Iceland Waterfall Excursions

GigiGigi123

I have seen several NCL “waterfall excursions” leaving from different ports Akureyski; Seydisfjordur and Djupivogur. Never having been to Iceland, I would welcome some opinions from those who may have had such adventures…I don’t want to do “waterfall-type” excursions from all 3 ports…but would like to choose one.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, GigiGigi123 said:

I have seen several NCL “waterfall excursions” leaving from different ports Akureyski; Seydisfjordur and Djupivogur. Never having been to Iceland, I would welcome some opinions from those who may have had such adventures…I don’t want to do “waterfall-type” excursions from all 3 ports…but would like to choose one.

Thanks in advance

Gullfoss is worth seeing…IMO.

Cheers…

2 hours ago, GigiGigi123 said:

Thanks in advance

I don’t know what you mean by “waterfall type excursions.” I suspect you don’t mean an excursion out and back to see a single waterfall and nothing else. Iceland has stunningly beautiful and varied waterfalls, and many tours will include one or more waterfalls along with visits to other places showing you Iceland’s spectacular natural beauty. 

In Akureyri, I highly recommend taking a small group tour (van for about 16 people) with a private tour operator and doing their version of the Lake Myvatn tour (which would include the magnificent Godafoss [waterfall]).  Here’s a good description from one tour operator:

https://sagatravel.is/sta020-lake-myvatn-classic/

I also suggest you do some reading and research (including in the Northern Europe forum) and get information about the places each of your possible excursions would visit and decide what interests you.  And you’ll be able to get recommendations of private tour operators in the forum as well. 

Enjoy your cruise!

We recently got back from a trip that visited Iceland. We used Iceland Everywhere (https://www.icelandeverywhere.is/) for a tour in Akureyri (as well as a South coast tour while we were in Reykjavik) and they were great and very reasonably priced (1/2 to 1/3 what NCL was charging and we had a small group). We visited Godafoss during the tour and it is an amazing waterfall.

Thanks for these replies.  Yes, I am just starting my research and this helps! 
To Turtle06:  what I meant by “waterfall excursions” was that excursions in each port have a variety choices as the highlight: walking around a town; whale watching; or going out and “seeing waterfalls”.  I think the waterfall ones sound lovely and, based on the ports I mentioned, wanted some feedback as which port I should choose the most enjoyable “waterfall” excursion.  Your pictures are great…thanks for sharing!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

another vote for a tour out of akureyri that includes godafoss.

This was a great tour.  We were there in August and Ireland was very windy and cold.  Be sure to wear a cap (hood is even better) with a strap unless you want to see your cap sail across the falls.  Gloves, too.   We did waterfall excursions in several spots and they were all beautiful in their own way.  We stayed three days after the cruise and did tours through Nice Tour and loved every minute.  We have another cruise booked in 25 so we can see more of Iceland.