NCL Breakaway out of New Orleans, NCL General info request

Alan & Lin

Hi,

We have been on 28 cruises with almost all being Carnival.  The only NCL cruise was 2003 on the Star out of Hawaii.

I am very comfortable/satisfied with Carnival but we have been on the Glory too many times and we want to cruise Jan 2024 without having to travel so NOLA is our choice.  Since we are taking a Carnival Alaskan cruise later this month and another in April I am looking at the budget a little.

NCL, We get a total of 2 drinks a day so not worth the "free" drinking package since the gratuities come to $300 plus.  Approx how much is an average drink if you pay per drink?

Not looking for specialty dining, I assume the main dining is a good option?

Confused on end of cruise gratuities.  Carnival charges a certain amount per day, does NCL?  Or is it like the old days and you pay what you want to who you want?

So far customer service at NCL hasn't been too accommodating.  I was assigned a rep that I can't understand, I only speak english.

Overall experience for those that have traveled Carnival vs NCL, which are you more satisfied with?  I am talking the entire experience, food, service, entertainment, embarkation etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Like 1

I can't compare CCL with NCL as I've never travelled on Carnival.

I have taken breakaway twice from NOLA.

You can expect to pay $15 per drink plus 20% gratuity for a total of $18 per drink.  Soft drinks and beers would be lower.  Say two drinks per person per day would be $18*2*7=$252 total.  Small savings which would evaporate if you had 2.5 drinks per person per day.

NCL also charges for gratuities on a daily basis.  They call it the DSC, the Discretionary Service Charge.  The DSC is currently $20 PP PD. Suites pay $25 PP PD.  You can pay any additional amount to specific crew that you wish.  Bartenders are not covered by the DSC hence the 20% add-on for drinks.  Concierge and Haven butlers are not included either.

One point to be aware of.  Breakaway is a significantly larger ship than Glory so you may find embarkation takes a bit longer.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alan & Lin said:

Hi,

We have been on 28 cruises with almost all being Carnival.  The only NCL cruise was 2003 on the Star out of Hawaii.

I am very comfortable/satisfied with Carnival but we have been on the Glory too many times and we want to cruise Jan 2024 without having to travel so NOLA is our choice.  Since we are taking a Carnival Alaskan cruise later this month and another in April I am looking at the budget a little.

NCL, We get a total of 2 drinks a day so not worth the "free" drinking package since the gratuities come to $300 plus.  Approx how much is an average drink if you pay per drink?

Confused on end of cruise gratuities.  Carnival charges a certain amount per day, does NCL?  Or is it like the old days and you pay what you want to who you want?

So far customer service at NCL hasn't been too accommodating.  I was assigned a rep that I can't understand, I only speak english.

Overall experience for those that have traveled Carnival vs NCL, which are you more satisfied with?  I am talking the entire experience, food, service, entertainment, embarkation etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Well thanks to the first response we are good to go with the drink package.  Wondering about the overall NCL experience.  Being Platinum with Carnival there are some perks but it sure would be nice to experience other cruise lines.  We are not the party type, we do like our shows/entertainment.  We miss the Broadway style shows Carnival use to have.  Does NCL offer good entertainment?  Hopefully no up charge?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Alan & Lin said:

Well thanks to the first response we are good to go with the drink package.  Wondering about the overall NCL experience.  Being Platinum with Carnival there are some perks but it sure would be nice to experience other cruise lines.  We are not the party type, we do like our shows/entertainment.  We miss the Broadway style shows Carnival use to have.  Does NCL offer good entertainment?  Hopefully no up charge?

Thanks

we have 25 cruises on ccl and 15 ncl. we like ncl better because of the dinning. there is more choices on ncl. i don,t know about the new ccl ships. but we have a 16 day alaska and hawaii coming at the end of this month on the spirt. and we have a b2b  14 day and 7 day on the jade in feb. so that should tell you something. i know it is a personal joice on either one... good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I can't compare CCL with NCL as I've never travelled on Carnival.

I have taken breakaway twice from NOLA.

You can expect to pay $15 per drink plus 20% gratuity for a total of $18 per drink.  Soft drinks and beers would be lower.  Say two drinks per person per day would be $18*2*7=$252 total.  Small savings which would evaporate if you had 2.5 drinks per person per day.

NCL also charges for gratuities on a daily basis.  They call it the DSC, the Discretionary Service Charge.  The DSC is currently $20 PP PD. Suites pay $25 PP PD.  You can pay any additional amount to specific crew that you wish.  Bartenders are not covered by the DSC hence the 20% add-on for drinks.  Concierge and Haven butlers are not included either.

