Electric Car Charging Solution in Fort Lauderdale

timcreech

We have a Chevy Bolt EUV and are able to drive to the port in Fort Lauderdale in a couple of hours.  The challenge is that we would need to charge before returning home and that may take several hours.  

Has anyone figured out a solution to have your vehicle charge while you are on the cruise?

1 hour ago, timcreech said:

We have a Chevy Bolt EUV and are able to drive to the port in Fort Lauderdale in a couple of hours.  The challenge is that we would need to charge before returning home and that may take several hours.  

Has anyone figured out a solution to have your vehicle charge while you are on the cruise?

I'm not sure what you are asking.  I don't think you want to tie up a charging station for 7 days.  Do you want someone to charge your car, and park it while you are cruising?

Sounds like a business opportunity.

• Like 1

There are apps that will give you the location of charging stations. 

You need a fast charger that will take an hour or so to charge after wards. You can also charge before you park at the port.EV charging stations in Fort Lauderdale - ChargeFinder

Also check if any off site airport parking has chargers.  In Atlanta we have several airport parking that you can reserve.

Edited by irishgal432

7 hours ago, timcreech said:

Get a normal gas powered car

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Get a full charge before leaving it in the terminal. A Bolt should be able to sit for a few weeks and still have a healthy charge. A lot depends on the age of the battery.

That is possible, but would mean probably staying the night before.  Was looking for any parking locations that may provide a charging service.

I have a gas vehicle also but like the bolt for longer drives.

I think you have your answer! Use your gas car when the electric is not practical, such as this. 

23 minutes ago, LindaD22 said:

I think you have your answer! Use your gas car when the electric is not practical, such as this. 

It would be practical if they had a place to charge. Since they have not figured out how to find a public charger which actually are all over but not dependable they probably should drive the gas car. That is not unusual as most EV owners charge at home and not at public chargers. Going on a cruise they would probably want to be certain of a good charging place. Really only Tesla owners have good charging stations. If they had a Tesla it would be so easy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It would be practical if they had a place to charge. Since they have not figured out how to find a public charger which actually are all over but not dependable they probably should drive the gas car. That is not unusual as most EV owners charge at home and not at public chargers. Going on a cruise they would probably want to be certain of a good charging place. Really only Tesla owners have good charging stations. If they had a Tesla it would be so easy. 

Thanks Charles for your clarity.  I have taken my gas car many times to the port.  

I was looking to see if anyone had an innovative solution to charging while on the cruise.

Hi Tim, we drove our VW ID4 from Dallas to Galveston.  We researched chargers along the way and stopped twice for short charges- both around 15 minutes.  Galveston had a few charging stations and actually our hotel Home2Suites by Hilton had several charging stations.  There were some public ones around but they weren't really fast chargers.  If you don't want to come in the night before, I suggest going down early and finding a charger that you can use before the cruise.  There's probably plenty of options in FT L.  We had to stop once on the way home to charge but again, only around 15 minutes.  We used Electrify America chargers.  Don't remember what the one at the hotel was called but it worked great and they had several.  If there are Home2Suites in FtL, you might call and ask them if you can use their chargers.  They are free to hotel guests but they might let the public use them for a fee.