Danube cruise review, Scenic Amber

ScottVan

23 hours ago, hihandycap said:

Never mind on docking location. (Received email of documents last evening which shows: 

1117 Budapest Henryk Slawik rakpart, approximately 250metres north from Rákoczi Bridge

We actually docked at at least 2 different places in Budapest, as I recall. The first one was in Buda, pretty far downstream, long walk to city center. Then after an evening cruise on the Danube, we docked again, somewhat close to the center of town (still in Buda). My impression is that the docking locations can change, and they do their best to get you close. You might have better docking locations this time of year than we did in "high season". There were well over a dozen cruise ships docked there, some rafted 4 deep.

6 minutes ago, ScottVan said:

The first one was in Buda, pretty far downstream, long walk to city center. Then after an evening cruise on the Danube, we docked again, somewhat close to the center of town (still in Buda)."

Our documents show the downstream one --"bummer!"  We're arriving from Bratislava and staying one night on the Pest side, since it's closer to the train station and Christmas markets.  There doesn't appear to be a good public transit route to the downstream Buda boarding location, so we'll probably see if Bolt is a better option than a taxi. 

So far, we are disappointed with Scenic--"free choice" has become actually "No Choice" for us.  When we went to the Trip Personalizer two months before sail date, Schönbrunn Palace was fully booked, and we chose Szentendre since we had spent three days in Budapest, two years ago before boarding an Emerald cruise to Bucharest.  When we got our documents, they showed us on the Budapest guided tour--another bummer!

We were planning to select the Ceský Krumlov option from Brandstatt, but now wouldn't be surprised if it also is not available when Scenic allows us to choose.  {This probably sounds like whining, but we just expected better "customer care" after three very enjoyable Emerald cruises.}

"Any suggestions?"

Try to check out Rick Steves Vienna, Salzburg, and Triol from a local library.  It has about 30 pages on Bratislava and a half dozen or so on Schönbrunn Palace.  If you dock in Vienna, Bratislava is about an hour in each direction by coach.  Bratislava is a more viable option if you overnight in Vienna and otherwise have time to see Vienna's other attractions.

12 hours ago, hihandycap said:

So far, we are disappointed with Scenic--"free choice" has become actually "No Choice" for us.  When we went to the Trip Personalizer two months before sail date, Schönbrunn Palace was fully booked, and we chose Szentendre since we had spent three days in Budapest, two years ago before boarding an Emerald cruise to Bucharest.  When we got our documents, they showed us on the Budapest guided tour--another bummer!

Don't give up hope. My vague recollection from my cruise back in 2018 was that the onboard cruise director was able to make changes to pre-bookings, and possibly find additional spots. I'd definitely inquire as soon as you board.

We found on our Scenic trip that people changed their minds about which trip to go on -  I did that couple of times - and some people changed their mind about going at all and stayed on the boat, if they were getting tired or sore knees or suchlike.

Did not have any difficulty in doing this, just spoke to CD and she organised it.

Completely agree with Kristelle & DougK over the years I’ve seen extra coaches added some removed single person tours the CD’s will try and accommodate everyone. I class my touring as before Knees and after Knees and at one port talk the explanation about the amount and steepness of the cobbled streets I would encounter the next day, on a tour we had put our names down for months before, meant we (or at least I)had to drop out. So don’t despair as soon as you can when the CD is not battling with newly arrived guests etc ask to be remembered for the tour if any one drops out. 
I’ve not done the palace with Scenic as I’d done it several times when a lot younger and yes in parts it’s spectacular but there are other palaces there is only (fingers crossed) nor Bratislava. Have a great trip.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, ScottVan said:

For the other stops, we made our choices after the cruise began.

Do you or anyone else know the dress code for Scenic's Vienna Enrich option:

"Breathe in the opulence and luxury of Palais Liechtenstein while enjoying a glass of fine
Austrian Sekt. Then be enthralled by an enchanting private Viennese evening concert
featuring the timeless music of Strauss and Mozart." 

We would prefer to use our "green?" alternative to backpacks for this but only if business casual attire is acceptable. 

1 hour ago, hihandycap said:

"Breathe in the opulence and luxury of Palais Liechtenstein while enjoying a glass of fine
Austrian Sekt. Then be enthralled by an enchanting private Viennese evening concert

We would prefer to use our "green?" alternative to backpacks for this but only if business casual attire is acceptable. 

Interested in this one myself - we're off to do the Christmas Markets cruise this week and everything our family and friends in Europe are telling us is it's very cold at the moment. I won't be packing a suit or tuxedo for one activity especially if it's freezing in the castle at night. I did see this review which suggested when it's cold everyone just dresses appropriately.

Edited by Not Here

Vienna may be more formal that other parts of Europe [it is in my historical imagination...] but we have been on two Scenic enrich concert events and no one dressed up for either one.  

On the Seine cruise the description was similar to what you quoted above:  "Château de La Roche-Guyon is a sight to behold. Experience the opulence and grandeur of yesteryear as you enjoy a classical concert performed by the region’s most reputable musicians." 

In Porto:  

"The sheer beauty of São Francisco Church is sure to impress.  The façade is a mix of Gothic and Baroque architecture, while the interior glows with intricate wood carvings swathed in gold.  Immerse yourself in the heart and soul of Portuguese music as you witness a spectacular private concert in these wondrous surroundings."

The opulence, grandeur, beauty and wonder were all in the surroundings.  We and our fellow passengers were dressed in our usual casual chic...  [Both concerts were very enjoyable, by the way.]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hihandycap said:

Our family attended this experience in August. We all thought it was fantastic (we ranged in age from 20s to 80s). Business casual is fine. I did wear a tie, since I brought one, but many did not. Enjoy it!

--Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to that event on a Scenic cruise about 2 months ago.

People dressed up bit more than they did for dinners on the ship but by no means very formal. Nobody wore tuxedos or suits. A few men did wear ties but they were minority. Most wore chino type pants and smart collared shirt. Women  wore dresses or dressy pants/ top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1