Any luck with the Private Journeys program?

woostergirl

Has anyone reached Celebrity's Destination Insiders to organize a private journey tour?

I just received their info because of an itinerary change to my cruise in 2024. But when I email privatejourneys@celebrity.com my email was returned with a delivery failure notice.

For those that have gone on excursions planned by the Private Journey program, what did you do and would you do it again?

Many thanks!

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 9.23.20 AM.png

• 8 months later...

This is a great way to do it. Have used them numerous times.

They will customize just for you. Love the one on one guides. Walk off the ship and they are right there waiting for you. Come back on time, ensuring you see what you came for.

Sure, more cost than in doing groups, but every moment ashore is personalized according to your wants.

No lines. No waiting. Awesome!

11 hours ago, buncosquad said:

This is a great way to do it. Have used them numerous times.

They will customize just for you. Love the one on one guides. Walk off the ship and they are right there waiting for you. Come back on time, ensuring you see what you came for.

Sure, more cost than in doing groups, but every moment ashore is personalized according to your wants.

No lines. No waiting. Awesome!

never done it and, apart from the cost, dealing through third parties has no appeal. On other similar threads passenger have reported that you can get a very similar experience by booking through companies like Toursbylocals (you deal direct with the guide) at a fraction of the cost. One advantage Private Journeys does have is that you can pay using OBC 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, the penguins said:

never done it and, apart from the cost, dealing through third parties has no appeal. On other similar threads passenger have reported that you can get a very similar experience by booking through companies like Toursbylocals (you deal direct with the guide) at a fraction of the cost. One advantage Private Journeys does have is that you can pay using OBC 

My overriding concern when traveling is ease of process and avoiding crowds, not cost.

It's a vacation. I want to delegate everything to be done.

When it comes to sea based travel, I like my cruise company to handle everything and I like all my shore excursion tickets in my room on day one.

Sure, I pay more. But, love the simplicity of working with one company for all of it.

Celebrity and their Private Journeys have been very good.

Edited by buncosquad

7 minutes ago, buncosquad said:

My overriding concern when traveling is ease of process and avoiding crowds, not cost.

When it comes to sea based travel, I like my cruise company to handle everything and I like all my shore excursion tickets in my room on day one.

Sure, I pay more. But, love the simplicity of working with one company for all of it.

Celebrity and their Private Journeys have been very good.

I get that. However, unless I have totally misunderstood Private Journeys, you do the basic work by telling Private Journeys what you want/don't want etc. PJ then contacts a local supplier and comes back to you with a suggested  programme which you accept/amend etc. At each stage PJ is acting as a "middle man" and you are never dealing with the Guide who will be providing the service. With a company like TBL from day one you deal direct with your chosen guide making it very simple to get exactly what you want. Everything is confirmed and you have the full confirmation/paperwork before you leave home. Full refund if the ship doesn't dock/you are refused disembarkation (or cancel for any reason insurance at an extra cost), guarantee to get you to the next port should you miss the ship.

Choice is good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

I get that. However, unless I have totally misunderstood Private Journeys, you do the basic work by telling Private Journeys what you want/don't want etc. PJ then contacts a local supplier and comes back to you with a suggested  programme which you accept/amend etc. At each stage PJ is acting as a "middle man" and you are never dealing with the Guide who will be providing the service. With a company like TBL from day one you deal direct with your chosen guide making it very simple to get exactly what you want. Everything is confirmed and you have the full confirmation/paperwork before you leave home. Full refund if the ship doesn't dock/you are refused disembarkation (or cancel for any reason insurance at an extra cost), guarantee to get you to the next port should you miss the ship.

Choice is good

I think that sounds right.

I'm just saying that I am fine paying extra for Celebrity having vetted those vendors (I don't need to research) and I simply state what I want and it is done.

In my case, ease of process is overriding concern for travel.

I was late on one PJ return due to traffic. Never worried that the ship would leave. I was not a pier runner. They drove me to the gangway. Loved it.

I don't need or want to be flown to my next available port stop by some third party vendor if I run late. I want to be on my ship in my stateroom.

To me, PJ isn't priceless, but the hassle free aspect is.

3 hours ago, buncosquad said:

100% agree!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buncosquad said:

I think that sounds right.

I'm just saying that I am fine paying extra for Celebrity having vetted those vendors (I don't need to research) and I simply state what I want and it is done.

In my case, ease of process is overriding concern for travel.

I was late on one PJ return due to traffic. Never worried that the ship would leave. I was not a pier runner. They drove me to the gangway. Loved it.

I don't need or want to be flown to my next available port stop by some third party vendor if I run late. I want to be on my ship in my stateroom.

To me, PJ isn't priceless, but the hassle free aspect is.

clearly works for you and as I said choice is good.

Contrary to what many believe X does not guarantee to wait if you are on one of their excursions. In the small print it says that in the unlikely event that they don't wait they will get you to the next port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have contacted them several times for different requests.  I have not found them to be helpful AT ALL.  I feel as though they copy and paste their replies.  They aren't reading my emails and understanding what I'm asking for.  I've also not heard back on several occasions.  They've told me stuff isn't possible when it actually is.  I've given them several chances, but don't foresee myself booking with them.

We have used PJ's with good success.  Expensive for what you get but a good experience.  On our last two cruises we have opted for Tours By Locals.  It was just the two of us and a guide.  Fully customized.  You can select the guide from all of the online reviews.  Less expensive than PJ's overall.  We have gone to this small tour/private option since the pandemic hit.  We are done with even mini buses full of people.  We also have done Tours By Locals splitting the cost with another couple (from our Roll Call).