Main Dining Rooms on Edge

ScottC4746

After our first X cruise on Solstice last year, after about the second day we started taking breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main dining room.

I just read that the Edge has four main dining rooms.  This leaves me with some questions:

1. Do they only operate one per day?

2. What are the differences between them?

3. Are the main dining rooms open for all three meals?

Any other information would be appreciated.

The difference between them are primarily decor.  

Each has some “exclusive “ menu items but you can order any of those items in any of 4 MDR, so in realty the menu on any night is the same in all.

The MDRs are all open every night. For breakfast one is open every morning.  In our experience that is Cosmopolitan as it is the largest of the 4.  Can’t help with lunch as we skip that.

8 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

After our first X cruise on Solstice last year, after about the second day we started taking breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main dining room.

I just read that the Edge has four main dining rooms.  This leaves me with some questions:

1. Do they only operate one per day?

2. What are the differences between them?

3. Are the main dining rooms open for all three meals?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Actually I found my answer via Youtube. 

40 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The difference between them are primarily decor.  

Each has some “exclusive “ menu items but you can order any of those items in any of 4 MDR, so in re

I have not found that exactly true on Edge and Beyond. Each restaurant has a theme. There are classic items that show up on the menu at all four restaurants and there are dishes from the nightly menu that are on the menu in all four. But there are exclusive items that are available in each restaurant according to its theme. I suppose you could order one of the "italian"  dishes from Tuscan restaurant in Cyprus, but why? We like the variety of alternating restaurants because of the different atmospheres and food. It relieves the monotony of the same dining room every night. 

If you are looking for the old, classic experience of the same table, same waiter each night - I'm not sure if they are still doing fixed dining on Edge class ships. But you can always ask to set it up for you that way.

Also, try to get your reservations set up in advance. You can always walk up to whichever ship you want, but there can be significant waits if the ship is full.

12 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I have not found that exactly true on Edge and Beyond. Each restaurant has a theme. There are classic items that show up on the menu at all four restaurants and there are dishes from the nightly menu that are on the menu in all four. But there are exclusive items that are available in each restaurant according to its theme. I suppose you could order one of the "italian"  dishes from Tuscan restaurant in Cyprus, but why? We like the variety of alternating restaurants because of the different atmospheres and food. It relieves the monotony of the same dining room every night. 

If you are looking for the old, classic experience of the same table, same waiter each night - I'm not sure if they are still doing fixed dining on Edge class ships. But you can always ask to set it up for you that way.

Also, try to get your reservations set up in advance. You can always walk up to whichever ship you want, but there can be significant waits if the ship is full.

You are correct that the “exclusive” only show on the dining room menu.  However all menus show on the app or your waiter can provide you the other menus and you.  can order them in all the MDRs.  Initially that wasn’t the case but changed after a short time.

We tried each of the 4 dining rooms and chose our favorite for ambiance and wait staff.  All of them are fine dining, each with a different theme.  Each night we looked at the specials (including desserts and specialty drinks) from each of the other 3 to pick and choose what we ordered.  They will also modify items. I had the spaghetti bologna's sauce on penne one night as the penne offerings too rich.  delicious.  All of the pasta is handmade.  This was on Apex.

In addition to above, if you chose Select “Anytime”Dining, you will be able to dine at any one of the 4 dining rooms each night, and you’ll use the app in advance of the cruise to chose your dining room and dining time each night.  

We found this concept to be excellent as you can switch up dining rooms each night.  Adds a bit of variety.

Also for us, we liked Cosmopolitan the best for ambiance and food selection.  But everyone will have a different opinion