New Document for Travel to Europe

nordski

Apparently in 2024 visitors to the Schengen Area  from countries such as Canada, the USA, and the UK, will need to fill out a new form as part of the Europe Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS).

The form will be required for those between 18 and 70, covers visits up to 90 days long, will be linked to your passport. and will cost 7 Euros.

It also appears that the application can be filled out online and the rationale is to provide anther layer of security.

Of course, details of this plan may change before implementation,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nordski said:

Apparently in 2024 visitors to the Schengen Area  from countries such as Canada, the USA, and the UK, will need to fill out a new form as part of the Europe Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS).

Apparently is the operative word.  Implementation has been postponed as many times as the closing of the Venice cruise port!  Now they are saying "2024" but no actual date.  Having paid for and wasted a New Zealand E-visa when my cruise was cancelled due to Covid, I'm not getting one of these until they actually implement it and my trip is coming up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Yes.  Visa required for travel for US and since you are from Canada, I think, you too?  Not for certain yet, but looks quite likely.  No more spontaneous trips to Europe.

How spontaneous do you need?

There is no reason to suggest that these will take any longer than the ESTA many nationalities need in order to travel to the US.

And about a third of the price if the 7 Euros cost is accurate.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Yes.  Visa required for travel for US and since you are from Canada, I think, you too?  Not for certain yet, but looks quite likely.  No more spontaneous trips to Europe.

It’s not a visa. It’s an on line electronic travel authorization. It should get approved in about an hour. How spontaneous do you plan on being?  The US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand all currently have virtually the same thing. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

This is the article I read about the new travel requirements.  For the record, the article refers to this as a visa, although not a typical visa.  Here is the article:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/europe-visa/

Thanks for posting this.

I did not link to my source in my initial post as it would probably be paywalled.

• Like 1