Train to New York Day of Cruise

wheezedr

6 hours ago, nferr said:

I've taken Amtrak several times from Connecticut to Newark to get to the Cape Libert Cruise terminal. I've had no issues,  ...

...And everybody talking about going in a day early for a short trip doesn't take into account the cost of hotels, meals, etc in the NY metro area. it adds hundreds to the cost.

Of course, coming from CT means you are just a couple or three hours away from the NY port - which allows a last minute change of mode to work.  Not the case if you are coming from five or more hours away.

16 hours ago, nferr said:

[E]verybody talking about going in a day early for a short trip doesn't take into account the cost of hotels, meals, etc in the NY metro area. it adds hundreds to the cost.

We are similarly situated. We reside in Flushing, Queens, and we would never think of staying overnight in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or near Bayonne. The no. 7 subway train operates regularly, and we rely on it routinely to reliably get to appointments in Manhattan. It is less than an hour to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, a bit longer for Brooklyn or Bayonne.

It is not a firm rule that one should travel to, and stay overnight, at the port prior to embarking on a cruise. Rather, the rule is to manage risks. Consider the travel distance, the reliability of local transportation, and even the duration and cost of the cruise voyage itself. There will always be some risk, and so one should evaluate and manage those risks individually, rather than keeping to a firm and arbitrary rule.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:17 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, coming from CT means you are just a couple or three hours away from the NY port - which allows a last minute change of mode to work.  Not the case if you are coming from five or more hours away.

Actually the time from BWI to New York for the Vermonter is 2:46.  That gets me in at 11:30 which is lots of time to cross the river to Brooklyn.  There are even a couple of later trains which would work but the 8:35 seems a fair play, given that our hotel will only be 5-10 minutes from the BWI train station 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, navybankerteacher said:

True of course.  About an hour and 15 minutes to NYC and 90 minutes or so to Newark by train. I'm in Bridgeport about 60 miles from NYC.  

I was more commenting on those saying to always arrive a day early and get a hotel etc. Really depends on circumstances. I would never fly in day of cruise.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 1

All of my previous cruises have been from Florida and New Orleans, and I've always flown in the night before.  I'm looking into taking a cruise out of NY next month, and I'm totally comfortable with taking the train the day of.  I'm coming from DC.  I travel the NE corridor trains a lot, and they are pretty reliable and plentiful.  My plan is to take a train that get me to Penn station around noon, then walk to the terminal.    One of the nice things about leaving out of NY is the cost savings (travel, lodging, etc).  And if something goes wrong on the morning of travel, there are plenty of alternative options to get to NY.  Greyhound, Peter Pan, flixbus, megabus.  and I can drive, or rent a car if something goes wrong in route

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

My plan is to take a train [from Washington, D.C.] that get me to Penn station around noon, then walk to the terminal. * * *  And if something goes wrong on the morning of travel, there are plenty of alternative options to get to NY.

If I were similarly situated then I would likely do the same or similar plan. So long as baggage is manageable, nothing beats walking to the pier.

6 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

All of my previous cruises have been from Florida and New Orleans, and I've always flown in the night before.  I'm looking into taking a cruise out of NY next month, and I'm totally comfortable with taking the train the day of.  I'm coming from DC.  I travel the NE corridor trains a lot, and they are pretty reliable and plentiful.  My plan is to take a train that get me to Penn station around noon, then walk to the terminal.    One of the nice things about leaving out of NY is the cost savings (travel, lodging, etc).  And if something goes wrong on the morning of travel, there are plenty of alternative options to get to NY.  Greyhound, Peter Pan, flixbus, megabus.  and I can drive, or rent a car if something goes wrong in route

Following a similar plan, except it would be a long walk to Brooklyn.  LOL

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, wheezedr said:

Following a similar plan, except it would be a long walk to Brooklyn.

From Pennsylvania Station in midtown Manhattan, then a long walk . . . about 6-1/2 miles. From Washington, D.C., better to change trains at Newark and arrive at World Trade Center in lower Manhattan, from which the walk would be only 4 miles. And if arriving at the railroad station in downtown Brooklyn, then only 3 miles. All doable if one is fit, not carrying excessive baggage, and having an hour or two for the walk.

But nothing is as convenient, doable, and pleasurable than the 1-mile walk between Pennsylvania Station and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

But nothing is as convenient, doable, and pleasurable than the 1-mile walk between Pennsylvania Station and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I can come with thousands of activities significantly more “… convenient, doable, and pleasurable…” than walking a mile in mid-town Manhattan —- particularly if that walk entailed toting a week or so’s worth of luggage.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, GTJ said:

if any problem then call the police.

The police (NYPD) have nothing to do with making sure a driver takes you anywhere, and zero authority to compel them to do so. In NYC these matters are handled by the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC). As with most non-emergency city agencies in NYC, the TLC can be reached by dialing 3-1-1 on your phone.

1 hour ago, AFS1970 said:

The police (NYPD) have nothing to do with making sure a driver takes you anywhere, and zero authority to compel them to do so.

There are many policing agencies in New York City, among which is the TLC.

The mere act of a passenger calling, or getting the NYPD involved, can sometimes inspire taxi drivers to do the right thing. As well, a passenger refusing to leave a taxi means that the taxi driver is not earning any income. Letting taxi getting away with unlawful actions is the worst outcome, for it only encourages that driver to continue, and for other taxi drivers, to act unlawfully.

IMG_3274-TLC-POLICE-scaled.jpg

Edited by GTJ

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I can come with thousands of activities significantly more “… convenient, doable, and pleasurable…” than walking a mile in mid-town Manhattan —- particularly if that walk entailed toting a week or so’s worth of luggage.

So says a Connecticut Yankee.

I've walked with my luggage from the 50th St. E/C subway stop to the MCT a few times. Did it more often when we had Cruises to Nowhere but a backpack and one checkable suitcase are fine for this Brooklynite (well it is downhill). 😜

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GTJ said:

From Pennsylvania Station in midtown Manhattan, then a long walk . . . about 6-1/2 miles. From Washington, D.C., better to change trains at Newark and arrive at World Trade Center in lower Manhattan, from which the walk would be only 4 miles. And if arriving at the railroad station in downtown Brooklyn, then only 3 miles. All doable if one is fit, not carrying excessive baggage, and having an hour or two for the walk.

WHew.....you just scared me.  Yes, I was talking about the Manhattan Cruise terminal, which I had read was a nice 1-mile walk.  what terminal is 6.5 miles from Penn Station?  I honestly didn't know there were two terminals in NY.  This will be my first time cruising out of NY.

32 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

[W]hat terminal is 6.5 miles from Penn Station? I honestly didn't know there were two terminals in NY.

There are three passenger terminals serving New York: the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, and Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, New Jersey. From Pennsylvania Station in midtown Manhattan, it is one mile to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, it is six and one-half miles to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Bayonne is not readily accessible on foot from Manhattan (one could walk from Pennsylvania Station in Newark, but it is about ten miles and awful walking conditions).

If you're sailing from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, then no substantial concerns with walking. It is the other two passenger terminals that would be of concern. Are you certain as to the passenger terminal from which you will be sailing?

Edited by GTJ
  • Thanks 1