Transfer from Galveston Port to Houston Airport

SpotsForLisa

13 minutes ago, SpotsForLisa said:

Has anyone used the Norwegian Transfer Service to get from port in Galveston back to airport in Houston the morning of return?  Detail appreciated please...

Cruising in February 2024.

Thanks,

isa

Which airport?  HOU or IAH?

There are several transfer services as well as NCLs service.  If you do an internet search for Galveston pier to airport shuttle you will find them.  Someone here posted recently about using the one with “ limousine “ in the name and another used the “express” one.  Both were pleased.

most service both airports.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

There are several transfer services as well as NCLs service.  If you do an internet search for Galveston pier to airport shuttle you will find them.  Someone here posted recently about using the one with “ limousine “ in the name and another used the “express” one.  Both were pleased.

most service both airports.

I booked my transfers with Galveston Limo.  Point to point private vehicle (Cadiallac).  Expensive but so's booking the Haven.

I checked with Galveston Express.  They do shared shuttles.  Much less expensive.  Charge extra for any pickup not at the airport.

Here are some more options

https://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-from-the-houston-airport-to-the-galveston-cruise-port/

1 hour ago, SpotsForLisa said:

Thank you all for input.  Flight at 12:15 out of IAH, the international Airport. 

I would feel less stress with a later flight. As in much later. Probably can be done but I have sat in the parking lots that are called Houston Interstates too many times. Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I would feel less stress with a later flight. As in much later. Probably can be done but I have sat in the parking lots that are called Houston Interstates too many times. Good luck.

Agree with this. Plus, February is "sea fog" season down in Galveston. Fog often contributes to delayed debarkation. I would not use the NCL transfer service. They use 50 person coaches and won't depart for the airport until they are reasonably full. Not a good plan for a 1215 flight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpotsForLisa said:

Has anyone used the Norwegian Transfer Service to get from port in Galveston back to airport in Houston the morning of return?  Detail appreciated please...

Cruising in February 2024.

Thanks,

isa

I'd agree with other posters who mention that 12:15 might be pushing it for a flight from IAH. It's about an hour and a half + ride in the shuttle on a good morning, and if there's any delays (and there always seem to be delays in Galveston) a noonish flight might be too close for comfort. 

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

@mexicobob and @luv2kroooz have given good advice, especially if you choose the NCL buses, which might drop-off at a different terminal than your flight.

The shuttles stop at each terminal at IAH; if you're the first terminal this is great. If you're the last terminal, it's a slow process.

19 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The shuttles stop at each terminal at IAH; if you're the first terminal this is great. If you're the last terminal, it's a slow process.

If you're on the last terminal and the shuttle is stopped at the first teminal would it save time to get off the shuttle and take the tram?

Edited by RocketMan275

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you're on the last terminal and the shuttle is stopped at the first teminal would it save time to get off the shuttle and take the tram?

Hypothetically, yes, but you'd have to cary your bags with you.

IAH has two different tram systems. One is inside the secure terminal space and is called the Skyway. The other is called the Subway, is in the basement, and connects all of the terminals and airport hotel outside of security.

(Fun fact: in the 60s and 70s, Disney wanted to sell the world Peoplemovers (like the Tomorrowland kind). The Subway is the only publicly-accessible WEDway Peoplemover outside of WDW that Disney ever sold ... it's a deep cut geek experience.)

Each terminal only has check-ins for the specific airlines at that terminal. For example, Delta is in terminal A, so you can't check in at Terminal B. So what you could hypothetically do is get off the bus at the first terminal stop, take your bags to the basement, and wait for the Subway to come by and head to your terminal for check-in. Just tell the driver that's what you plan to do when you get on, so they don't sort the bags by terminal/check-in. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'd agree with other posters who mention that 12:15 might be pushing it for a flight from IAH. It's about an hour and a half + ride in the shuttle on a good morning, and if there's any delays (and there always seem to be delays in Galveston) a noonish flight might be too close for comfort. 

True, as long as there are no road closures (which does happen occasionally).

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Quite possibly, depending on both people and road traffic.

