Electrical Devices

MoBro713

My wife insists on traveling with her own hair dryer.  Viking says that heat producing devices are prohibited but does that really include hair dryers?  Curling irons?  Will they be confiscated?  How about an electric toothbrush?  Is there a place in the bathroom to plug it in?

Thanks

As for the electric  toothbrush- there is a low power outlet next to the sink intended for shavers. Note that it cannot accept polarized plugs (those with one prong wider than the other). We found this out when we couldn't plug in out waterpik.  So if you have a low power toothbrush with the same size narrow prongs, it should work. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MoBro713 said:

My wife insists on traveling with her own hair dryer.  Viking says that heat producing devices are prohibited but does that really include hair dryers?  Curling irons?  Will they be confiscated?  How about an electric toothbrush?  Is there a place in the bathroom to plug it in?

Thanks

I take my own hairdryer all the time, along with a few other hair appliances, and they have never been confiscated.

• Like 1

Here is a link to a list of items that are prohibited on board.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf?_gl=1*i07fv5*_ga*NDU3MzU1MTgzLjE2ODg4MjYwOTk.*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY4OTc4NTE3Mi4xLjAuMTY4OTc4NTE3Mi42MC4wLjA.

It does not explicitly list hairdryers, but does list electrical appliances that produce heat.

HTH

1 minute ago, CannyScotTor said:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf?_gl=1*i07fv5*_ga*NDU3MzU1MTgzLjE2ODg4MjYwOTk.*_ga_24KNYDH1S6*MTY4OTc4NTE3Mi4xLjAuMTY4OTc4NTE3Mi42MC4wLjA.

It does not explicitly list hairdryers, but does list electrical appliances that produce heat.

HTH

Although curling irons are "Allowable Items" and they produce heat.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, millybess said:

Although curling irons are "Allowable Items" and they produce heat.  

Yes, I find it’s a bit confusing. You would think that hairdryers would be a popular thing that folks would want to bring on board, but they are not specifically listed either as being allowed or not.

6 minutes ago, CannyScotTor said:

Yes, I find it’s a bit confusing. You would think that hairdryers would be a popular thing that folks would want to bring on board, but they are not specifically listed either as being allowed or not.

And straightening irons too.

Although, they are strict on the surge protector.  We had a European multi socket surge protector with us after an independent European trip.  It was in our carry-on and we asked them to keep it for us 'til the end of the trip.  On the last day of the cruise it was delivered to our stateroom neatly packaged.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, formernuke said:

As for the electric  toothbrush- there is a low power outlet next to the sink intended for shavers. Note that it cannot accept polarized plugs (those with one prong wider than the other). We found this out when we couldn't plug in out waterpik.  So if you have a low power toothbrush with the same size narrow prongs, it should work. 

My waterpik did not work either. 

5 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

My curling iron has the kind of plug where one side is wider - can this not be used in the bathroom? I assume there's a plug by the desk, but I usually do my hair in the bathroom.

No, it cannot be used in the bathroom.  The desk opens up to a vanity mirror.  The vanity is where I keep my hair "stuff" because it's close to the sockets.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

My curling iron has the kind of plug where one side is wider - can this not be used in the bathroom? I assume there's a plug by the desk, but I usually do my hair in the bathroom.

The outlet in the bathroom is low power.  Any kind of "hair" device there would overload the circuit.

All outlets are not created the same.  Be it A/C power or USB power.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:51 PM, CannyScotTor said:

HTH

That's because a hair dryer is included in your cabin so it doesn't need to be brought onboard. Apparently there are some that might think that they should bring their own hairdryer even though it's an electrical appliance that produces heat, and doesn't need to be brought with you since that 3will be one in your cabin.

2 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

........and doesn't need to be brought with you since that 3will be one in your cabin.

I wish that were true.  My problem has always been to find a universal diffuser that stays put on the Viking ships's hair dryers.  Not to mention that I find them to be heavy and awkward to handle.  I really like my tiny little, fold-up hair dryer. 

• Like 1

You know, we do a lot of independent travel before and after our cruises.  I think I'll stick with my tiny, easy to pack, foldable dryer with a diffuser that fits and that Viking doesn't seem to mind.  Thanks though 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calvin81 said:

My curling iron has the kind of plug where one side is wider

FYI That is called a polarized plug. It’s a safety feature as some appliances, such as hairdryers, require the hot side and the neutral side to be aligned for proper operation. 

13 hours ago, calvin81 said:

The outlet in the bathroom is limited to 0.02-0.04 watts.  It is designed solely for things like razors and electric toothbrushes.  Your curling iron draws in the neighborhood of 200 watts, or about 5000 times what the fuse inside the outlet is rated for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The outlet in the bathroom is limited to 0.02-0.04 watts.  It is designed solely for things like razors and electric toothbrushes.  Your curling iron draws in the neighborhood of 200 watts, or about 5000 times what the fuse inside the outlet is rated for.

There you go.  Introducing facts into a discussion about "Well, I usually do my hair in the bathroom, so I want it plugged in there".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And that's exactly why the cruise ships don't want you to bring your own curling iron, hair dryer, iron, or other electric appliances. Since they scan all of your luggage before you board, I hope they're taking away these things, and returning them to passengers at the end of the cruise (if they can still find them 😊).

42 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

And that's exactly why the cruise ships don't want you to bring your own curling iron, hair dryer, iron, or other electric appliances. Since they scan all of your luggage before you board, I hope they're taking away these things, and returning them to passengers at the end of the cruise (if they can still find them 😊).

Wow!  What's your beef with this?  If you look at allowable items, curling irons is on the list. And, no, they don't confiscate these items.  In your case it's not thread drift, it's thread unread.  

20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf?_gl=1*

• Like 2