Live from Splendor, Copenhagen to Southampton

Gilly

@pappy1022 it depends which is your first port when entering the UK.  We've been in Norway, sailing across to Scotland and Invergordon was our port of entry.  If you're sailing on a round Britain itinerary, then you might not have to encounter the Border Force again, since you're staying within the UK.  

8 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

We start in Copenhagen and our first UK port is Edinburgh so I assume we will get to meet the Border Force.

Yes, I think that's pretty much a sure thing !

5 hours ago, cruiseatc said:

How lucky to be able to do B2B. We are also joining at Southampton. There is a roll call thread and we are hoping to meet people at 6pm on the first night in the observation lounge. It would be lovely if you could drop by...🙂

We're counting our blessings too, @cruiseatc !  We'll try to see you then...😉

• Like 1

Gilly really enjoying your blog as always. Glad you are having a great cruise. 
I see you have the wonderful Glen as your butler. He was our butler in May. He is just the best and such a kind man . Could you please pass on our regards to him , thanks. 
Best wishes, Jean and Bill x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, liptastic said:

Could you please pass on our regards to him , thanks. 

Jean, of course we will!  I agree, he is utterly charming and we so enjoy his company.   Gx

On 7/31/2023 at 12:07 PM, seasickphil said:

I couldn’t agree more with what Gilly has said. The weather forecast before we came did not augur well but in actual fact has been very pleasant, Oslo especially.

I don’t think that I have been on any cruise that has so many young people on, it make’s one feel positively old,🙂🙂 though it does make for a very nice ambience on board, although not so sure about their singing on karaoke night.😂😂 It also caused the staff one or two tiny issue’s in Prime 7 last night, when 19 of them were helping to celebrate a young lady’s birthday.

What are the ages of the young people? 

Older teens mostly, one or two younger people travelling with parents/grandparents (one of whom proudly achieved gold SSS status the other day. Mostly, there are (?a couple of) large, multigenerational family groups noticeable primarily in the evening sitting at adjacent large tables, sometimes having a cross table conversation.

I have a question for anyone on the Splendor now.   How is the Internet?   We will be on the ship later this month and I may have to attend some virtual work meetings while on the cruise.   Is the included Internet access enough?

1 hour ago, rotoal said:

I have a question for anyone on the Splendor now.   How is the Internet?   We will be on the ship later this month and I may have to attend some virtual work meetings while on the cruise.   Is the included Internet access enough?

From my experience, it is much better than we have previously experienced. I have been able to post my photo-rich blog every day with no problem whatsoever.  I will try to remember to get the speed later so you can assess whether it's fast enough. I do, however, think it's location dependent...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rotoal said:

I would say very unlikely, at the moment we are anchored in Dun Loaghaire (Dublin) and a speed check has come up with a reading of  1.1 download & upload speed of  0.7.

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

I would say very unlikely, at the moment we are anchored in Dun Loaghaire (Dublin) and a speed check has come up with a reading of  1.1 download & upload speed of  0.7.

I was just coming back to say exactly the same - @seasickphil we must have run our speed tests at almost the same moment - except mine came back with upload speed of 0.6!!    Clearly my perception is utter rubbish, though I must say, loading my blog each day has been far more trouble-free than previously.

23 hours ago, rotoal said:

When we were on splendor last year you needed a vpn to get interrupted internet. Suggest you load one on before you go 

4 hours ago, seasickphil said:

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

I was just coming back to say exactly the same - @seasickphil we must have run our speed tests at almost the same moment - except mine came back with upload speed of 0.6!!    Clearly my perception is utter rubbish, though I must say, loading my blog each day has been far more trouble-free than previously.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

When we were on splendor last year you needed a vpn to get interrupted internet. Suggest you load one on before you go 

Thank you all - I will load a vpn, and then beg out of any meetings, although I really hate to be totally disconnected

It depends on how much bandwidth Regent purchases. If they keep the same amount of bandwidth as they have today it won’t make much of a difference if a bunch of people are pounding the internet. So I would say we will have to wait for the actual install before we can make a call on performance.

We are anchored off Dun Laoghaire today; another tendered port with a bus ride into Dublin.  We'd booked "Dublin on your Own" today, but handed in the tickets first thing because we were a little tired of the tender/bus combo and Dublin's somewhere we know pretty well.  Instead, we're enjoying a "sea day" for ourselves, pottering about and catching up with this and that.  We enjoyed a leisurely lunch in La Veranda - we could have chosen Chartreuse but since we have a booking there for tonight, we thought better of that.  I must say, even though the ship is sailing full right now, it never feels that way.  Still, today was extra-peaceful and it was a delight to be here.

Time for Trivia now.  I wonder if our team made it back in time?

@liptastic Glen sends his best regards!

• Like 1

Just checked the shipping forecast, winds of gale force 8 are predicted later this evening and with looking at my profile name you might guess I’m not exactly looking forward to this greatly. Could be in for an early night.🤣🤣

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Just checked the shipping forecast, winds of gale force 8 are predicted later this evening and with looking at my profile name you might guess I’m not exactly looking forward to this greatly. Could be in for an early night.🤣🤣

@seasickphil I thought of you as I heard the Captain's announcement.  Hold tight and hope you're ok.

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:51 AM, Gilly said:

Older teens mostly, one or two younger people travelling with parents/grandparents (one of whom proudly achieved gold SSS status the other day. Mostly, there are (?a couple of) large, multigenerational family groups noticeable primarily in the evening sitting at adjacent large tables, sometimes having a cross table conversation.

TY! 😉