Luggage Forward

Shawski

I’m using Luggage Forward for my upcoming cruise round trip Copenhagen. Does anyone know how the luggage is handled when disembarking the ship?  Do I have to retrieve my luggage and pass it on to Luggage Forward or can I just leave for the airport?

Can't speak from direct experience inbound at Copenhagen, but it would be most unusual for any non-passenger to be allowed entry 'backwards' into the baggage pickup area from the 'outside' to pick up bags.  I'd definitely plan on handing them over to Luggage Forward personally.  Will be interesting to hear what others say.

I used them once and in my case, I never saw the "Luggage forward" people. The Guest Relations staff helped me with everything and when I disembarked the ship I went directly to the car service who drove me to the airport. Now, my case may have been handled differently (possibly).....I had hurt my leg on the cruise and they did everything they could to make my disembarkation as easy and smooth as possible. But I never saw anyone from Luggage Forward and my bag was delivered to my home about 3 days after I arrived home, all in tact and no issues🙂Oh, this cruise was Barcelona/Barcelona round trip.

30 minutes ago, bitob said:

There will be a place to leave it. Guest relations will know

I believe that this is the case for the Baggage Valet service run by Silversea.  But they have no involvement in guest arrangements with Luggage Forward.  One has to look for a person holding a Luggage Forward sign at the exit to the customs hall.  Once the person was not there, I was on endless hold with the Luggage Forward office, and I nearly missed my flight.  I am now using the Silversea service where Silversea takes responsibility in getting the bag to the port agent who gets it to UPS/FedEx/etc.

Thanks for your responses.  I hadn't realized that Silversea offered a baggage valet service.  I just called them and was told that they now only offer the service for much longer cruises.

I checked with Luggage Forward about the process for picking up the luggage at the end of the cruise.  I was told that I do not need to personally retrieve my bags upon disembarkation.  They will handle it and see it through customs.  Hoping that they are right and I don't end up missing my flight. 

54 minutes ago, Shawski said:

Thanks for your responses.  I hadn't realized that Silversea offered a baggage valet service.  I just called them and was told that they now only offer the service for much longer cruises.

I checked with Luggage Forward about the process for picking up the luggage at the end of the cruise.  I was told that I do not need to personally retrieve my bags upon disembarkation.  They will handle it and see it through customs.  Hoping that they are right and I don't end up missing my flight. 

Like I mentioned earlier, I never retrieved my bag upon disembarkation and it made it home safe and sound🙂

Not a full Luggage Forward service, but there was a brilliant service in Copenhagen a few years ago that provided arrival and departure luggage service. 

They picked up my bags at the ship when I disembarked and transported them to the airport. That left me free to explore the city since my flight was not until late afternoon. I then retrieved them at the airport and checked them in with the airline.  Very reasonable and everything was seamless. 

Not sure if this is the same company or not, but they offer the same service. 

Copenhagen Airport Luggage Arrival Service - Copenhagen Luggage Service

Thanks Dolcevita Diva.  I'll check into it.

I would love to be able to handle my luggage myself, but I'm recovering from a broken kneecap and I'll be lucky to get myself and my carryon to and from the cruise😛

14 minutes ago, Shawski said:

Thanks Dolcevita Diva.  I'll check into it.

I would love to be able to handle my luggage myself, but I'm recovering from a broken kneecap and I'll be lucky to get myself and my carryon to and from the cruise😛

Ouch.  I recently read about a new service that Japan Airlines is starting...too bad there isn't a similar service you could use for the cruise!  Japan Airlines Rents Clothes to Customers for Luggage-Light Vacation (businessinsider.com)

3 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Ouch.  I recently read about a new service that Japan Airlines is starting...too bad there isn't a similar service you could use for the cruise!  Japan Airlines Rents Clothes to Customers for Luggage-Light Vacation (businessinsider.com)

This would be great for New Crystal guests.

I can't believe that some of the male guests do not own a suit.

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

This would be great for New Crystal guests.

I can't believe that some of the male guests do not own a suit.

Yes, it's been fascinating to learn that apparently so many men who wish to cruise on luxury lines never go to the theatre or to charity events (based on the reports that they no longer own a suit or a tie). 

After reading all of the dress code threads, I've often wondered whether there is a potential business opportunity here (e.g., a Rent the Runway-type program for gentlemen) - perhaps you and @Daveywavey70 could launch this? 😁  

12 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Yes, it's been fascinating to learn that apparently so many men who wish to cruise on luxury lines never go to the theatre or to charity events (based on the reports that they no longer own a suit or a tie). 

After reading all of the dress code threads, I've often wondered whether there is a potential business opportunity here (e.g., a Rent the Runway-type program for gentlemen) - perhaps you and @Daveywavey70 could launch this? 😁  

What a good idea.

Education is the way forward also.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Blame it on COVID, during which time theater and charity events were verboten.  Locked down, those men - with the rare exception of those who still 'dress for dinner' at home - had no reason to don a suit, much less a tux, for a couple of years.  Besides getting out of the habit, they suffered from a more sedentary lifestyle with the result that in the end, their tailors threw their hands up in exasperation, crying "But sir, there just isn't enough fabric here to make a 44 into a 48!" 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Not a full Luggage Forward service, but there was a brilliant service in Copenhagen a few years ago that provided arrival and departure luggage service. 

They picked up my bags at the ship when I disembarked and transported them to the airport. That left me free to explore the city since my flight was not until late afternoon. I then retrieved them at the airport and checked them in with the airline.  Very reasonable and everything was seamless. 

Not sure if this is the same company or not, but they offer the same service. 

Copenhagen Airport Luggage Arrival Service - Copenhagen Luggage Service

This sounds really good.  The day I disembark Dawn, my flight isn’t until 7pm.  The only drawback is the minimum 3 cases.  I’ll have to ask around if anyone else is interested. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shawski said:

This is very surprising.  It may be the case in some ports. However, in most ports access to the customs hall is strictly regulated.  In my experience, one has to clear ones bag through customs (which is often a very perfunctory experience) and then give it to a Luggage Forward representative outside the door.

• 3 months later...

Luggage Forward has informed me they can't handle my bag for my upcoming South American cruise (embarking in Peru, disembarking in Argentina).  Customs issues, apparently.  I'll be looking for an alternative - or just planning to make friends with any number of porters.  I've used Luggage Forward several times and have never run into this problem before.

I used Luggage Forward for years with good results.  But they seem to have grown very fast, and their service has really deteriorated in my experience.  I am now using the Silversea Baggage Valet service.  It is somewhat more expensive than Luggage Forward, but I believe it is worth it.  

31 minutes ago, Carolfay said:

I'm willing to use Silversea's service if it's available to me.  I was under the impression it was only offered to folks on Grand Voyages or similar lengthy cruises.

Not so. It is included in the fare (free?) for many long voyages.  It is available for a fee on most (all?) voyages.  

Information at valet@silversea.com

A great advantages is that, in my experience, the Silversea port agent is involved both in picking up and delivering the luggage.