What's this I hear about Vintage Room??

Leejnd4

11 hours ago, Lady Dinero said:

In sum. the vintage room is paired dining and a fixed menu and none of the VR references here are about something virtual?

Correct. 😉 It's a wine-pairing dinner in a special room used only for that. They only offer it on select nights (provided they have enough passengers who've signed up for it), or you can book the whole room if you have 12 people. Here's how Crystal describes it:

A unique gourmet food and wine pairing restaurant that offers an educational dining experience while enjoying some of the best vintages at sea.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Correct. 😉 It's a wine-pairing dinner in a special room used only for that. They only offer it on select nights (provided they have enough passengers who've signed up for it), or you can book the whole room if you have 12 people. Here's how Crystal describes it:

A unique gourmet food and wine pairing restaurant that offers an educational dining experience while enjoying some of the best vintages at sea.

You can (or used to be able to) book it and pay for 12 or 14 guests, while having it as an even more intimate occasion. In that case, iirc, wines are even more elevated than otherwise, since they don’t expect to be opening as many bottles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, May B said:

You can (or used to be able to) book it and pay for 12 or 14 guests, while having it as an even more intimate occasion. In that case, iirc, wines are even more elevated than otherwise, since they don’t expect to be opening as many bottles.

That's correct. We've booked it for less people and that allows you to have better wines.  Also in the past there were three different menus where you could select everything from one menu or select items from each of the three menus.

Also as a reminder, in addition to the VR dinners, depending on itinerary and interest they offer a VR lunch which was offered at a low cost as it has fewer courses and less pairings. This might be one involving champagne or wine pairings.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

We did this several times with good friends…great food, wines and lots of wonderful memories.

Nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

That's correct. We've booked it for less people and that allows you to have better wines.  Also in the past there were three different menus where you could select everything from one menu or select items from each of the three menus.

Also as a reminder, in addition to the VR dinners, depending on itinerary and interest they offer a VR lunch which was offered at a low cost as it has fewer courses and less pairings. This might be one involving champagne or wine pairings.

Keith

If they have a "Guest Chef" onboard they will also sometimes have a VR prepared by that chef. The cost is higher, but the wines can be special!! We did one in 2018 when there was an Australian guest chef onboard who prepard the VR dinner. If I recall, we went through six or eight bottles of Penfold Grange that evening!!🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

If they have a "Guest Chef" onboard they will also sometimes have a VR prepared by that chef. The cost is higher, but the wines can be special!! We did one in 2018 when there was an Australian guest chef onboard who prepard the VR dinner. If I recall, we went through six or eight bottles of Penfold Grange that evening!!🙂

Agreed and great that you remember it. given all that Penfold Grange.  🤣

We did one with a "Guest Chef" one time and I remember we had a chef on from Iceland. The food was terrific as he incorporated local cuisine. 

Keith

• Haha 1

I only started doing the Vintage Room after the Covid restart in the Bahamas. Prior to that my dad went but I figured it was wasted on me because I usually don't like wine very much and stick to scotch.

Turns out, the reason I don't like wine is I wasn't having Vintage Room tier wine. I know there's levels above that, but even the base level Vintage Room bottles were mindblowing at least to someone very unfamiliar with wine.

• Like 3