Australia cruise tour carry on baggage questions

coco2/27

Hi, all!  I’m hoping someone of you all out there can help!

We have a Princess cruise tour booked in January, and the carry on weight restrictions are quite specific and small.  15 pounds total weight!  Wow!

I’ve searched Cruise Critic and haven’t found information on which airlines is used for the Australia plane rides.  Princess has Bob Wood Cruise Group listed as vendor, and nothing is noted on their site either.

Any information is much appreciated!  I would hate to get there and have to pay many additional baggage fees if the size of my luggage doesn’t fit the parameters, which I truly can’t find anywhere!  I can stick to the 15#, if I can carry a personal item that would also fit whatever size or weight requirements that surely must list  — somewhere!!!

Thank you, in advance, for any replies 🙏

I would suggest that you search for flights that fly between the airports listed on your cruise tour. Then search those airline sites for their carry on baggage rules.

We did an Australia cruisetour years ago. I seem to remember that we each had one of those small 22 inch wheeled suitcases plus a small carry on day pack which weighed very little. We also each had a large suitcase that was provided to the the tour agent. We did not have access to this. It was in our cabin when we boarded the ship.

Sorry for the font size. .I try to make it smaller when I copy and paste and it just never works very well. This is directly taken from princess.com under frequently asked questions and then you have to scroll to Australia cruise tours. I am assuming on the land portion of your tour a wheeled backpack would be great that’s what we used for Alaska land tour.

FAQ for Princess cruise tours

All Princess cruisetours include our hassle-free luggage handling service every step of the way. During the land portion or your vacation, your luggage will be transported via motorcoach or by truck and delivered to your hotel room. Please check with your airline carrier for luggage allowance/restrictions and guidelines prior to departure.

Follow these important luggage reminders:

• Essential medicines, travel documents, valuables and breakables should be hand carried in your possession at all times.
  • Princess will make every effort to assist you in safeguarding your belongings. But remember, you are responsible for your things at all times. Princess is not responsible for money, jewelry, cameras, binoculars, documents or any other articles you retain in your personal control.
  • All luggage should have a sturdy personal identification tag that will not be lost or damaged in the course of typical airport and trucked luggage handling.
  • On journeys including air travel, luggage will be subject to a considerable amount of handling and we would recommend that your luggage be of sturdy construction.
  • Princess recommends that your travel protection is adequate enough to cover any possible loss or damage which may occur. Any loss or damage caused by Princess or an airline must be reported immediately to the responsible party.
  • For domestic Qantas flights within Australia, you are allowed to check one piece of luggage per person, not to exceed 50 lbs per bag. One piece of carry-on baggage is allowed, not to exceed 15 lbs. If you have more than one checked bag you will be required to pay a $40 (AUD) excess baggage fee per additional bag for each domestic flight segment.
  • If you have more than 50 pounds, a heavy surcharge of $30 AUD fee will be assessed. Please note: baggage fees are subject to change by the airlines at any time. These prices are accurate as of 2013.

Luggage needed during Land Tour

• Pack one bag per person to travel with you on the land portion of your vacation. This piece of luggage should include items you might need at your hotel after check-in but do not need access to during the day.
  • The bell staff will deliver the luggage from the motorcoach to your room and vice versa. Your tour director will give you instructions on where to place your luggage.
  • This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.

Luggage not needed during Land Tour

• You will be allowed to stow one suitcase per person in Sydney while you are on the land portion of your vacation that will be reunited with you in Sydney when you return.
  • This bag should contain items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.

Hand-Carry Tote/Backpack

• You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
  • Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, insect repellent, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
  • Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
  • Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches in Australia.

Service

Transportation

Edited by arizonaperson

2 hours ago, coco2/27 said:

the carry on weight restrictions are quite specific and small.  15 pounds total weight!  Wow!

