Can I book before my new passport arrives?

carma7007

Probably. The cruise lines I've been on do not require passport information until much later. However, if your new passport is held up until too late to cruise you will be subject to cancellation penalties. You are dependent upon government efficiency. Good luck.

• Like 2

As long as you can find your birth certificate, and it is a closed loop cruise from the US, you can travel without the passport.  I was prepared to do that this past March,  but my renewed passport arrived the day I left to drive to the port.  EM

If the cruise is in early November than final payment is already due or will be due soon If your cruise is a closed loop cruise where you can use your birth certificate and ID instead of a passport, you would have that as back-up.

If your cruise requires a passport and the passport doesn't arrive in time (e.g. not closed loop from the US or goes to a port that requires a passport even on closed loop cruises). then you won't be able to sail if the passport doesn't arrive in time. 

Did you submit for routine or expedited processing?

Travel.State.Gov says that routine processing time is currently running 10-13 weeks not including mailing time. Most people seem to be getting their passports back within that time but occasionally it takes longer. The beginning of November is currently 13 weeks away. If you mailed it 2 weeks ago, that's around 15 weeks which is kind of tight. I'd be uncomfortable with that timing. 

You could the passport office to change it to expedited processing which is running 7-9 weeks. The fee for that is $60. You can also add 1-2 day delivery instead of standard mailing.

I was in a similar situation except that I was just about to submit my passport when the cruise came up and the timing was even tighter. There is an Urgent passport process that you can use to get your passport with an in person visit to a passport agency office. You have within 14 days of travel to use the process if you haven't submitted the application yet and within 5 days if you have. If you are in Northern California, the closest Passport Agency is probably San Francisco. 

That's a more risky route if you have already submitted your passport application because there may not be appointments available. I had no trouble getting an appointment but I was calling 14-days in advance. 

Info on the Urgent process is here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html