Barcelona to Tarragona

I am hearing rumors that our trip next May might be leaving from Tarragona rather than Barcelona. It appears that some are receiving this information while some are still being told it is Barcelona (port schedule shows this). I have looked some to find the best way to get from BCN to Tarragona. After flying from San Francisco, I don’t think we will want to hassle bags on a bus, nor are there direct trains. Has anyone done this via private transfer recently, and if so what was the cost? 

50 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

nor are there direct trains.

There used to be direct trains!  Be aware that there are three stations in Barcelona that trains could leave from, also two stations in Tarragona, one of which is more or less in the town, the other quite some distance away and mostly used by the longer distance high speed trains. IMHO I think it is better to take a slower train and arrive closer to the town centre. As our hotel was way up high above the train stationin the historic area, we took a taxi from outside the station where there was a stance. We had split a week between Sitges and Tarragona, flying into and out of BCN.

Can I suggest you try looking again on the official  RENFE website?  Much too early of course for next year but you could experiment with a date in the not to distant future which has a day of the week the same as the one you would expect to travel on next year. That way you would get an indication of timetables and ticket cost, and if at least some trains are direct or if they all now require a change. Do please come back and say if you found direct trains as others may be interested.

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I am hearing rumors that our trip next May might be leaving from Tarragona rather than Barcelona. It appears that some are receiving this information while some are still being told it is Barcelona (port schedule shows this). I have looked some to find the best way to get from BCN to Tarragona. After flying from San Francisco, I don’t think we will want to hassle bags on a bus, nor are there direct trains. Has anyone done this via private transfer recently, and if so what was the cost? 

AS of when are they starting to make this change to leave from Tarragona?

We depart 9/29/2023 and it was changed to Tarragona.  No direct trains from the airport as of now.  We decided to hire a private car.  It costs more, but after all night of flying, it will be much easier with luggage.

5 hours ago, nikel said:

AS of when are they starting to make this change to leave from Tarragona?

No official word - have heard some itineraries are changed and some are not.  Must depend right now at least on how many and which other ships are in Barcelona at the same time.   We actually had a Viking cruise where we boarded in Barcelona in the afternoon and then instead of staying overnight, left before midnight and went on down to Tarragona.

Just doing a very quick Google search, there is a lot of info on how to do this "transfer".   Rome2Rio has info.  Here's a sample.

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/transfers/transfer-barcelona-airport-tarragona.html

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

We are getting mixed reports on departure which seems strange. From my TA this afternoon, it is still Barcelona. Others are reporting Tarragona from their TA. I know that Viking went into Tarragona either late last or early this year and was a surprise to pax. 

Maadimom what company did you book through for a private. I would like to have a back up plan. I read that the cost ranges from 130-175

edinburgher, I will look at their schedule. I thank you for that. I read that you have to take the train from the airport to Barcelona first to get there, but I will double check. If that is the case, I know how I am when I land across the pond from SFO, and a quick thinker I am not, so I really want to keep it simple. 

16 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

edinburgher, I will look at their schedule. I thank you for that.

i hadn't appreciated you would be going directly from the airport, not from BCN. I knew there should be direct trains from the city but didn't expect there to be one from the airport. If for some reason a private transfer doesn't work and you look at trains, given there are three statios in BCN and two in Tarragona, keep the search simple and only enter BCN and Tarragona in the search boxes without specifying which station in either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nikel said:

I don’t think we will want to hassle bags on a bus,

I had a thought which you may or may not like.  We used one of the buses from BCN airport direct to Sitges (our first stop that week) and I remembered there were others running to Tarragona from the airport, also to some of the other resorts along that coast as it is a holiday area. And in common with other holiday areas, there are shuttle buses running to/from the resorts and the airport. (actually two airports as Reus airport is closer to these resorts and to Tarragona than BCN airport)..

I had a quick look and yes, it appears there are many buses running each day between the airport and Tarragona, direct and taking around an hour.  Apart from a private car and driver (at some expense) that would be the easiest option for you as the trains are not ideal as you would need to get from the airport into BCN then maybe have to taxi across town to the correct station. More hassle than it is worth.

The "bus" we used to Sitges from the airport was more like a coach, the kind which has reclining seats etc, (like a shorex coach) and our luggage was loaded into the storage area underneath. It may be worthwhile having a look at that option if only as a Plan B.

Edited by edinburgher

As always you are so very helpful edinburgher!  I really appreciate this additional information. It is so kind of you. We’ve been to Barcelona several times, so if we sail from Tarragon we might as well go there pre-cruise. Now I just need to figure out where we are truly sailing from. TA just sent me a note that it is still Barcelona. So,done else on the roll call across the pond got the opposite answer!  Life is an adventure! 
‘thanks!

42 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

As always you are so very helpful edinburgher!  I really appreciate this additional information. It is so kind of you. We’ve been to Barcelona several times, so if we sail from Tarragon we might as well go there pre-cruise. Now I just need to figure out where we are truly sailing from. TA just sent me a note that it is still Barcelona. So,done else on the roll call across the pond got the opposite answer!  Life is an adventure! 
‘thanks!

Good luck!   Tarragona is a wonderful city to walk around and explore.

We weren't notified that we were going to Tarragona until about 2 weeks ahead of our Jupiter cruise, that began in Barcelona.  I hope you find out sooner!

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Life is an adventure! 

And sometimes a bit of a mystery tour!

