Likely Punishment?

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

#2 is incorrect.  I think the bracelets are for 12 and under and are for muster stations.

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I remember my kids had to wear bracelets when they were small (so -- in case of an emergency -- kids' club staff would know their muster station), but I don't think 20 year olds would need to wear them.  

Ya guys.  It was a poor attempt to mix in a little humor, I guess.

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Ya guys.  It was a poor attempt to mix in a little humor, I guess.

Emoji's help get the point across that you're trying to make a joke.  The way it was written made it sound like you actually believed it. 

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Emoji's help get the point across that you're trying to make a joke.  The way it was written made it sound like you actually believed it. 

I figured that the "Mindreading" comment was a hint!  And I seriously don't believe that people would think I was serious about requiring a 20-year-old to wear a bracelet that advertised that they were not 21 years old.  I know I wouldn't when I was 20.  Hell, I would wear one when I was 14.

But, point well taken.  I probably won't do it, but well taken.  I actually don't like emojis.  That's not to say I haven't used 'em and won't use then in certain situations.  

Edited by Ret MP

On 8/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This ought to be good...

We're going on a cruise next year and taking DS(will be 20yo, 9 months) and his GF (will be 21).  We will be providing a refreshment package for each of them.  

HOWEVER, it won't surprise me if GF buys an alcoholic drink and shares it with DS.  I am going to discourage it.  If they do so, I doubt they'll get caught.  However, if they do get caught, what's a realistic punishment?  Slap on the wrist, "don't do that again"?  Kicked off at next port?

I am assuming that you will be travelling from a US port then? As sailing from Europe the age limit would be 18. I find it very strange that your laws prohibit alcohol until 21 but your allowed to enter military service, get married (raise a family) but are not allowed to purchase/consume alcohol. I understand each country has its own laws and am well travelled to know and understand this but it seems strange. As to your OP I would assume that one or two drinks would probably go unnoticed.

• Like 2

(Pearl clutchers, please skip this post)

The better part of valor is discretion. Assuming the son is an experienced drinker and won't recreate Titanic at the bow after a lava flow with watered down rum, he just needs to play it cool. GF obtains a beverage at a bar, walks back to the cabin or a rest room, pours drink into the soda cup. Casually hands off soda cup to her BF. Waits 30 minutes or so, gets a drink for herself from another bar. Don't act a fool. The fact that these are purchased drinks does not mean crew will look the other way if she just hands it right off to him at the bar. Don't do that. They are working and there are supervisors and cameras.

(really, really don't read this part)

There are many people who use rum runners to save money. The refreshment package, aka the mixer package, used to be a lot cheaper. I think the high price is Royal's response to people bringing their own alcohol, which is a shame for people who used to be able to get this for like $18/day who have no interest in using it as mixers. There are many youtube videos on the rum runner subject if you are interested.

6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Ever since I joined CC people have been reading their own FACTS into every question. 😉

I'm here to tell ya, you are 100% right-on.  One example:  I post links to facts and people read that I'm trying to tell them what to do.  It is actually amusing to me.  But, I play along.  

On 8/4/2023 at 4:23 PM, jean87510 said:

This actually just happened with us on Carnival last Labor day.  Daughter was 20, all others in room were 21, 22, 27.  She had bottomless bubbles, the other 3 had cheers package.  I warned her and her bf and brothers not to get her drinks until Bermuda where she was allowed to drink.  Of course they didn't listen.  And yes, she was caught as was the 27 year old.  They (bartender?) took the drink and warned both of them.  So luckily she just stuck to soda moving forward.  The kids never told me until well after the cruise.  I know it is Carnival not Royal but I know neither of them argued with the staff and both apologized which may have made a difference.  I know they were nervous afterwards.

This seems to be the silly part . 

If they are gonna sit at the bar and do this they are just being arrogant/ asking to get caught . If they get a drink and walk to a different location or do this on the pool deck where there is constant confusion , the likelyhood of getting caught is Very slim . 

>>> And yes I realize I did not answer your original post OP . :)

Just replying to this scenario

...Cheers !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

This seems to be the silly part . 

If they are gonna sit at the bar and do this they are just being arrogant/ asking to get caught . If they get a drink and walk to a different location or do this on the pool deck where there is constant confusion , the likelyhood of getting caught is Very slim . 

>>> And yes I realize I did not answer your original post OP . 🙂

Just replying to this scenario

...Cheers !

It's exactly what happened.  Not arrogant just clueless.  Her father and I were much sneakier when we were 20.  She's 21 now so all is good.