Future Cruise Certificate extension

ak1004

Can the Future Cruise Certificate be extended beyond one year? We got the certificate last September, my understanding is that 2025 itineraries will be released mid September, so I probably won't be able to book before it expires. 

Was anyone successful in extending it beyond one year?

2 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

@ak1004I would call the O booking number found on their website and get a O agent. You will need your TA to do this as a go between if you booked with one originally.  Take a look at the BBB page as FCC’s have become complicated.  

Thank you, but this was booked on board and no specific booking. And TA was not involved yet.

I do not believe it can be extended

Maybe book something   then you can use the one time move option to select another sailing

Best to call  your TA or  O  to be sure

Do you have  the paperwork for the FCC ?  I would think  the details would be in the fine print

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My TA spoke to Oceania, they said they may be able to extend it, they said to check back just prior to the expiration date and will see about getting them extended

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Lost money.

I don’t believe this is accurate. When I purchased my FCC, I was told I can ask for a refund. If you let it expire, then yes, you lose the money. If you ask for a refund before expiration, I was told there will be no trouble to receive a refund.

• Like 1

We have had one experience with this, although it was for a much shorter period of time.  Our first Oceania cruise was on Marina in October, 2021.  On October 25, 2021, during the cruise, we received letters offering us each a future cruise credit of $250, which had to be on a cruise booked within one year, and for a cruise leaving in less than two years.  We had booked, while onboard, the November 3, 2023 Panama Canal cruise on Vista.  So the sailing was 9 days past the expiration date of the FCC's.  Our TA called Oceania on our behalf, and was able to get the FCC's applied to this cruise.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Lost money.

Well, that's a bummer.  Fortunately, my TA is having it applied to a cruise we are on in January 2024.  The FCC expires at the end of August 2023.

8 minutes ago, TFree said:

We have had one experience with this, although it was for a much shorter period of time.  Our first Oceania cruise was on Marina in October, 2021.  On October 25, 2021, during the cruise, we received letters offering us each a future cruise credit of $250, which had to be on a cruise booked within one year, and for a cruise leaving in less than two years.  We had booked, while onboard, the November 3, 2023 Panama Canal cruise on Vista.  So the sailing was 9 days past the expiration date of the FCC's.  Our TA called Oceania on our behalf, and was able to get the FCC's applied to this cruise.

Tom & Judy

You are confusing a FC Credit with

a FC Certificate of which this thread is about.

The OP did the best thing and worked it with their Travel Agent and Oceania.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Well, that's a bummer.  Fortunately, my TA is having it applied to a cruise we are on in January 2024.  The FCC expires at the end of August 2023.

There may be a difference between an FCCertificate bought on board, and an FCCredit for a cancelled cruise.  Fortunately, I have never been in a situation where I don’t have my eye on a future  cruise 🧐.

17 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I don’t believe this is accurate. When I purchased my FCC, I was told I can ask for a refund. If you let it expire, then yes, you lose the money. If you ask for a refund before expiration, I was told there will be no trouble to receive a refund.

This is correct. 

Directly from the certificate T&C:

"Certificate cancellations are fully refundable up until expiration."

However, our next O cruise is in November 2024, so we would definitely like to use it for 2025 sailing, hence the extension request.

11 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

There may be a difference between an FCCertificate bought on board, and an FCCredit for a cancelled cruise.  Fortunately, I have never been in a situation where I don’t have my eye on a future  cruise 🧐.

It was an FCCertificate purchased on board.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

You are confusing a FC Credit with

a FC Certificate of which this thread is about.

The OP did the best thing and worked it with their Travel Agent and Oceania.

You are right.  Sorry for my confusion.

Tom & Judy

19 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

One thing to keep in mind when asking for a refund of a FCC, I believe you will have to pay back the credit you received on the cruise where you purchased the FCC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

Personally I wouldn’t wait for it to almost expire before getting it straightened out.  Is the TA remembering to do this or do you have to mark it on your calendar?  It’s something O can answer right now.  

I will have to remember it, but not much I can do at this point. In any case, I can cancel it anytime if they still not able to extend it 2-3 weeks before expiration.

3 hours ago, grifdoglover said:

Personally I wouldn’t wait for it to almost expire before getting it straightened out.  Is the TA remembering to do this or do you have to mark it on your calendar?  It’s something O can answer right now.  

Why put O in a corner? If ak1004 wanted to book a currently available cruise, it would have been done.

Absolutely no harm in letting it ride and then seeing if O will allow its use on the next cruise release. Cancellation is always as easy later as it is today. 🥂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Why put O in a corner? If ak1004 wanted to book a currently available cruise, it would have been done.

Absolutely no harm in letting it ride and then seeing if O will allow its use on the next cruise release. Cancellation is always as easy later as it is today. 🥂

Exactly.

I understand that they want to wait and see if maybe I would book something before it expires. And I would - but we are fully book till the end of 2024. Maybe Allura will have something attractive and we can use it. But we also have another certificate that we got on our last cruise in May

2 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

One thing to keep in mind when asking for a refund of a FCC, I believe you will have to pay back the credit you received on the cruise where you purchased the FCC. 

Correct.