Quebec flight to DC or flight then train?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'll be traveling back to the DC area Sept 30 after a Canada and New England cruise that begins in NYC. Can't decide between a connecting flight through either Toronto or Newark or flight to Newark, then 3 hr Amtrak train back to DC. I've never done an international flight with a connection before and just learned about having to do customs and maybe even get my bag during the layover. That worries me.  Layovers are mostly 1.5 hrs but I'm looking at some flights with 2.5. I don't have global entry. I am comfortable flying into any of the 3 DC airports. A 2nd flight is about 1.5 hrs but with the layover would be similar to train. I've never been to any of the airports in Quebec, Toronto or Newark. Also, I can't take the 5 or 6 am flights, so most of my choices leave at 4 pm.

4 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I've never done an international flight with a connection before and just learned about having to do customs and maybe even get my bag during the layover. That worries me.

It shouldn't-- they won't book you on a connection if a reasonable person couldn't physically make the connection. They take all that into account. 

That being said, if you connect through Toronto you'll be arriving into Toronto from Quebec as a domestic passenger so no need to go through immigration (customs is a different thing). You'll go through US immigration on arrival into DC so might take some of the anxiety away for you.

If you connect though EWR (or take the train) you'll go through immigration at EWR during the layover. Most likely a reasonable air connection in EWR will be faster than switching to the train unless you live in downtown DC. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

That being said, if you connect through Toronto you'll be arriving into Toronto from Quebec as a domestic passenger so no need to go through immigration (customs is a different thing). You'll go through US immigration on arrival into DC so might take some of the anxiety away for you.

Wouldn't you preclear US customs and immigration in Toronto? 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

You'll actually go through US immigration in Toronto during your layover - Toronto is a pre-clearance airport, but again, no need to go through Canadian immigration as well. You'll want to check if your arrival and departure are in the same terminal, or if you'll need to change terminals. 

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Wouldn't you preclear US customs and immigration in Toronto? 

I haven't flown through Toronto Pearson in a very long time (usually take Porter to Billy Bishop when visiting the city). Didn't realize there was pre clearance. Appreciate the correction.