Norwegian Joy adding more cabins and removing spaces in January 2024

shof515

This thread is rapidly becoming one those where one side likes the changes, while the other doesn't. So, regardless of whether you like the changes or not, NCL is going to implement them. Might as well get used to how the ship is going to look and see the bright side. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt NCL is going to reverse course and cancel the drydock because some people on Cruise Critic are upset. That's just my opinion.

• Like 1

I am going to book a 10 night Seattle/Alaska on this in '25. Has anyone sailed this solo and how is it compared to the other ships with studios? If I am flying across the country to Seattle, the extra 3 days on the cruise sound really great to me.

5 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Sailing on her in June 24. Just got notification we got bumped from our original  Club Balcony Suite to down the hall as our original cabin is being recategorized. 

We are sailing June 2, 2024 and were notified last month about NCL moving two of our seven cabins to another deck.   We all were on deck 15 in a row.  I had them move them all to another deck.

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

I am going to book a 10 night Seattle/Alaska on this in '25. Has anyone sailed this solo and how is it compared to the other ships with studios? If I am flying across the country to Seattle, the extra 3 days on the cruise sound really great to me.

There are no studios on the Joy and I don't believe that they are creating any with the upcoming changes.  The cost for a single in a cabin is about 80% of the cost of dual occupancy.  On an Alaska cruise, the Observation deck is a popular spot for whale watching and scenery.  That might be a consideration given that they are downsizing the observation deck on this ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LI_Rainmaker said:

There are no studios on the Joy and I don't believe that they are creating any with the upcoming changes.  The cost for a single in a cabin is about 80% of the cost of dual occupancy.  On an Alaska cruise, the Observation deck is a popular spot for whale watching and scenery.  That might be a consideration given that they are downsizing the observation deck on this ship.

The new 24 cabins are balcony cabins.   There are new plans already on cruise (fruit) .

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

I sailed on the Joy solo last year, or that was the plan.  I met some people in the embarkation hall that I ended up hanging out with for much of the cruise after the first night.  I enjoyed the ship though.  Other than the lack of Studio cabins and some small adjustments to venues the Joy is very much like the Bliss.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 9:26 PM, timf2001 said:

None of the renderings or descriptions they released indicate there will be a pool, only showers.  It is likely prohibitively expensive and/or too time consuming to add a pool during dry dock due to required structural changes.

To add a pool the structure would need considerable modification for the weight per square foot. That would require tearing out structure below the new Spa Area. So no they won’t put in the pool. 

• Like 1

OK this will be the third major renovation to the Joy. The first was to de-asian it for the western market which involved removing some cabins on the starboard side of the OL deck - adding to the OL, now they are going to put them back. Please note that the Joy has the lowest pax cap of the away+ class ships and I believe that this reno will bring it up to the rest of them but not back to the 4000 level that it had for the Asian market.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed a post, but from what I read they are only adding 24 balcony cabins. The other cabins they are just reclassifying. I guess I’m confused about all the people complaining about “so many more people” on the ship now. I honestly don’t think that I would notice an extra 48 people (even 96 people if there were 4 in every one of the new cabins which you know isn’t going to happen). Granted I will miss part of the OL but I don’t think I’ll miss it that much. On our cruise in May, we pretty much had free rein of the OL. It was never crowded. Now Alaska will probably be different but there will now be 48 people watching the glaciers from their balconies instead of the OL.
And on another topic, I am so happy that the Joy is getting the thermal suite. 

• Like 4

On 7/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, LI_Rainmaker said:

Completely disagree.  This is not about making underutilized space better utilized.  First, it is not underutilized space by all, just by those that don't use it which makes it of value to everyone who does use it.  Second, the space is being taken up for cabins, not for other uses.  So all those who were using the space along with all the new guests in these cabins are jammed into the other areas of the ship that are already overcrowded.  So, nothing is gained but additional revenue for NCL.  And finally, who cares what the other lines are doing.  That is not the point here.  There are certain destinations that do pack them in to the observation lounge.  For example, on an Alaska cruise you might find it hard to get a seat there.

When was last time Dawn or Star to Alaska?  Where did I say other lines doing it?

I was on Star to Alaska and the front lounge was a snore fest with ten people during the day.  Even I'll throw NCL a bone on their decision to make the change.  At prime locations they opened up the crew pool area for guests.  The ship was never overly crowded because of this.  I have too frequently seen guests camp out in the buffet for window seats on both ships with and without a front lounge.