I  had a quick look to be sure I was giving correct information, and there are definitely coaches running between BCN El Prat  airport and Tarragona, and plenty of them every day.  We used one from the airport direct to Sitges, our first stop of the week, and had a few days there before switching to Tarragona by train.  We had one day extra in Sitges as it was a shorter train ride to BCN from there and we wanted to spend just one day in the city. That was enough.  So crowded, so noisy with traffic,  such a feeling of "busyness and rush" it reminded us why we had chosen Sitges and Tarragona instead of Barcelona again. As both are very different from each other we had double the enjoyment.

If you visited BCN a few times already, I think you might enjoy the quieter pace of Tarragona for a couple of days, and if you interested in Roman ruins, it offers quite a few,  (a UNESCO World Heritage site), there are also beaches if you would prefer, and a historic centre to explore. The OFFICIAL Tarragona Tourist info website has a small number of suggested walks around the ancient city.

I have no idea where the bus station is as we arrived and left by train, but Tarragona is a city/town of two halves, one is upper, one lower.  We had easy access to everything we needed and wanted from our hotel base on  la Rambla Nova almost next to the "Mediterranean Balcony", so for a tourist, I think upper is the place to be for its proximity to the historic quarter, roman ruins, the market etc.   and conveniently located for everything visitors on foot might want to do, also for restaurants etc. We were able to see and do everything we wanted without need of any transport, apart from when arriving and departing. Our hotel had been chosen primarily  for its location.

As a little side note,  Tarragona is the  Catalan  home base of the human towers/ "castlells", images of which you may have seen in the media. It is when humans form high towers by balancing on others. If you are lucky, you may be able to view  a  practice for groups held once a week in the Cathedral Square. if you have no idea what I am referring to, google for images and videos. You will see many souvenir artworksand sculptures of "castells" all around town.

I would perceive a switch from BCN toTarragona as a bonus-- but only if I had previously visited BCN.

Edited by edinburgher

On 8/8/2023 at 3:10 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are getting mixed reports on departure which seems strange. From my TA this afternoon, it is still Barcelona. Others are reporting Tarragona from their TA. I know that Viking went into Tarragona either late last or early this year and was a surprise to pax. 

Maadimom what company did you book through for a private. I would like to have a back up plan. I read that the cost ranges from 130-175

edinburgher, I will look at their schedule. I thank you for that. I read that you have to take the train from the airport to Barcelona first to get there, but I will double check. If that is the case, I know how I am when I land across the pond from SFO, and a quick thinker I am not, so I really want to keep it simple. 

Our TA recommended ride andy dot com.  It was 134€ going from BCN to our hotel.  We were just in Barcelona last year so decided to stay a couple nights in Tarragona.  It looks like a great place to spend some time.

6 hours ago, maadimom said:

Our TA recommended ride andy dot com.  It was 134€ going from BCN to our hotel.  We were just in Barcelona last year so decided to stay a couple nights in Tarragona.  It looks like a great place to spend some time.

Thank you very much!  This is very helpful if we are sailing from Tarragon. That seems a reasonable quote to me. 

Also looking to get to Tarragona from Barcelona hotel. I assume maadimom you were happy with the rideandy transportation. How far in advance did you need to book that? It does seem like a reasonable amount to avoid the train or bus option. Thanks.

6 hours ago, kry4414ski said:

Also looking to get to Tarragona from Barcelona hotel. I assume maadimom you were happy with the rideandy transportation. How far in advance did you need to book that? It does seem like a reasonable amount to avoid the train or bus option. Thanks.

We will doing this on Sept 27.  I will report back with how it goes.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 4:49 PM, Vineyard View said:

Hi, 

There aren't direct trains from the airport to Tarragona because airport trains are just local commuter trains that will call in some surrounding Barcelona stations.

But it is strongly easy to go from Barcelona Airport to Tarragona nevertheless

Take commuter train (called RODALIES) line R2. Do not worry, it is the only line in Barcelona

Get off that commuter train in Sants estacio. Do not worry, they will warn about it. All stations will be local trains only and Sants is main Barcelona station, even with commuter trains, regional ones, long distance or international ones. 

At Sants estacio you will need to buy a new ticket (available even in ticket offices or ticket dispenser machines).

Get a regional train to Tarragona. They will be pointed as Tortosa R16, Reus/... R15 or even Lleida via Tarragona R14.

They will run every 30 minutes

It will stop in Tarragona city centre just besides the beach. Look in google maps

plano-cercanias-renfe-web.jpg

mapa_MD_2307.gif

In addition,

May someone has to move from Barcelona to Tarragona or conversely, choose Seaside seat (they are not reserved, first to arrive, first to choose)

The tracks has a stunning seascape. Right side towards Barcelona, Left side towards Tarragona

May someone has a cruise that calls in Tarragona instead of Barcelona, he needn't move to Barcelona.

Tarragona has ENOUGH heritage for a one day visit (and even for a three day visit, and with 30 km around, for a week visit)

Tarragona was the main city in western Roman Empire. You will find a lot of Roman ruins in city centre besides the beach that deserve a whole day. In addition, there are a lot of Middleage and Modern Age heritage in the city too.

It is small (compared with other ports) but a secret to discover.

garraf.jpg

Edited by alserrod

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to how it went so

Our ride andy experience went very smoothly.  They sent an email with all of the drivers’ information including a picture.  He was waiting for us as we exited customs.  He drove a Mercedes E class which was fairly new and very comfortable.  There were water bottles for us and a pleasant drive of just under an hour.  We have zero complaints.  I would definitely use them again.  Oh, he was Victor by the way.

• Like 1