One point to be aware of.  Breakaway is a significantly larger ship than Glory so you may find embarkation takes a bit longer.  

You need to double the drink cost.  You did $18 a drink for 2 drinks for 7 days with 1 person.  It’s $21.80 per person per day so unless the OP are only a beer drinkers, they will save money by taking the package.  

Also don’t understand why the OP wouldn’t take the specialty dining option.  It’s $17 for two meals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

You need to double the drink cost.  You did $18 a drink for 2 drinks for 7 days with 1 person.  It’s $21.80 per person per day so unless the OP are only a beer drinkers, they will save money by taking the package.  

Also don’t understand why the OP wouldn’t take the specialty dining option.  It’s $17 for two meals.  

You're correct, the drink prices should be doubled.

OP is trying to save money for an alaskan trip.

2 hours ago, Alan & Lin said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!!!

• Thanks 1

The main dining rooms are perfectly tasty.  The dinners aren't AS good as the specialty restaurants, but they are perfectly acceptable.  Like... if you went to a lower-end chain steakhouse and were served a meal from the main dining rooms, you'd be satisfied.  Similarly, the buffet is perfectly acceptable.  Like, if you've ever been to a Golden Corral, the buffet is a clear set up from that.  And O'Sheehan's is a pretty good complimentary pub (and some wings at midnight when you're three sheets to the wind is always welcome)

I personally usually dine in a specialty restaurant, but that's because I like the finer things in life 🙂 

• Thanks 1

We became platinum with carnival. Then we tried NCL and haven’t looked back. We became platinum pretty fast with NCL (now sapphire) booked suites and that got us platinum fast. 
we love the Breakaway. Favorite deck is deck 8 . We get two specialty dinning meals for being platinum but for the very small fee we take the free at sea 2 meals. 
mid you cruise a lot you will see a huge difference in what NCL does for a platinum guest as opposed to carnival. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alan & Lin said:

Hi,

Bar Menu

image.thumb.png.548ed77db2580bedf5ec3238f45f71fe.png

image.thumb.png.fb8f419f629404a4b434eb9c2f86bbc1.png

image.thumb.png.5605b22f7f46fa86a9512f52b7bb9069.png

image.png.c54b7665cfba83f63be72cd9b3258c23.png

image.png.b1e4cfc2b0f0bd99adbea7fad7ce940d.png

Specialty Dining comes with the Free at Sea package for a small gratuity. 

NCL charges a Daily Service Charge per day like Carnival. 

For a peek at the Breakaway, the following is a link to my live posting from the ship last year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is my review from January this year.

One note: NCL has gone back to the virtual muster, watch a video (before boarding) and get your card read once on board.

We cruised several times in 80's and 90's on Carnival, the last being the Conquest(?) out of NOLA.

I decided then that I'm not a cruise kinda guy.

Then my wife went on a "girls cruise" maybe 10 years ago.  She came back all excited, describing how it was a completely different experience.  I agree to try again, as long as we went to Alaska.

I was hesitant to cruise, she was hesitant to go to Alaska, vs a warm weather itinerary.  But off we went. 

We agree it was the best cruise we had had (up to that point), and been using NCL ever since. (OK 1 Princess cruise thrown in)

One thing you will notice on Breakaway (BA) and Breakaway Plus (BA+) (frequent NCL customers shorthand reference) is Deck 8 has an outdoor promenade with comfy couches and bars.  A design that seems to be unique to NCL.  

Another great feature (to me) is decks only have numbers, not names.  I can't tell the difference from a Lido or Baja deck. 

You should take the specialty dining option, although if you visit NOLA often you have probably had some excellent meals there.  

• Thanks 1

Many here will say they get better deals through a 3rd party TA.

We use one, and usually get the gratuities free (and more) from them.  Those deals tend to be 5 days on, a few days off cycle.

Once they book the cruise for you, NCL sends you all notifications the same as when booking through them.  Very little difference, but our TA has cruised for 20 years (5 or 6 times a year) and can provide details NCL reps can't.  

We stopped using the NCL rep early on because he simply kept telling us to use the web site.  Others have had good luck with theirs, so maybe depends on the individual rep. 

• Thanks 1

My .02 comparing CCL and NCL - I think Carnival's food is much better. There are times on NCL that I struggled to find something to eat and sometimes end up with pasta a couple times a week. For service I think it's a wash. For entertainment, NCL beats Carnival hands down. That being said, we're booked on the Breakaway for March as Carnival's itineraries need a serious overhaul. 