7 hours ago, johnrich said:

Maybe I missed a post, but from what I read they are only adding 24 balcony cabins. The other cabins they are just reclassifying. I guess I’m confused about all the people complaining about “so many more people” on the ship now. I honestly don’t think that I would notice an extra 48 people (even 96 people if there were 4 in every one of the new cabins which you know isn’t going to happen). Granted I will miss part of the OL but I don’t think I’ll miss it that much. On our cruise in May, we pretty much had free rein of the OL. It was never crowded. Now Alaska will probably be different but there will now be 48 people watching the glaciers from their balconies instead of the OL.
And on another topic, I am so happy that the Joy is getting the thermal suite. 

Agreed on the new passenger count.

We'll be on the Joy for a spring break cruise in March 2024. My teenage son will be 5% less happy because there is no laser tag or galaxy pavilion but I will be 50% happier because there is a thermal spa, so it's a win as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 8:02 AM, cruiseny4life said:

It sure won't be a long walk for those new balcony rooms to Starbucks and the bar! I do wonder how much more congestion there will be with only one side having the seating that had been available on both before....if they retain the seating on that side next to the restrooms. 

I often wondered what the fuss was about concerning Starbucks!  I guess because I’m a tea (with cream/milk) drinker I can’t relate.  On my cruise on the Joy next year I plan to try an espresso, cappuccino or latte since I believe it’s available in the Haven restaurant & Horizon Observation Deck.  I don’t like the taste of coffee but maybe Starbucks is different.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:17 PM, uneamie said:

This is a link to all the info about this "dry dock" rehab. Looks like 24 added balcony cabins and added thermal spa balcony cabins. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-extensive-refurbishment-for-norwegian-joy

Haven Suite bedroom looks nice.  I wondered if they will configure other suites in the Haven complex.

7 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I often wondered what the fuss was about concerning Starbucks!  I guess because I’m a tea (with cream/milk) drinker I can’t relate.  On my cruise on the Joy next year I plan to try an espresso, cappuccino or latte since I believe it’s available in the Haven restaurant & Horizon Observation Deck.  I don’t like the taste of coffee but maybe Starbucks is different.

Hey there - tea is available in both Haven locations you mention. You'll find a selection of Tea Forte. On our previous cruises, we've seen English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Jasmine, and Chamomille. You'll also these pyramid bags in your stateroom. I've never been a huge fan of Starbucks tea, but I've only had Tazo. I believe they use Teavana tea now (haven't been there in quite some time - since the whole labor busting thing started).

If you're not a coffee drinker, I'd suggest doing what my husband does. In the Haven Restaurant he orders frothed milk and a shot of espresso. He pours a tiny bit of espresso in the frothed milk until it suits his taste, then I drink the rest of the shot. He likes his milk with coffee, not coffee with milk. 🙂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I dont know about the specialty drinks at Starbucks but you either hate or you love the coffee at Starbucks!   There are the starbuck people and the dunkin donuts people.    I think Starbuck's coffee tastes like real coffee. Critics say it will grow hair on your chest

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey there - tea is available in both Haven locations you mention. You'll find a selection of Tea Forte. On our previous cruises, we've seen English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Jasmine, and Chamomille. You'll also these pyramid bags in your stateroom. I've never been a huge fan of Starbucks tea, but I've only had Tazo. I believe they use Teavana tea now (haven't been there in quite some time - since the whole labor busting thing started).

If you're not a coffee drinker, I'd suggest doing what my husband does. In the Haven Restaurant he orders frothed milk and a shot of espresso. He pours a tiny bit of espresso in the frothed milk until it suits his taste, then I drink the rest of the shot. He likes his milk with coffee, not coffee with milk. 🙂

Yes, tea is everywhere…I’ve never had a cup of tea ️ I didn’t enjoy…especially when I add cream.  I just want to try Starbucks coffee since it’s free in the Haven restaurant and Horizon Lounge.  Thanks I will try your suggestion to try milk with espresso…that sounds tolerable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont know about the specialty drinks at Starbucks but you either hate or you love the coffee at Starbucks!   There are the starbuck people and the dunkin donuts people.    I think Starbuck's coffee tastes like real coffee. Critics say it will grow hair on your chest

Starbucks coffee sounds pretty stronge!!!  I guess I will have to add lots of milk to try it 😆 

On 8/2/2023 at 7:12 AM, Sigyn said:

Agreed on the new passenger count.

We'll be on the Joy for a spring break cruise in March 2024. My teenage son will be 5% less happy because there is no laser tag or galaxy pavilion but I will be 50% happier because there is a thermal spa, so it's a win as far as I'm concerned.

I guess it's nice to get a thermal spa but the lack of a nice pool and hot tub pool is a deal breaker for me. I'd be going there to enjoy that since I rarely find it peaceful at the regular pools or hot tubs....As for the extra people, no it won't be that big of an issue but I am one who is not fond of the BIG ships so adding the extra people just makes me cringe. ha!  There are not many smaller ships left to choose from anymore when going out of NYC, which is our port of choice.