tom's port guides?

On 1/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Hi hokie fans.  You wouldn't happen to have links (or pdfs) that cover these ports, do you: Visby, Ronne, Warnemunde (Berlin), Stockholm, La Goulette, Palermo, Livorno, Naples, Marseille or Barcelona? I'm trying to help someone in Australia about what to do (without using a lot of ship excursions) in those cities. 

Visby - no

Ronne - no

Warnemunde (Berlin) - no

Stockholm - yes

La Goulette - no

Palermo - no

Livorno - yes

Naples - yes

Marseille - yes

Barcelona - yes

• Thanks 1

I just ran across this thread. Amazing what you can find when you do a Google search.  Thanks everyone who are keeping Tom’s memory alive.  

I have the Southampton guide.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 9:37 PM, roblc1 said:

So sorry to hear this info.  I used Tom’s Guides for a Mediterranean cruise and a Canada trip.  His info was invaluable.   I do have most of the New England/ Canadian guides saved as PDF downloads incIuding the Charlottetown driving one.  I can try to upload if anyone wants them.  Perhaps other people may have some saved as well and we can collect as many as we can. I also have Dominica.  

Posted (edited)

I think this is the Boston guide.  Obviously it's old, but may still be helpful.  I went to Wayback Machine, played around, and found a link to Tom's home page.  I tried something there other than the "Guides" tab, and found something which Tom had written about New England/Canada ports in general.  My pc shows the url for Boston as https://web.archive.org/web/20211110152131/https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/boston-04-21-2013.pdf

Good luck.  I'll see if I can find more.

Edit: Sorry.  I guess Boston is reachable from the "Yumm" link above that was posted by Lyn (?? maybe).  And I looked at that site and there are one or two other New England or Canada guides there too.  

If anyone is looking for Asia (which Tom never covered) I found a link to a site that has some guides.  There aren't that many cities represented, or in as much detail as Tom's, but at least it's a start.  And I think the person was working on more when I looked last year.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

• 4 weeks later...

So very sorry to learn of Tom's passing.  I printed and used his Monaco information when we did our Mediterranean cruise some years ago.  His information was accurate and definitely improved the quality of our port day there (while helping us avoid a LOT of stairs and some steep hills).

Somewhere I have a port guide to the Azores tucked away in case I can go there one day...but I'm not sure if it was Tom's or someone else's.

I’d been having trouble downloading the port guides from the Wayback Machine while others were posting links that worked for them. All I could see/download was the cover page 😕

I finally figured out the problem: I needed to use my laptop instead of my iPhone. If you’re having trouble accessing the guides on the Wayback Machine and with loading Tom’s site, try from your computer or laptop. 

and see the other port guide suggestions people in this forum have made. 

• Thanks 1