Question regarding name and documents needed

robtx100

Hello, we had a person join our group as a 2nd booking on a reservation of our sister. She has sailed Carnival many times back in the early years, but has not sailed in a very long time. She will need to use her birth certificate and drivers license. Her birth certificate shows J*** J******, her maiden name. Her past guest and reservation is under J*** B*******, her first marriage name, but B****** is deceased. She remairried and her driver's license shows J*** B*******-R******. When I called Carnival to add her to the booking, the rep just stated he needed to put her under J*** B***** since that is what her past guest is under. Will she just need her birth certificate and driver's license or will she also need Marriage cert to first husband, death certh of first hustband, marriage of 2nd husband? 

Edited by robtx100
correction

It’s better to take to much documentation than too little.  I would advise that she take her birth certificate, driver’s license, marriage certificate to husband #1, death certificate of husband #1, and marriage certificate to husband #2.  She may not need it all, but she’ll have all the bases covered that way.

• Like 2

The name on the booking should match her current photo id. The birth certificate will show her original name and will be fine. I believe port workers are trained to look at the birthdate and middle name to see if it matches and that's about it. 

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Calling @Ferry Watcher to the courtesy phone for correct guidance.

Note: Ferry Watcher actually works at the ports and helps people check in for their cruise on Carnival and Royal sailings.

Yes, she does but her expertise is for Alaska sailings out of Seattle and she is loath to answer questions not pertaining to her area of expertise since she can't speak to how things work at other ports. According to her prior posts they are trained to look at the passenger's first and middle name and birth date on the birth certificate and if those match up with the ID then everything is good to go. 

OP, it's better to have the documents and not need them then to not have them if they are needed. They may not be needed but I would at least have a picture of them available.

10 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

It’s better to take to much documentation than too little.  I would advise that she take her birth certificate, driver’s license, marriage certificate to husband #1, death certificate of husband #1, and marriage certificate to husband #2.  She may not need it all, but she’ll have all the bases covered that way.

I'm going to agree it's probably overkill but I would sure want to have all the paperwork necessary to document my story to the port worker. Make their job easy.

Too late for a Passport I suppose.