Emerald Princess L202

krufrank

I’m not sure if this post is allowed but we were just assigned our Cabin on the Emerald - L202. We have read only negative reviews of that balcony but the newest one we found is from 2019. I know the ship had a refurb done to it recently and am wondering if anyone knows if this particular cabin  got upgraded. Main complaint was no glass balcony (overlooking water) but a metal wall instead. Thanks. 

I have viewed an image of what is represented as Emerald L202. The shot is a personal photo, not a publicity shot. The balcony barrier in the photo is glass. Princess lists the cabin as BF, a standard balcony, which would be glass.

A metal barrier on the balcony would make it an obstructed balcony and have a different cabin code. As an example, we stayed in a DW, a deluxe obstructed balcony due to a metal railing.

If you paid for a standard balcony, you got one. If you paid for an obstructed balcony, appears that you got upgraded.

Edited by mtnesterz

17 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I have viewed an image of what is represented as Emerald L202. The shot is a personal photo, not a publicity shot. The balcony barrier in the photo is glass. Princess lists the cabin as BF, a standard balcony, which would be glass.

A metal barrier on the balcony would make it an obstructed balcony and have a different cabin code. As an example, we stayed in a DW, a deluxe obstructed balcony due to a metal railing.

If you paid for a standard balcony, you got one. If you paid for an obstructed balcony, appears that you got upgraded.

Here is the link we saw the pics. Yes the pic is of L201 but it is in the same spot as L202 on the other side of ship.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=639676

@krufrank I will preface this by saying that I don't know how old this photo is (I just pulled it off the internet), but it does look like L202 has a metal railing.

The lowest category of balcony cabin on the Emerald Princess is BF.  There doesn't appear to be a separate category for obstructed balcony cabins.

emeral princess.png

Edited by Abercrombie2019
notified OP

Having viewed the above photo and not being able to verify accuracy of the one I mentioned. Personally, I'd request a different cabin, stating your reasons and you have the photos, both above and on the CC review to show them.  Princess may answer that it's a BF,  but it is clearly not the same as the cabin L206 next door. As I mentioned, our cabin had a metal rail and was considered obstructed, but we booked knowing that. Good luck to you!

6 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

As I mentioned, our cabin had a metal rail and was considered obstructed, but we booked knowing that. Good luck to you!

What I find interesting is that L106 very clearly has a metal railing, but the room description on the Princess website doesn't make note of that.  Every time that I've looked at an Obstructed Deluxe Balcony cabin, the room description identifies that it is a "part obstructed view, non-glass balcony railing".  Strange that they don't do that for L106, L107, L201 or L202 for the Emerald.

31 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

@krufrank I will preface this by saying that I don't know how old this photo is (I just pulled it off the internet), but it does look like L202 has a metal railing.

The lowest category of balcony cabin on the Emerald Princess is BF.  There doesn't appear to be a separate category for obstructed balcony cabins.

emeral princess.png

Yep. That’s the issue.m right there. 

3 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

What I find interesting is that L106 very clearly has a metal railing, but the room description on the Princess website doesn't make note of that.  Every time that I've looked at an Obstructed Deluxe Balcony cabin, the room description identifies that it is a "part obstructed view, non-glass balcony railing".  Strange that they don't do that for L106, L107, L201 or L202 for the Emerald.

Agreed. We are paying same price as the folks next to us who get a glass balcony. Frustrating. 

• 7 months later...