Taking a dog on the coastal express

IB2

Does anyone have any experience?  The company website says that most ships have pet-friendly cabins, and lists those that don’t, and I know that (obviously) you have to take dog food etc.  But there’s nothing anywhere about what other facilities (if any) are open to dogs; ferries that allow dogs generally provide at least some open deck space for necessities.  Where can you take dogs on the coastal express?  

I think that you should call Hurtigruten and ask.

The Hurtigruten forum is very underused on CC and you may wait forever to see a response.

I have done a couple of searches - both on CC and Hurtigruten sites.  The only thing I come up with is this, and I would imagine if they have pet cabins, then they have facilities that are for the dogs.  Probably not allowed in lounges or restaurants however.

Is Hurtigruten dog friendly?

Which ships have pet cabins? All Norwegian coastal ships have pet cabins with the exception of MS Nordlys, MS Midnatsol and MS Kong Harald. Unfortunately, Hurtigruten Explorer ships (MS Midnatsol, MS Fram, MS Spitsbergen, MS Nordstjernen and MS Roald Amundsen) don't have pet cabins.

yes, there are dog cabins on some ships.

I would recommend that you contact Hurtigruten, but it is my opinion that dogs must be brought on board in a cage and that they must only stay in the cabin during sailing - windows cannot be opened.

It is possible to air the numden ashore when the ship is in port. Not optimal conditions. The reason for dog cabins is that ships are public transport.

NB: Questions are usually answered quickly in this Forum.

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

yes, there are dog cabins on some ships.

I would recommend that you contact Hurtigruten, but it is my opinion that dogs must be brought on board in a cage and that they must only stay in the cabin during sailing - windows cannot be opened.

It is possible to air the numden ashore when the ship is in port. Not optimal conditions. The reason for dog cabins is that ships are public transport.

NB: Questions are usually answered quickly in this Forum.

It would be highly odd for the dogs not to have any access to deck space, for reasons that any dog owner would understand.

I am in no hurry and happy to wait for replies with some actual first hand experience to come along.

Edited by IB2

59 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I am in no hurry and happy to wait for replies with some actual first hand experience to come along.

I assume that it is not a question of a service dog in the way the question is asked.

Moreover, the answers only applies to the Hurtigruten Express route along Norway's west coast - absolutely not possible with Expedition Cruises.

This is the first time ever I've heard of someone wanting to take a dog with them on a cruise. Your question is so special that I don't think anyone on Cruise Critic has the answer - those who use Hurtigruten as local transport and could possibly bring a dog are not active here. If you want an answer you better have to contact Hurtigruten at booking@hurtigruten.com

Edited by hallasm

• 2 weeks later...

I have found information about taking dogs on the coastal express by HAVILA - I can imagine Hurtigruten's conditions are similar but could not find anything myself - you'll have to ask Hurtigruten.

Havila's conditions are severe and I'd never take a dog except for a few hours: Service dogs ( with proof!!) are allowed. Other dogs may use the ship but only on a journey of less than 24 hours and they'll have to be kept in a cage inside the car on the auto deck.Any visits there have to be coordinated by the reception desk.They are NOT allowed on deck at all or in a cabin.

No dogs are allowed on expedition cruises.

2 hours ago, IB2 said:

but most Hurti ships have pet cabins so they are obviously different.

Likely Hurtigruten accept longer voyages but still conditions as mentioned in post #3.

Still only at coastal voyage as part of local public transport and for sure not expedition ships.

1 minute ago, hallasm said:

Likely Hurtigruten accept longer voyages but still conditions as mentioned in post #3.

Still only at coastal voyage as part of local public transport and for sure not expedition ships.

None of the conditions in #3 can possibly apply if they have pet cabins.

I am happy to be patient and wait until someone who actually knows something comes along.  

51 minutes ago, IB2 said:

None of the conditions in #3 can possibly apply if they have pet cabins.

Yes, conditions will apply even with a cabin.

Please see my comment in post #5 - do not believe you’ll get any answers to your question on CC - not heard about cruisers bringing a dog and locals using Hurtigruten are not active in this forum.

Contact Hurtigruten if you want the exact answer - booking@hurtigruten.com