Cruising to New England Best time

I would recommend sailing before mid october. I sailed at the end of October last year and every tour guide commented on how unusually warm it was for that time of the year. I think the highs were in the high 50s/low 60’s. They said most locals that don't stay for the winter have already left for warmer temps. Many of the shops were already closed for the season. I had a wonderful trip but I’m not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if the weather was typical for that time of year

The farther north you go, the earlier the leaves change. For example, the first week of October when you leave NYC is still pretty green. By the time you get to the Canadian Maritimes it's likely past peak color. Late October is usually pretty cold to be out on the water.

Weather is pretty unpredictable. The last few years September has been quite warm. However, it can be quite cold. September and October are still hurricane season, and while we don't get as many up here as they do in Florida and the Caribbean, it can happen.

So.....deciding when to go on a Canadian/New England cruise is a crap shoot at best. We went early/mid September last year and it was cold and rainy the whole cruise. We got home and the weather was gorgeous!

Susan in Central Maine

We sailed Oct 2-8 last year Boston -> Quebec. We were exactly 1 week behind hurricane Fiona.

Weather most beautiful  - nothing heavier than a light jacket needed and rain only 1 dsy.

We saw incredibly beautiful fall colors, even though Fiona had downed a lot of them, so I can only imagine how much we would have had she not come through.

We will be going NY round trip this year Sept 16-29. I think that's just a bit too early, but that's when the ship is going, so that's when I'm going, lol.

If you're not going for fall foliage, I think just check the almanac and go when you're most comfortable with the weather forecasts.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Fall 'leaf peeping' can be quite fickle. We face the same thing here in Wisconsin where peak colors can vary widely. And some years are way better than others.  I would think with a cruise one has to consider other factors and then simply get lucky.

• Like 2

I sailed from Boston to Quebec City in early Sept and we had great weather. I then sailed a round trip from NYC with stops in Newport, Portland,  Bar Harbor, St. John New Brunswick, Halifax at the end of October/early November and the weather was gorgeous. Unusually warm. On the sailing back to NYC, it was so warm and nice, I sat on my balcony for several hours