Any thoughts on these Nordic balconies as oppsed to regular verandahs?

OnTheJourney

Just got an expedition (Great Lakes) catalog (again) and am continually struck by the use of these Nordic balconies. Just from looking at it, I'm not a fan and wouldn't trade it in for being able to walk out (and enjoy sitting) on a regular balcony - which is one of my favorite things about cruising. What was the advantage of doing it this way? Just to be cool and do something different, or possibly a space-saving or other sort of construction-oriented measure? I'm intrigued by the 15-day Great Lakes itinerary, but wouldn't be thrilled with not having a 'real' balcony.

Maybe I'll study the maps and turn (at least part of) the itinerary into a car trip. Already did one to Cleveland, Welland Canal, Niagara Falls, ferried across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc WI, Soo Locks, Mackinac Island, and Munising (lower end of Lake Superior), which, by the way, offers the very nice "pictured rocks" cruise. Haven't looked at the itinerary in detail to see if maybe Viking offers an excursion there. Well worth it if they would.

Edited by OnTheJourney

I think the nordic balcony is practical for the Antarctica Cruises and perhaps necessary so the vessels can go there.  I agree on the Great Lakes ( we live in Detroit) and would definitely want to sit on a balcony some evenings.  Perhaps with fewer people the outside public spaces are often empty. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, deec said:

I think the nordic balcony is practical for the Antarctica Cruises and perhaps necessary so the vessels can go there.  I agree on the Great Lakes ( we live in Detroit) and would definitely want to sit on a balcony some evenings.  Perhaps with fewer people the outside public spaces are often empty. 

Totally agree. Will miss not being able to sit on the balcony while on the GL trip, but they wouldn’t be necessary (or used) in the Antarctica.

• Like 1

The Nordic balcony is necessitated by the constraints of the locks in the Welland Canal connecting Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. The ship has 6" of clearance on each side as it passes through the 8 locks. The expedition ships also have no bridge wings. The alternative would have been to take the space from the interior of the cabin. After our passage of the canal and locks, the crew was busy touching up the paint on Polaris (there were several scraps that could be heard). The ships were purpose built with the ability to transit these locks a primary consideration. We were in a window seat in Manfredi's when we transited one of them and it was a bit disconcerting how close we were. While we couldn't sit out on a veranda, we thoroughly enjoyed the Nordic balcony. There is a wide interior ledge capable of holding a drink, binoculars, or whatever and at a height that was quite comfortable for me (6+ ft) and my wife (5' 4") to comfortably lean on and peer out and wave when appropriate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deec said:

would definitely want to sit on a balcony some evenings

We loved being out on the balcony in Antarctica (not with Viking). It was most convenient to have the room a step away so as to go in and out to get warm!.

3 hours ago, janetcbl said:

but they wouldn’t be necessary (or used) in the Antarctica.

Like I said, we sure used ours on the Celebrity Infinity! 

45 minutes ago, ropomo said:

The ships were purpose built with the ability to transit these locks a primary consideration.

I see. Thanks so much for the explanation!