One night in Seattle, near airport, what to do?

hrt4girls

We are stopping in Seattle for one night on our way to Fairbanks.   Rather than arrive in Alaska at 2am, we opted to fly a day early into Seattle and then fly the last connecting leg the next morning and arrive in Fairbanks at a more convenient time.  So we booked a hotel near the airport for convenience.  Now I am realizing that there isn't much to do around the airport.  Our flight will arrive around 5 pm.  I was hoping we could see a bit of the area and have dinner that evening.  The Pikes Place Market will be closed and we don't need to go up into the Space Needle.  Are there things that we shouldn't miss?  Is there an area that we should go to for the evening other than downtown?  We don't intend to stay out late, but would like to have a fun evening before turning in. We are leaning towards using public transportation or uber to get around.  Any suggestions would be great.

The area around the airport is fine during the day, but after dark not really wanting to be walking around . . . luckily it doesn't get dark until 9:30 this time of year.  There is a very nice restaurant in the area at Cedarbrook Lodge called the Copperleaf Restaurant and Bar . . . do make a reservation.  The food is great and they have a pool table in their bar.  It is a unique place, in a residential area less mile from the airport!

On 7/9/2023 at 7:42 AM, hrt4girls said:

We are stopping in Seattle for one night on our way to Fairbanks.   Rather than arrive in Alaska at 2am, we opted to fly a day early into Seattle and then fly the last connecting leg the next morning and arrive in Fairbanks at a more convenient time.  So we booked a hotel near the airport for convenience.  Now I am realizing that there isn't much to do around the airport.  Our flight will arrive around 5 pm.  I was hoping we could see a bit of the area and have dinner that evening.  The Pikes Place Market will be closed and we don't need to go up into the Space Needle.  Are there things that we shouldn't miss?  Is there an area that we should go to for the evening other than downtown?  We don't intend to stay out late, but would like to have a fun evening before turning in. We are leaning towards using public transportation or uber to get around.  Any suggestions would be great.

take the Lite rail into Dt Seattle.  You can get a direct line from SeaTac into Downtown Seattle.  Get off at Pioneer Square ( Oldest part of Seattle), or get off at Westlake station ( I think that's the closest to Pike Place Market).  You buy your ticket at the kiosk ( senior discount available).  The ride takes about 30 min into Seattle.  I like to go to a small pub on Post Alley called Owl and Thistle.  It's like going back in time from the 1920's.  Some say it's even haunted.  Fishermans Landing on the pier is a pretty good water view restaurant with indoor/seating ( not as pricey as Ivars/Elliotts).    The Original Starbucks on the street just behind ( or in front?) Pike Place Market ( look at the Risque original logo).  Avoid stepping in any water puddles on the sidewalks ( it's probably not irrigation run-off), and KEEP AN EYE on you your purse/wallet.  Be prepared for LOTS of hills.

A really cool experience is going put the top of Smith Tower ( used to be the tallest building West of the Mississippi, have a drink in the bar, and marvel at the view.  

Well, how about an instant immersion into the Pacific Rim?  

Take the light rail from the airport to the Westlake station ($3 and 40 minutes.)  

Go upstairs to the street and walk around the corner to the entrance to Asean StrEAT.  This is a fairly new SE Asian food court modeled on the hawker food centers in Singapore (or other SE Asian cities) where there are stalls selling dishes from Thailand, Singapore, Burma, Vietnam... and so on.  (Some sell "adult beverages" too, if that's of interest. 😉 )