Recommendations on New York Hotel

sayvan

Sailing out of New York (Manhattan Terminal) for the first time in October and looking for any advice from anyone familiar with hotels.  We will be driving into New York and plan to park at the port for the cruise so will require a hotel either with parking or a lot nearby. We plan to tour the city for a couple of days before the cruise (without the car). I’m looking at the Lexington Hotel, Ink 48 or possibly across the river at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour which has onsite parking. Anyone have any thoughts on these or other options? 

Edited by sayvan

3 hours ago, sayvan said:

We will be driving into New York and plan to park at the port for the cruise so will require a hotel either with parking or a lot nearby.

No matter where you stay in Manhattan, you will pay dearly for parking. Parking on the low end at a garage is going to be around $50 a night and onsite hotel valet parking in Midtown can range from $70-90 a night. There might be a small exception or two but not much. If there is a scenario you don't bring the car into Manhattan until the cruise it might be worth looking at. 

I’m looking at the Lexington Hotel, Ink 48

Someone on here might have a first hand opinion on the Ink 48-- I have not stayed there. I did stay at the Lexington Hotel one time and the rooms are microscopic-- even by New York standards. You could lay in bed and adjust the TV with your foot. It was last minute and I was getting greedy about earning Marriott points-- I don't regret it but I wouldn't do it again. 

or possibly across the river at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour which has onsite parking

This helps the car issue but you'll be spending time and money getting back and forth to Manhattan to tour around. Frankly I would rather be in Manhattan if that's where I was wanting to spend time. The Sheraton serves one purpose-- to make your parking for a couple of nights cheaper. But it makes all other aspects of your trip more time consuming and difficult. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Folks have reported staying in NJ and parking at the ferry terminal for about $20 a day for the length of their cruise, 8 minute ferry to Manhattan. You could stay at the Sheraton, ferry back and forth, and then ferry over for your cruise. https://www.nywaterway.com/lincolnharborweehawkenroute.aspx

Ferry comes with free bus transportation in Manhattan as well. The routes run basically West to East and back on a set schedule (pending traffic). The Furtherest route downtown is across 23rd St and furtherest uptown is 57th Street.
https://www.nywaterway.com/BusStopsSchedules.aspx

• Like 1

Thanks some great info.  I’m leaning to the Sheraton.  Seems like that may be a good option.  If we drive to the cruise terminal from the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour does anyone have any thoughts on that? Is it an easy drive? 

1 hour ago, sayvan said:

Thanks some great info.  I’m leaning to the Sheraton.  Seems like that may be a good option.  If we drive to the cruise terminal from the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour does anyone have any thoughts on that? Is it an easy drive? 

It has been more than a decade since I sailed from MCT, so others will be more current but I would suggest after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel go up 10th Avenue not 12th. Left onto 55th street then at the light go across 12th to the road leading to MCT.

I made the mistake of going up 12th Avenue on my first sailing from MCT. Waited so long at a traffic light to turn into MCT that we got out of the car and walked to the terminal because it was faster. Second time, following directions above, there was no waiting at a traffic light and no walking the streets, pulled directly to the drop zone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

It has been more than a decade since I sailed from MCT, so others will be more current but I would suggest after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel go up 10th Avenue not 12th. Left onto 55th street then at the light go across 12th to the road leading to MCT.

I made the mistake of going up 12th Avenue on my first sailing from MCT. Waited so long at a traffic light to turn into MCT that we got out of the car and walked to the terminal because it was faster. Second time, following directions above, there was no waiting at a traffic light and no walking the streets, pulled directly to the drop zone.

We are west of NYC and that’s how we go, pretty easy.

• Like 1