pre-cruise.  You can make a res for the same time and DR location each night, but be aware that the App does not have the smarts to assign you into the same table and waiters each night.  Upon boarding - say the DR during lunch period or early arrival for dinner that night - speak with DR mgmt or host and they ought to lock you into a table just like the old TD and you can arrive there are your preferred time (or may need to adjust to suit the DR) and have the same wait staff.  Princess promised with DMW to provide the TD experience.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

True.  No set times.  DMW offers times every 20 minutes and typically seems to be offering up two of the three DR's in the App pre-cruise.  You can make a res for the same time and DR location each night, but be aware that the App does not have the smarts to assign you into the same table and waiters each night.  Upon boarding - say the DR during lunch period or early arrival for dinner that night - speak with DR mgmt or host and they ought to lock you into a table just like the old TD and you can arrive there are your preferred time (or may need to adjust to suit the DR) and have the same wait staff.  Princess promised with DMW to provide the TD experience.

Thanks - that all makes sense and will hopefully work out fine.

I am looking forward to a new experience on princess - we like Royal Caribbean ships but gravitate towards those which provide a more relaxed experience and Princess seems to work towards providing that also. 

7 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Hi

We have just booked an 8 night fjords to see how we like it to begin with. Also my wife has a medical issue which Princess were happy to accommodate us with whereas RC were not able to , which is the main reason we are jumping ship lol.

It will be our first cruise since she has been dealing with this so it was another reason to keep the first one short

I will look forward to your review and I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

I’m really disappointed in RCCL not being able to meet your wives needs. But I’m really happy you have discovered another cruiseline who will.

Thank you so much for sharing  your experiences of an artic circle cruise and how much you enjoyed it. I hope I enjoy my cruise as much!

wishing you and your wife a wonderful cruise 😊 

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I’m really disappointed in RCCL not being able to meet your wives needs. But I’m really happy you have discovered another cruiseline who will.

Thank you so much for sharing  your experiences of an artic circle cruise and how much you enjoyed it. I hope I enjoy my cruise as much!

wishing you and your wife a wonderful cruise 😊 

Yes we were quite disappointed ourselves. Without going into to much detail , she has to administer a bag of liquid feed every night through an IV line,  and the feed needs to be kept refrigerated. 

All we need is refrigerated storage for the feed bags - she brings everything else with her. RC say they cannot provide storage - Princess will store it in the fridges in their medical bay and we pick it up each evening. Seems quite easy?

But they have lost our business - we were nearly diamond plus with them after around 15 cruises .

But everything happens for a reason and hopefully we will have a great time on Princess and be happy to book again with them.

Just on that topic - are there any benefits to booking a cruise  onboard a princess ship?

3 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Just on that topic - are there any benefits to booking a cruise  onboard a princess ship?

Not normally (meaning historically I suppose).  However, they have been offering deals earlier this year for folks to stay on board when next voyage not sold out and also deals on quite near term voyages.  The latter bunch may be the same deals one can get on the website however (but I am not certain of that).  It does pay to shop any cruise they are offering on board and see if the "deal" is anything really special or not.  Helps if you have internet package (MedallionNet), but access to Princess.com is free. 

Do you have a TA that gives you a discount off the cruise fare?  If so, you are better off to book with them, unless there is truly some on-board promo that is not available to non-sailing guests.

If you plan to cruise with Princess again, purchase FCD (Future Cruise Deposit) while on the voyage and these are used as deposit towards future booking.  Try to decide how many voyages you might book before being back on a ship as these are only available while on board.  You can use one right away to book on board, or just let it sit until needed.  They now expire after one year and the funds are refunded back to you if that happens.  You can call in and ask for an extension if needed, but you'd want to be sure you were going to book a cruise and use it.  You can buy multiple FCD's and you need one for each person.

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not normally (meaning historically I suppose).  However, they have been offering deals earlier this year for folks to stay on board when next voyage not sold out and also deals on quite near term voyages.  The latter bunch may be the same deals one can get on the website however (but I am not certain of that).  It does pay to shop any cruise they are offering on board and see if the "deal" is anything really special or not.  Helps if you have internet package (MedallionNet), but access to Princess.com is free. 

Do you have a TA that gives you a discount off the cruise fare?  If so, you are better off to book with them, unless there is truly some on-board promo that is not available to non-sailing guests.

If you plan to cruise with Princess again, purchase FCD (Future Cruise Deposit) while on the voyage and these are used as deposit towards future booking.  Try to decide how many voyages you might book before being back on a ship as these are only available while on board.  You can use one right away to book on board, or just let it sit until needed.  They now expire after one year and the funds are refunded back to you if that happens.  You can call in and ask for an extension if needed, but you'd want to be sure you were going to book a cruise and use it.  You can buy multiple FCD's and you need one for each person.

Thanks for all the information.

What is the benefit to buying a FCD as opposed to just paying a deposit if I wanted to book another cruise ?

2 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Thanks for all the information.

What is the benefit to buying a FCD as opposed to just paying a deposit if I wanted to book another cruise ?

You get OBC depending on cabin category booked plus length of the voyage.  Also, each FCD is $100 and often the Princess deposit is more than that and the FCD suffices.

2 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

You get some extra OBC - I paid £75 for a FCD (which goes as part payment of your deposit) and got $100 OBC

29 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You get OBC depending on cabin category booked plus length of the voyage.  Also, each FCD is $100 and often the Princess deposit is more than that and the FCD suffices.

Ah , that makes sense.

So not using a FCD and just booking on board doesn't get extra OBC , and purchasing a FCD and using it to hook onnoard does.

Does the OBC get added to the cruise you are currently on , or the cruise you book , or do you have a choice?

47 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Ah , that makes sense.

So not using a FCD and just booking on board doesn't get extra OBC , and purchasing a FCD and using it to hook onnoard does.

Does the OBC get added to the cruise you are currently on , or the cruise you book , or do you have a choice?

It is used as a deposit and the OBC is a credit on the voyage that it is used on, so the one you book - not the one you are on.  You should be able to find details of this on Princess.com.  There is a table of how much you earn back in OBC and the min is $25 as long as voyage is at least 6/7 nights.  25% is pretty good return on investment in my book.  You can earn back even more than the $100 invested - if cabin and voyage are sufficient.

Amount of onboard credit varies by cruise length to which the deposit is applied. Cruises or cruise portion of cruisetours 3-6 days: $15pp for inside/oceanview and $25pp balcony/suite; 7-10 days: $25pp for inside/oceanview and $50pp balcony/suite; 11-16 Days: $75pp for inside/oceanview and $100pp balcony/suite; 17-44 Days: $125pp for inside/oceanview and $150pp balcony/suite.

Onboard Credit not applicable to the World Cruise and World Cruise Segment Voyages or non-world cruises 45+ days in length. Instead, these cruises receive a reduced deposit of 5% of cruise fare and a 3% discount off the cruise fare.

Edited by Steelers36