San Juan PR disembarkation

gradydude

We are off Viking Sea Dec 20.  The boat docks on Dec 19.  Per Viking guidelines it says do not book a flight before 8a.  I had booked a flight at 0815.  Am I cutting it too close?  Are there taxis available or should I book a ride to the airport from a private ride? Is there a long walk from the ship to the taxi or ride pick up?   How far away in time  is the airport to the cruise ship? I believe Viking offers transfers but will it get us to the airport on time? I do not see any other ships disembarking Dec 20, but it is the start of the Christmas holidays so is traffic bad? Thanks in advance for any input.  

18 hours ago, gradydude said:

We are off Viking Sea Dec 20.  The boat docks on Dec 19.  Per Viking guidelines it says do not book a flight before 8a.  I had booked a flight at 0815.  Am I cutting it too close?  Are there taxis available or should I book a ride to the airport from a private ride? Is there a long walk from the ship to the taxi or ride pick up?   How far away in time  is the airport to the cruise ship? I believe Viking offers transfers but will it get us to the airport on time? I do not see any other ships disembarking Dec 20, but it is the start of the Christmas holidays so is traffic bad? Thanks in advance for any input.  

To save any angst.

Move one’s flight to 12.00 hours, or later.

There are protocols and procedures to be followed at the airport, these will mean one may have to queue.  Nobody can predict how long these queues will be and amount of time eaten to cause distress.

http://sjuairportsanjuan.com/departures

Of course the recommendation is noon or later for the vast majority of ships that disembark there.  I usually take a 9:30am or 10am flight.  I do the self disembarkation and off ship about 7, get through customs, grab a taxi and usually arrive at airport at 7:45.   I would never take an 8:15am flight unless it was the next day.  However, if you really dock the day before, the question becomes what time can you walk off the ship that morning?  What time does customs/immigration open if needed, etc....?  I've been stuck for a few minutes waiting for them to open at 7 in the past.

Edited by Clubber

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cbob3849 said:

I am on the same ship.  Would like to find out if there is a place to store luggage at the airport so we can drop it and go back into town.  

Think the Restaurant Brrachina offers a holding service for a small fee.  Was $5 per suitcase.
Drop in the morning, sightsee, good lunch and a taxi to Airport.

I am on the same ship.  Would like to find out if there is a place to store luggage at the airport so we can drop it and go back into town.  

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think the Restaurant Brrachina offers a holding service for a small fee.  Was $5 per suitcase.
Drop in the morning, sightsee, good lunch and a taxi to Airport.

Barrachina Restaurant still says it offers free luggage storage for cruise passengers. A nice gratuity for the people handling your bags is appreciated of course.

https://www.barrachina.com/#servicios

-Special service offer to all cruise passengers having late flight out of San Juan.
-Free luggage storage service offer from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday.
-Taxi stand one building away from us.
-Free wireless service.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the info.  Also, the airport is so close, we may drop the bags off and come back.

SJU isn't that close...it's about 8 or 9 miles and traffic is often heavy. Perhaps you are looking at Isla Grande airport which is a small, mostly private aviation field that's close to the Pan American cruise terminal?

It's going to cost in the neighborhood of $50 to take a taxi to and from SJU just to drop your bags off. It will probably take you about an hour to get there, drop your bags off and take a taxi back.

Why spend that time and money?

18 minutes ago, cbob3849 said:

If seeking a special lunch, then ask for the Chef’s (very) special seafood Paella served for two persons to share.  Chef personally prepares the speciality from scratch.  Wait time will be about 45 minutes, but it’s so worth it.  Just go for the Paella (no starter except for a cocktail) as servings are generous.