***Adding: I will say, the shuttle drivers will advise which stop during these times.

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info

2 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Not sure length of your cruise but the 7 day Prima cruise we are taking out of Galveston is Friday to Friday.  Friday traffic in and around Houston area likely twice as bad as weekend traffic.  Take that into consideration as well.

Excellent point!

53 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Not sure length of your cruise but the 7 day Prima cruise we are taking out of Galveston is Friday to Friday.  Friday traffic in and around Houston area likely twice as bad as weekend traffic.  Take that into consideration as well.

I recall spending a week in traffic on the Galveston causeway one Friday afternoon.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I recall spending a week in traffic on the Galveston causeway one Friday afternoon.

Yikes!!!  We are driving to port but picking up friends with 11:30 flight at Hobby day of departure. Dropping them off following Friday at Bush Intercontinental at noon.  Sounds like we may be cutting it close both ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Yes, Friday to Friday for mine too.

Glad I booked a flight after 2:30 PM.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seemoreroyals said:

Yikes!!!  We are driving to port but picking up friends with 11:30 flight at Hobby day of departure. Dropping them off following Friday at Bush Intercontinental at noon.  Sounds like we may be cutting it close both ways.

Assuming that their flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30 and lands somewhere close to the scheduled  time, they may be off the plane by noon.  If they checked any luggage, add at least another 15 or 20 minutes.  Then you need to walk through the terminal to your car, exit the parking area, and get on IH45.  On a good day, it's a 45 minute drive to the cruise terminal.  Assuming you plan to park your car and take a shuttle to the terminal, add another 20 to 30 minutes.  That gets you to the front door of the terminal somewhere between 1:15 and 2:00 if everything goes well.  If the flight is delayed, if there is a problem with their checked luggage, if the traffic on IH45 is backed up, or if someone in your party can't hold out for a late lunch and you need to stop at a fast food spot, your arrival time could easily be pushed past 3:00 PM.  Then you have to pass through security, check in, get your key card, and walk on board.  When does you cruise depart and what is the cut off time to check in?

• Like 1

Construction has been underway at IAH for the past couple of years for a new terminal, the projected end of construction is a year away. The construction involves lane closures in the airport area. The airport authority advises adding an hour to your travel time. In my experience over the past couple of years an hour is excessive but add at least 20 minutes to your time driving in the airport complex.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Assuming that their flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30 and lands somewhere close to the scheduled  time, they may be off the plane by noon.  If they checked any luggage, add at least another 15 or 20 minutes.  Then you need to walk through the terminal to your car, exit the parking area, and get on IH45.  On a good day, it's a 45 minute drive to the cruise terminal.  Assuming you plan to park your car and take a shuttle to the terminal, add another 20 to 30 minutes.  That gets you to the front door of the terminal somewhere between 1:15 and 2:00 if everything goes well.  If the flight is delayed, if there is a problem with their checked luggage, if the traffic on IH45 is backed up, or if someone in your party can't hold out for a late lunch and you need to stop at a fast food spot, your arrival time could easily be pushed past 3:00 PM.  Then you have to pass through security, check in, get your key card, and walk on board.  When does you cruise depart and what is the cut off time to check in?

4 pm departure time.   Assuming 3 pm cut off time for check in but not sure.

4 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

4 pm departure time.   Assuming 3 pm cut off time for check in but not sure.

NCL usually requires check in not less than two hours before the scheduled departure time.  You are cutting it very close.  If any one thing goes wrong, a late flight into Hobby, problems with checked luggage, traffic delays, etc., you would be hard pressed to get to the terminal on time.

Hi all!  Thank you so much for the valuable timeline advise.  I have rebooked my departing flight for 2:48PM.  I knew I was cutting it close, but after all your comments, I was convinced to take a later flight.    Happy Trails!  Lisa from Oregon.  Hope to see some of you in February.  I'm a solo traveler:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

NCL usually requires check in not less than two hours before the scheduled departure time.  You are cutting it very close.  If any one thing goes wrong, a late flight into Hobby, problems with checked luggage, traffic delays, etc., you would be hard pressed to get to the terminal on time.

I agree.  I tried to talk them into coming in day before.