Carnival differences in Alaska

Happy Friday everyone!

Preparing for our cruise on the Spirit, which is just over a month away.  I've done quite a bit of research and feel mostly prepared (though still not certain what type of clothes to pack).

The one thing I'm not sure of is how the onboard experience differs from Carnival's Caribbean cruises.  A few questions I am hoping someone knows:

1)Are any pools or hot tubs open and reasonable to use, and does Carnival close the dome so they can be, or is swimwear a waste of space?

2) How does the onboard entertainment differ?  Anything they so less of, or anything they do specifically for Alaska?

3) Any menu or food differences?

In general, if you've been on both Caribbean and Alaskan Carnival cruises, what do you wish you would have known in advance, or packed different for the experience?

No difference.  Pools and water glides are open.  There were hardy kids on the water slides while we were going through the fjords.  Pool roof will likely be closed.  Bring good rain gear, it will work as a good windbreaker if you are doing any boating excursions.  I found it pretty chilly on deck while going through the fjords while watching kids in swimsuits.   I found a packable puffy jacket went well under my rain coat to stay warm and dry.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Happy Friday everyone!

Preparing for our cruise on the Spirit, which is just over a month away.  I've done quite a bit of research and feel mostly prepared (though still not certain what type of clothes to pack).

The one thing I'm not sure of is how the onboard experience differs from Carnival's Caribbean cruises.  A few questions I am hoping someone knows:

1)Are any pools or hot tubs open and reasonable to use, and does Carnival close the dome so they can be, or is swimwear a waste of space?

2) How does the onboard entertainment differ?  Anything they so less of, or anything they do specifically for Alaska?

3) Any menu or food differences?

In general, if you've been on both Caribbean and Alaskan Carnival cruises, what do you wish you would have known in advance, or packed different for the experience?

You will probably see more older people is what I found. Everything is the same, just an older crowd.  Have fun.  Check the weather a week before to get a sense.  It does get cold.  The weather can change on a minutes notice

Edited by FastShip24
  • Like 3

Our Alaskan cruise was probably my favorite cruise.  It was a more low key atmosphere.  Less of a party crowd.  Water slides were freezing. My kids went on them anyway.  We were on a different ship, but they did have the cover closed.  

• Like 3

I just got back from the Spirit two weeks ago. I have been on many cruises and this was my favorite one. 
Bring binoculars! 
Hand warmers

Rain gear. I bought two pair of Columbia rain pants and wore them a lot. 
It was a very relaxed atmosphere maybe 1/4 of the people dressed up for dinner. 
I never felt it was a full ship everything was spaced out pretty good. 
When you are sailing to Victoria about 5 hours before you get there is where you have a good chance of seeing orca. We did on ours and the Naturalist will let you know too. 
I will be going back but not on a cruise because of the time at each port besides Skagway. This was my first time so I didn’t know exactly how I would like it. I LOVED it!  I will do a land tour next time to see more of Alaska it was so beautiful and the air was so clean. 
Lastly if you can buy the excursion Tracy Arm Fjord do it! It was worth every penny and it was my favorite one ever however it was cold so the hand warmers helped. 
Have fun!! 

• Like 1

Dress in layers - I was surprised how much the temps varied.  One port day sitting in the sun was so warm we were in t-shirts and shorts and while the teenagers did the water slides.  But as mentioned, while the ship is moving and shaded it can be cool.

Bring binoculars - so much to see from the ship (from whales to eagles to waterfalls).

1) Yes, the pools and hot tubs are open. The cover was closed the entire time even though we had amazing weather. 

2) There were some lectures by a naturalist, but I wasn't very impressed by the one we had. One of the themed deck parties is Great Alaska Bash so I guess pack some flannel if that is your thing. 

3) Nothing special foodwise.

On our cruise, we had mostly sunny weather so I didn't really need most of what I had packed. I could have been fine with what I normally pack for a Caribbean cruise. Bring binoculars, a cheap and light pair you can have with you all the time would be best. Many times we saw wildlife on lido but hadn't brought our binoculars!

• Like 2

Different ship, and 8 years ago, but like others said, much more low key atmosphere. The pools were open, but hardly used by any adults. There were occasional announcements when the naturalist saw something neat to see and she did give talks too. And yes, layers are your friend. We went right around this time, and I still ended up buying a Carnival jacket on board. We did feel that the entertainment was some of the lowest quality that we'd seen in our years of cruising. I hate to say it, but we felt as though there might be a hierarchy of the entertainment crew, meaning the better crew members get Caribbean cruises, while those who aren't as talented get stuck in Alaska. But, we also know that we're not usually cruising for a Vegas show.

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed both Caribbean and Alaska. They are NOT the same cruise experience. It is chilly on board, especially with the wind from sailing when out on deck. You are outside A LOT because you want to see the countryside and wildlife. Once you enter the passage, there is land on both sides of the ship throughout most of the cruise. The pool was open but rarely was anyone in it. We did use the hot tub the day we were in the Fjord after our excursion. The hot water was great but it was freezing outside. (snowing!). On shore, it was chilly in the mornings but by afternoon a short sleeve shirt was all you needed, it did get warm. I packed jeans, tshirts, and sweatshirts. I used them all. For the glacier excursion in the Fjord where it snowed, I had a Columbia winter coat with the zip out liner. I used both pieces. Gloves and scarf. I used a hoody & rain coat for the sea mist during the whale watching excursion. I don't think I wore shorts once.

The atmosphere is different too. There is still sail away.....but it is much more lax. Not the party crowd or atmosphere of Caribbean cruises. Shows were the same, comedians, piano bar, etc same.

All good info.  It is an older clientele mix as noted, pools are open, we went through College Fiord and on the way out sat in the aft pool area hot tun with cocktail in hand.  Alaskan cruises are in a rain forrest, not a tropical rain forest, but it still is. The vast majority of time, the ship will be sailing on the inside passage and almost the entire journey you should be able to see lands sometimes on both sides.  Layers are def appropriate and you will most likely get wet.  There also will not be any steel band playing out on Lido....  Fantastic experience, do it.

Edited by jimbo5544

Just got back from Alaska. I agree with much of the above. The Spirit does have the roof closed unless the weather is really warm. You can for sure use the pools/hot tubs. Deck 3 is a great covered deck to be outside, but out of the rain if you happen to have a rainy cruise week. 

Everyone says layers. Every cruise will vary, but when in the fjords, you will likely need an underlayer, a t-shirt, and a long sleeve (flannel, sweatshirt, etc.) However, this is going to depend 100% on the weather you are used to. It was around 50 degrees in Glacier Bay last week. We were in t-shirts (midwest residents) and some were in winter coats (coming from Florida.)

If you have a great naturalist, their lectures are worth attending! They will give great insight on what to look for / watch for to help you spot that whale spout or the cute sea otters! If you are interested in nature and history, they also will have a lot of great information to share with you!

Binoculars are a great thing to have along! Scanning the shore line and ocean for wildlife is a great way to enjoy your day! 

Have a great time!