That weight is quite standard as a carry-on luggage weight for domestic flights in Australia. Qantas also are fussy about the size of your carry-on piece of luggage so I suggest you check their website for the exact dimensions. They have spot checks and can require you to check in your hand luggage from the gate if they happen to measure it then and there!

Thank you, thank you all for replying!🙏🏼!

great information, and much appreciated!!!

My wanted carry on total measurement is 42.5”.

That’s fine for regular domestic Quantas flights (again, I’m not sure which airline the Bob Woods vendor uses), but the Quantas Dash domestic flights state total carry on measurement of 41”.   
Do you think I can likely chance it and be okay? 
(😉no legal liabilities 😆)

11 minutes ago, coco2/27 said:

Thank you, thank you all for replying!🙏🏼!

great information, and much appreciated!!!

My wanted carry on total measurement is 42.5”.

That’s fine for regular domestic Quantas flights (again, I’m not sure which airline the Bob Woods vendor uses), but the Quantas Dash domestic flights state total carry on measurement of 41”.   
Do you think I can likely chance it and be okay? 
(😉no legal liabilities 😆)

Will you be flying on a Dash 8 route? Which locations are you flying between?

Just now, coco2/27 said:

Wow — what a great question, that led me into a rabbit hole for Quantas dash 8 😳

Now I’m just hoping and expecting that Princess uses regular domestic airlines, and that I’ll be just fine 😏!

If you're travelling in out of the way areas (outback; remote Queensland, Western Australia or Northern Territory) you'll more than likely be in a smaller aircraft. I would follow the recommended size as some of those aircraft are petite!

Just for reference, QANTAS is an acronym of Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service so doesn't need a 'u'. You may need that in a trivia quiz!

I hope you enjoy your travels here.

• Like 1

Thank you 😄 for all your info!!!

We’ll just be flying between Sydney, Cairns, Uluru / Ayer’s Rock, and back to Sydney.  
I’m not sure if that will make a difference about which airline and baggage restrictions, but I’m sure we’ll have a great time!!!

Thank you all for this help 🙏🥰

Those routes are all flown by full size domestic aeroplanes. Here in Australia the three main airlines doing those routes are Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar. Jetstar, being the budget arm of Qantas, is most restrictive in it's carry on rules. Perhaps check out their website. They have a strict 7kg carry on (and this includes anything you're carrying such as handbag). They often weigh carry on luggage at the boarding gate. On their site, they state the dimensions as maximum 56cm X 36cm X 23cm including wheels and handles. I've never seen them measuring cases, but definitely very strict on weight! We've often carried a coat with big pockets!!! Just in case.

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

If you're travelling in out of the way areas (outback; remote Queensland, Western Australia or Northern Territory) you'll more than likely be in a smaller aircraft. I would follow the recommended size as some of those aircraft are petite!

Just for reference, QANTAS is an acronym of Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service so doesn't need a 'u'. You may need that in a trivia quiz!

I hope you enjoy your travels here.

To be really picky it is Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services.   😃

20 hours ago, coco2/27 said:

Hi, all!  I’m hoping someone of you all out there can help!

We have a Princess cruise tour booked in January, and the carry on weight restrictions are quite specific and small.  15 pounds total weight!  Wow!

I’ve searched Cruise Critic and haven’t found information on which airlines is used for the Australia plane rides.  Princess has Bob Wood Cruise Group listed as vendor, and nothing is noted on their site either.

Any information is much appreciated!  I would hate to get there and have to pay many additional baggage fees if the size of my luggage doesn’t fit the parameters, which I truly can’t find anywhere!  I can stick to the 15#, if I can carry a personal item that would also fit whatever size or weight requirements that surely must list  — somewhere!!

Thank you, in advance, for any replies 🙏

Coco2/27 My husband and I and two friends are doing this land tour before the NZ cruise late Oct this fall. I plan on writing a day by day blog on CC since I cannot find any one done on this type of tour. I am not sure if I will be able to do it as we travel about, but I will certainly get to it after we arrive home (Nov 15) I will happily answer any of your questions.

~Kathy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1