Heeling

Papadog

Obviously, the motor yachts (Star* ships) do not heel, since they do no have sails.

The sailing ships will heel some when there is a decent wind.   It has never been bothersome or a problem, and nothing like smaller sailboats, but it is certainly noticeable.   My guesstimate (and I do have a little sailing background) is that on a beam reach (wind from the side or slightly aft of from the side) and a 15 - 20 knot wind, you would probably see about a 15 degree heel.  If the wind is variable and/or there are some waves/swells, the ship will roll some, probably a 5 - 10 degree roll.  If the wind is unfavorable or too strong, they may take in some or all of the sails to reduce the heel and rolling.  If there are relatively large waves/swells, having some wind in the sails will reduce the rolling motion and stabilize the ship some.

Most of the rolling motion is caused by waves and a ship is most exposed to waves when traveling parallel to the face of the waves, so they hit the ship broadside.  The most I have ever felt a Wind* ship roll was on our first Windstar cruise, on the Wind Star, when returning to Barbados.  There were some large waves in the open ocean and as we approached Barbados, for a short time early in the morning, we were turned broadside to these waves.  I did not quite get rolled out of my bed, but I was hanging on a bit.  It probably only lasted 15 minutes and then everything calmed down.  Well, until a tug boat put its nose (with a big rubber tire) up against the hull, right out side our cabin, and made a terrible screech/squawking sound.

We have been on the WS sailing yachts 25 times, crossed the Atlantic twice and the Pacific to Tahiti once, the Med Sea, Baltic Sea and Carib Sea perhaps it is my great weather karma but we have never heeled. The sailing ships also have stabilizers. I think the sails act as stabilizers as well.  Perhaps going across the N. Atlantic in September it will heel. AmateurGo did a nice explanation. I have my fingers crossed the N. Atlantic will be in a good mood. Sailed the N.Atlantic with my father long ago, some were horrid experiences, grim. We are on the 9/9 Iceland to Montréal. Happy Sailing. 

It depends on what you consider "heeling".  I have sailed everything from 14' Lasers (single-person, high performance/racing boats), Hobie-Cats, up to 44' cruisers and they all heel some, as does the Wind Surf.  How much depends on the size of the boat, the amount of sail area, and the wind.  Check the attached image from our first cruise on the Wind Star.  The camera is aligned with the ship, as is the railing and you can see how much we were heeled over: I'd guess a little less than 10 degrees.  At times we got over to probably about 15 degrees.  This was a bit unusual (from my experience), but certainly not unheard of.  On many other boats, especially the Lasers, you don't even begin to have fun until you're at about 45 degrees.  Even this "unusual" amount of heel is no problem.  You might have to be careful if you put a drink down on a smooth/slick table, but that was about it.

We were recently on a 600 passenger Seabourn ship and had to sail through a storm one night and, although I could not see outside, I suspect we were rolling to at least 15 degrees, although I don't consider that "heeling" since there were no sails involved.

image027.jpg

• Like 1

We've never noticed it either. Have not been on one of the sail ships in a dozen years, due to itinerary choices. They do make an effort to run under sail as much as possible/convenient, since it both saves money and pleases the customers.

I have NOT been on a wooden "windjammer" cruise, but these 400' and over, steel, computer trimmed ships are not the same kind of experience as that, I'm sure.