• Like 1

So cruising both CCL and NCL out of New Orleans here is my opinion. Glory compared to breakaway as a ship, hands down goes to the breakaway! Food? I am not picky but would give NCL the edge because of variety of restaurants. But we like about carnival is the food choices right on the pool deck! Entertainment, breakaway hands down. Drink package with ncl allows 2 drinks per card about every 5 minutes, carnival caps at 15 alcohol drinks but does include specialty coffees and water but at a cost of about 900 for a 7 day cruise. Wife and I are drinkers on vacation so drink package goes to NCL. 
We prefer ncl for several reason but #1 reason is the Haven. We have sailed in the haven our last 3 cruises and 4th booked for January. 

• Like 2

We are Diamond on CCL and NCL so I can address the CCL v NCL issue with some personal experience.   Much of the experience will vary based on the ship and that is true of both lines.  The older small ships offer less than the bigger new ones, with, IMHO, the small ships excel at more personal service.

inthnk NCL is a bit more of an upscale experience (I have on asbestos underwear, so I’m prepared).  Small example is, years ago CCL did away with tablecloths in the MDR as a cost savings measure.  I think it’s tacky, but that’s just me.
 Food is so subjective, I’ll just call that one even.  

I think CCL does better drinks, but their wine list is lacking.

CCL has fewer evening dining locales as opposed to NCL.

NCL will provide, upon request, coffee makers for the cabin.  CCL won’t 

I find the noise levels on CCL awful and NCL has more quiet spots.

CCL has a better program for children, but even in their supervised program they often allow the kids to run wild in common areas.

CCL does not enforce its own rules regarding security, noise and smoking as well as NCL.

CCL has better pricing on cruises, but NCL beats them in onboard packages.

NCL has the MDR open on embarkation, CCL forces you into the buffet or GUYs, etc.

NCL has a better thermal suite, but CCL offers more flexible pricing on services.

NCL has more varied itineraries, but CCL sails year round in the Caribbean.

CCL has a terrific veterans party where all vets and families are invited, while NCLs new program with gifts, etc, requires sign up.

NCL offers a 10% discount to vets and their spouses, CCL only discounts active military.

CCL does the best disembarkation at sea, NCLs is semi-organized chaos.

NCL caters to the Haven folks, while CCL does not treat anyone more special.

NCL has better production shows and live music, while CCL uses DJs a lot.

I’m sure I’ve missed a lot, but I think you will find NCL enjoyable if you keep an open mind and allow yourself to enjoy something different.  Giving up your very comfortable routine can be a bit anxiety provoking.  For instance, we sail CCL and NCL a LOT, but have just booked a Princess cruise, we got for a song.  We’ve sailed them but not for 16 years, and reading their webpage and the CC roll calls is, well it’s gonna be different.

the sailing down the Mississippi is always nice.  I just wish they would depart at 10:00:am so you could see the mouth of the river during daylight. For sailaway get on the port side, as after the ship sails it will turn and you want to see the French Quarter and it come up quick and lasts but a few minutes.  Lots else to see downriver.  Grab a drink, find an outside spot and watch all that history float by.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

the sailing down the Mississippi is always nice.  I just wish they would depart at 10:00:am so you could see the mouth of the river during daylight. For sailaway get on the port side, as after the ship sails it will turn and you want to see the French Quarter and it come up quick and lasts but a few minutes.  Lots else to see downriver.  Grab a drink, find an outside spot and watch all that history float by.

Or, delay the arrival so you can watch the riverside as you go up river.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yeh, buts it’s about an eight hour trip up the river so that would be a long day.

We were on the breakaway right after cruises resumed after covid and we ended up leaving at almost midnight, and we actyally got to see the mouth of the Mississippi. honestly wasn't a big deal to us

Wow!  That would be so cool.  I’ve seen it from the air but never by ship.  I got a little peak one being just before full dark because we were trying to outrun a storm and get into the river early.  I could see the buoys and marshy land but nothing clearly.  It would be expensive with dock fees, but I think a lot of people would enjoy a late departure that would allow them to have an evening to enjoy NO before sailing, but that’s not likely to happen.

I've sailed both lines and prefer NCL over Carnival.  I think the food is better on NCL (but I also know that's subjective).  I also have found the entertainment in the past to be better, but that may be changing with NCL's entertainment cutbacks.  I thought service on both lines was about the same.

