Vista Dry Dock

Butterbean1000

On 8/8/2023 at 8:40 PM, vwrestler171 said:

Fix the propulsion issue that has plagued that ship.  Give the ship the new livery.  Other than that, nothing is known.

Word is that she sat for 3 hours today with no engines today (8/11/23) per some online groups at that other place. They need to dry dock her before January!

4 hours ago, Riles34 said:

Word is that she sat for 3 hours today with no engines today (8/11/23) per some online groups at that other place. They need to dry dock her before January!

Its happened quite a bit.  If they haven't done it yet, they won't cancel more cruises to send it early.

Engine problems don't necessarily require being dry docked. I recall one ship out of Galveston a few years ago (ship's name eludes me now) that was having propulsion issues. During turnaround day they simply cut a hole in the side of the ship to get the parts they needed onboard, welded it shut, and set sail with little to no interruption to their schedule. 

Personally I'd rather miss a port than be one of the people getting an e-mail telling me that my cruise was cancelled because a bunch of armchair maritime experts kept screaming for the ship to be drydocked early. Short of another Triumph incident I doubt we'll see an early drydock. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Short of being declared "out of class" (i.e. not fit to sail) by the classification society, they likely won't dry dock early to fix this.  Even if they dock in January, that is the earliest window they can, and still get credit for a statutory docking.  Any docking outside the Jan-Jun 2024 window would not count as a statutory dry docking, and they would need to dry dock again during that window.

@rudyard is correct, that propulsion issues is a broad term, and may or may not require a drydocking, it may be a simple as staying alongside a pier for repairs for a couple of days.  The example he gives was a Carnival ship that had a bow thruster fail, and they cut the hull out to renew the electric motor.

• Like 3