Ponant, first time cruiser, help with dress code?

3ric

Hi all,

going on my first cruise with Ponant in the fall to Belize/Honduras.

I am trying to really understand what the dress code is on the boat. People mention dressing up and jacket/collared shirt for dinner. and then more dressed for gala but it does get more nuanced for womenswear. I am a very light packer and usually only bring a small carry on on vacation so this would be helpful to know.

Here are some examples, ranging from casual to formal. if someone can weigh in on what would be appropriate when, or at all on the boat, and during meals/ depending on restaurant type. for Ponant or similar type cruises, that would greatly help. 

1. casual tank dress: https://www.nordstrom.com/s/zella-gwen-ponte-knit-tank-dress/5785008?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FDresses%2FUnder %24100&color=030
2. casual dress https://www.target.com/p/august-sky-women-s-geometric-tiered-mini-dress-rdm2015-black-medium--no-aasa/-/A-86417026
3. large flowy dress
https://www.nordstrom.com/s/satu-one-shoulder-dress/6633359?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FDresses%2FCocktail %26 Party&color=330
4. black dress: https://www.nordstrom.com/s/french-connection-whisper-ruffle-minidress/5290740?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FDresses%2FCocktail %26 Party&color=001
5.satin mid dress https://www.nordstrom.com/s/elliatt-cassini-one-shoulder-dress/6109413?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FDresses%2FCocktail %26 Party&color=355
6. sequin formal https://www.nordstrom.com/s/sequin-starburst-a-line-gown/7177900?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FClothing%2FDresses&color=710

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Can't help with the dress code, but I see you did find the Ponant board on CC. Someone should come along and chat you up! As a smaller cruiseline, there are probably fewer Ponant passengers checking in here. I hope your patience holds out!

My wife and I pack equally light (one carry-on each). So we definitely value suitcase space and don't waste room on stuff that's too fancy.

My answer depends a little bit on whether or not this is an "expedition" cruise or not. We've been on two Ponant cruises so far, both "expedition" cruises in warmer climates (Corsica and Indonesia). And I'm a guy so take that with a grain of salt. But I travel with a lady who always asks me what she should bring, so:

Any of those dresses could be fine IMO. The very first one might be on the casual side for dinner depending on the itinerary, but would be completely fine during the day and at lunch. You might feel slightly underdressed for a regular dinner but in a tropical climate on an expedition cruse - I bet it would fit in without any trouble. You'd almost certainly feel underdressed for a gala dinner, I think.

Chris would probably not go as fancy as option #6, even for a gala. Though #5 isn't really her style, it would not feel out of place. And if you wanted to go with something as fancy as option #6 for the gala - go for it, but you can get away without it if it takes up too much room. Even #4 is probably fancy enough for the gala dinners.

Hope that helps some. Don't worry about it too much.

• Like 1

Thanks! it is an all new expedition cruise, indeed. Your answer is very helpful. I figured #6 would be way too formal and #1 too casual so it is actually helpful to know they may work. While i pack really light, i usually dont have that much of a range in dressing. between the water shoes/hiking stuff and the gala outfit, i will need to make choices. I like traveling light but also hate being underdressed :-). 

• Like 1

There is a TV series called Mighty Cruise Ships which we get on Smithsonian channel in my area.  One episode from their first year (2014) features Le Soleal in Indonesia.  You might see if you can find it online.  It might give you an idea of what guests wear onboard.  EM

• Like 1

Having cruised with Ponant on an expedition cruise recently, I agree with jpalbny totally. #1 is suited to lunch and informal dining, whereas #5 and #6 are probably over the top, although both are gorgeous and would look fantastic. I don't do dresses and never felt out of place with flowy trousers and pretty tops, even on the evening that we were invited to dine with officers.

• 1 month later...

Hello There! We (my sister and I) are also going on the Belize/Honduras trip in November on the 21st through 28th! Are those your dates? I actually had to ask my sister if she posted this, as those clothes are definitely our style! I wish I had advice on what to wear. We are both new to cruises and trying to figure out what to bring ourselves! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Explore01, I decided  iam gonna pack very light for the on board events, given the loooong list of clothing and equipment recommended for the excursions. That turned out to be much more complicated that I expected given this list seemed to be 1/designed mostly for men, 2/ include lots of clothing I did not own.  I thought about bringing my hiking shoes but I decided to buy a pair of Palladium (french brand, pictured on the list) to reminisce on my teenage years ;-) They are much lighter. Also taking water sneakers as I dont think I want to take the risk of having to walk in wet shoes for a whole excursion. or for the zodiaks/smaller boats.
The changing list for the dry bag, no dry bag, light backpack also made it a bit complex. Finding reef friendly sunscreen was a little bit of a challenge too, but turns out a few of the standard US brands have options there, that are travel sized. Getting everything to fit in my carry-on is going to take precedence over anything else at this point :classic_biggrin:

I am still trying to figure out if this cruise has a white party or not. It is not quite clear. The packing list includes it, but the website states for more than 8 days.  Hopefully it does not.