Overall, I think NCL feels more "upscale" than Carnival.  We've sailed on the Breakaway out of NO twice now and would go back on her again.  

We mainly swapped from Carnival to NCL due to the better packages NCL provides.

If you have time and haven't been there before, I'd go in a couple of days early and spend some time in NO.  We stay in the Wharehouse district which is an easy walk to the French Quarter.  We've also taken the trolley up to the Garden District.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Wow!  That would be so cool.  I’ve seen it from the air but never by ship.  I got a little peak one being just before full dark because we were trying to outrun a storm and get into the river early.  I could see the buoys and marshy land but nothing clearly.  It would be expensive with dock fees, but I think a lot of people would enjoy a late departure that would allow them to have an evening to enjoy NO before sailing, but that’s not likely to happen.

I'm sure I'm in a miniscule minority when I say I'd be willing to start embarkation really early in the morning, say 3 or 4 AM, so we could transit the Mississippi during daylight hours. I'd even be willing to disembark at 10 or 11 PM to make this happen. But, I am pretty sure this will never happen. Seeing the river and the delta in the daylight would be a dream.

Also, thanks for your detailed CCL vs. NCL post. Really helpful to continue not considering Carnival.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm sure I'm in a miniscule minority when I say I'd be willing to start embarkation really early in the morning, say 3 or 4 AM, so we could transit the Mississippi during daylight hours. I'd even be willing to disembark at 10 or 11 PM to make this happen. But, I am pretty sure this will never happen. Seeing the river and the delta in the daylight would be a dream.

Also, thanks for your detailed CCL vs. NCL post. Really helpful to continue not considering Carnival.

NOLA is kinda different at 11 PM vs 11 AM.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you want a daylight passage, timing it for going  upriver might work better.

Disembark around 1400.  Embarkation around 2000 for next crew.

• Thanks 1

I've been pricing the Breakaway from New Orleans for February 2024 and this would be my first NCL cruise after doing many RCCL and Disney so this thread has been helpful. 

After looking at the daily planners posted in the Live follow along above, the entertainment options looks limited since we do not go to comedy shows and Six is being removed in January.

We are usually off ship all day in port, come back to the room, shower, dinner, and then go to a show (ice skating, Aquatheater, main theater etc.). I'm concerned that there may be a lack of entertainment options to fill the evenings outside of comedy. Does anyone know the plans for evening entertainment or will it be filled with variety/headliner acts?

I was also shocked that the beverage package doesn't include bottled water on NCL so could we bring a refillable tumbler and use a glass (or multiple glasses) of water from a bar or buffet to keep that filled throughout the day? 

2 hours ago, Rock1t said:

I've been pricing the Breakaway from New Orleans for February 2024 and this would be my first NCL cruise after doing many RCCL and Disney so this thread has been helpful. 

After looking at the daily planners posted in the Live follow along above, the entertainment options looks limited since we do not go to comedy shows and Six is being removed in January.

We are usually off ship all day in port, come back to the room, shower, dinner, and then go to a show (ice skating, Aquatheater, main theater etc.). I'm concerned that there may be a lack of entertainment options to fill the evenings outside of comedy. Does anyone know the plans for evening entertainment or will it be filled with variety/headliner acts?

I was also shocked that the beverage package doesn't include bottled water on NCL so could we bring a refillable tumbler and use a glass (or multiple glasses) of water from a bar or buffet to keep that filled throughout the day? 

Feb is a good time, between holiday rush and spring break.

Yes, you can bring your own insulated container and fill it up at the buffet, or any bar on board.  We have never had a bartender say no, although they will probably hand you a plastic glass of ice water. If you use the same bar and bartender, they will just fill your glass for you.  They do for daily soda's for my wife once they recognize us.  Tipping always helps.

Read reviews on Syd Norman's.  Assuming you like 70's music, 3 nights worth, about 90 minutes each night.  Classic hits, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors LP, Prom Night songs.

We really enjoyed Burn The Floor.  Lots of dancing and very good band and singer.  Of course these rotate, so could be a different group of people, but I assume the songs will be the same.

Unknown if-when Six will be replaced.  We first saw in 2019 when it was unknown.

Personally, seeing it twice, and one more time before it leaves, will be enough for me.  Not a big fan of it.

NCL could replace with an unknown show, or maybe BeetleJuice (coming on Prima) or simply wait awhile before adding another show.  No info from anyone on this. There is the usual scattering of duets and solo acts through out the ship at night, as well as parties on the aft deck Spice H2O and the Bliss Lounge.