Seascape Cabin 16019 - Avoid like the Plaque

rikitikitavii

We booked this cabin over a year ago, so I can’t remember if it was one of the few remaining, or I just didn’t do my homework!! so, I take partial blame!

We were on Seascape the week of July 30, 2023, in Yacht Club Interior Cabin 16019.

This cabin is located under the kitchen, which during the day, we had no issues.

BUT, at night, they opened the bowling alley!!  All night long!! The second night we complained to Concierge, and asked our butler for earplugs, they did not help. After complaining the forth day, YC director offered a cabin outside YC to sleep.  He told us that they know the cabin has continued complaints, but MSC continues to allow passengers to book it.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Corriegr said:

Think we may have made same schoolboy error as booked 16023 for 14 nights next June

I never saw the people next door to us, but there was banging and dropping things from about 1:30am til 4ish. My wife will never let me forget it!!

Cabins are priced differently for a reason.  That is why the same type of cabin may be than another and they charge more for it.  .  It is the location even though all inside cabins in the YC I think are are priced the same for that cruise.  

Warning about the bad cabins and the best work both ways.   If the cruise line sees people are booking certain cabins first they start to charge extra  as being a premium location.  PThose that have a problem will be a little cheaper and be used as a teaser fare or given out for the guarantee rate.  

To allow bowling after 11 or midnight is insane.  

Checking on Cruisedecksplan I don’t see a bowling alley bocce that cabin? 

Thanks for posting the warning.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0635.png

Edited by miched

5 hours ago, miched said:

Cabins are priced differently for a reason.  That is why the same type of cabin may be than another and they charge more for it.  .  It is the location even though all inside cabins in the YC I think are are priced the same for that cruise.  

Warning about the bad cabins and the best work both ways.   If the cruise line sees people are booking certain cabins first they start to charge extra  as being a premium location.  PThose that have a problem will be a little cheaper and be used as a teaser fare or given out for the guarantee rate.  

To allow bowling after 11 or midnight is insane.  

Checking on Cruisedecksplan I don’t see a bowling alley bocce that cabin? 

Thanks for posting the warning.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0635.png

Actually cleaning the kitchen, wife and I called it the bowling alley!! Very little sleep for 4 nights!  Then we began the walk of shame at night out of YC to sleep!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

I have made it a rule to only book cabins that are below another cabin and just hope dinosaurs do not occupy the room above for that sailing.

I usually check the location, but I guess I slipped on this one!

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

I have made it a rule to only book cabins that are below another cabin and just hope dinosaurs do not occupy the room above for that sailing.

We generally have that rule too, but had to make an exception for our YC sailing in January. YINs go quick and only those on deck 19 were available even though we booked more than a year out. I really wish they labeled what goes in the blank spaces on the deck plan. We're under what is probably the kitchen area for the pool deck grill, but really nothing says that for sure and we couldn't find any reviews of the cabins in that area, so we just had to roll the dice. Here's hoping it's just storage or something, I guess!

4 hours ago, DaveyGK said:

We are booked into 16029 which seems like its also under the kitchen area. Has anyone seen a review of this cabin? Hopefully it doesn't have the same issue. 

16029 may be far enough toward aft to hear and feel the clacking and banging.  I would think that 16023 should have heard something, our wine glasses adjacent to the common wall would rattle at times.

If you do encounter an issue, skip the butler and concierge. Go straight to the YC Director!

• Like 1

We had a similar problem on the Virtuosa in July in a YC deluxe balcony on deck 18 under the sun deck with loud noise in early hours and again after 6am … raised early in voyage with concierge and butler but only offered a move with three days left in cruise when a cabin finally became available. One of our big criticisms of this cruise was the low profile of YC director. 

53 minutes ago, Corriegr said:

We had a similar problem on the Virtuosa in July in a YC deluxe balcony on deck 18 under the sun deck with loud noise in early hours and again after 6am … raised early in voyage with concierge and butler but only offered a move with three days left in cruise when a cabin finally became available. One of our big criticisms of this cruise was the low profile of YC director. 

Just curious do you remember who the director was?

On 8/9/2023 at 2:53 AM, rikitikitavii said:

We booked this cabin over a year ago, so I can’t remember if it was one of the few remaining, or I just didn’t do my homework!! so, I take partial blame!

We were on Seascape the week of July 30, 2023, in Yacht Club Interior Cabin 16019.

This cabin is located under the kitchen, which during the day, we had no issues.

BUT, at night, they opened the bowling alley!!  All night long!! The second night we complained to Concierge, and asked our butler for earplugs, they did not help. After complaining the forth day, YC director offered a cabin outside YC to sleep.  He told us that they know the cabin has continued complaints, but MSC continues to allow passengers to book it.

I had a very similar issue on Seashore last fall.  I started in a YIN (16025), but could hear sounds of equipment rolling and clanking into late night and starting in the very early hours.  My presumption, when you look at the plans, is that there is an access corridor above and/or behind those cabins between the lounge and the kitchens/storage and/or between the restaurant and the kitchens/storage - the bar staff and waiters passes, respectively, come out into the bar/restaurant in line with this theory.  I "jokingly" mentioned it to the butler on about day 3, sarcastically requesting they add in some carpeting (totally a joke!), and I presumed that "that was the way it was going to be".  I was surprised to be moved to another YIN the next day - I can't remember the exact number, but it was on 18 and there's only a few YIN cabins there.  Somewhat surprisingly, as the YINs on 18 are more or less above the ones on 16, the noise was better there.  There was still some level of noise of equipment/supplies being moved, but not as bad as 16 - seemed to be less of a vibration issue.  I was doing a B2B (both weeks supposed to be in 16025), and was (pleasantly) surprised to be moved again for the 2nd week, this time to a YC balcony ... woo, hoo ... [but was told this was very much an exception and MSC "never" does a free upgrade from YIN to YC balcony ... so, shsssh, don't tell anyone!😜].  Spent the last week in 18047 (I think, or a cabin close to that) ... Unfortunately this cabin also seemed to have some noise coming from somewhere - sounded like a radio, so maybe from the Aurea Bar prep area? - but it was mainly in the mid-afternoon so it was not really a problem ... and after being in 3 cabins in 2 weeks, I didn't dare mention it to any member of staff!  The balcony also had a dripping pipe in the corner - I did mention this to the butler and was told it was not immediately fixable - so I guess it was a "not in service" cabin for anyone who had actually paid the YC balcony price!

Bottom line, even if the plans show cabins "above and below" there can still be access areas that are not predictable.  I do try to "roll with the punches" and acknowledge I'm a very light sleeper, and do appreciate MSC attempting to fix the issues ... even if they weren't a 100% success!