Internet Options - Advice

23 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Just checking (thought I had seen it but can’t find it again) if we have the wifi package with HIA is it just an additional $5 per day to upgrade to premium?
thanks

RosLyn

I upgraded two HIA accounts last December from standard to Premium internet for $209.99 for a 7-Day cruise.  That means one phone was $104.99 or $15/day/WiFi account.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I upgraded two HIA accounts last December from standard to Premium internet for $209.99 for a 7-Day cruise.  That means one phone was $104.99 or $15/day/WiFi account.

The standard wifi package is $29.99 a day and premium is $34.99 a day so why are they charging you $15 a day extra?

Or am I missing something here?

14 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

The standard wifi package is $29.99 a day and premium is $34.99 a day so why are they charging you $15 a day extra?

Or am I missing something here?

There were different prices last year.  I forgot that one of the accounts had three additional devices so should have been $139.99 for two accounts or $70 for each device.  That means $10 difference per day.  That is my best guess on my bill that had no itemization.

Edited by Crew News

I was on a 12 day Oosterdam cruise in June, with HIA and the "Surf" internet package.  On my first login on embarkation day, I was offered the premium internet for a flat $50 for the full cruise.

I also used my laptop as a hotspot for 2 cell phones and it worked great.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - first HAL voyage coming up.

I have been offered Premium Internet for 14 days at $207.99  - this seems a great discount on the $34.99 per day

My question is - I don;t actually need the internet for the first 5 days ... will there be similar offers onboard where I can get 9 days for say $150 ... or is it that if I do not take the full package then the prices will be higher or even daily rate.

Also, if I go for the package, will it be the same price if I buy it as soon as I board? Or is this $207.99 typically a special pre-cruise only price?  I ask because I have OBC I'd like to use on it.

In my experience the pre-cruise discounted price is only good if you book now. Price goes up once you are on board so you would have to pay the higher price to use OBC. 

Also, the best price package will not be discounted a few days in. It may show as a lower price from the on board price because of days elapsed, but not from the pre cruise discounted price you are seeing today.  Eventually I recall it will just show a daily price equivalent for the remaining days. 

Edited by Ready2go11
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ferretktf said:

Hi all - first HAL voyage coming up.

I have been offered Premium Internet for 14 days at $207.99  - this seems a great discount on the $34.99 per day

My question is - I don;t actually need the internet for the first 5 days ... will there be similar offers onboard where I can get 9 days for say $150 ... or is it that if I do not take the full package then the prices will be higher or even daily rate.

Also, if I go for the package, will it be the same price if I buy it as soon as I board? Or is this $207.99 typically a special pre-cruise only price?  I ask because I have OBC I'd like to use on it.

Did they send you an email before your cruise with the discount offer?  How far in advance for your cruises?  We have a 7 day in February and a 14 day in April. 

You can purchase "premium" Internet in advance. There's no email or code that I know of. I purchased premium super deluxe wifi for our cruise in December. Premium Megafuturenet is the only advance purchase option. I would not spend extra money for the premium wifi until I test drove the regular one.

If you think you are going to stream video on the ship, you may want to download your content before you leave home. DW is a crazed (in the nicest possible way) Nebraska football fan. We stream the home radio feed. It's lower in bandwidth and we get the best commercials.

51 minutes ago, pilot said:

Did they send you an email before your cruise with the discount offer?  How far in advance for your cruises?  We have a 7 day in February and a 14 day in April. 

No email, and I don’t even know if the offer is a standard one (not having travelled HAL before)

my cruise is in October and it’s in my planner as available to purchase at that price

8 hours ago, ferretktf said:

No email, and I don’t even know if the offer is a standard one (not having travelled HAL before)

my cruise is in October and it’s in my planner as available to purchase at that price

Do you have the HIA package which includes standard wifi? If so (see answers above) is that you only need to pay the difference between standard and premium wifi $5 per day.

2 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Do you have the HIA package which includes standard wifi? If so (see answers above) is that you only need to pay the difference between standard and premium wifi $5 per day.

Thanks but no, the HIA package is not worth it for us as we only light drinkers ... instead we will get the Coca-Cola package and utilise happy hours for the occasional alcoholic drink. .... Also the Excursion Credit is fairly worthless for us as most excursions are now sold out - we booked the voyage 7 weeks before departure so are having to arrange independent excursions

Edited by ferretktf
clarity
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

currently on Nieuw Statendam. I have single premium, got wife multiple devices. I have been able to share the single sign in via my PC, windows via mobile hotspot. Same for a Pixel phone I have. It is also easy to switch devices via logon.com on the PC and the app on the phone. My wife's multiple devices purchase still makes her log in and log out of her various devices. So my advice, go with a single device choice and log on and off, or get an inexpensive Pixel from swappa, log on with that, and its your router. I know for a fact this hotspot option on pixels has been available since my 3 XL, so anything after that should work. Download speeds on my phone tethered to my pc are ping 123, 11 mbs down. Also an adult child is crew, and they all use whatsapp as the preferred communication tool. 

• Like 2