NCL Newbie. VIVA Cabin questions

olemissreb

My March '25 cruise got canceled by the cruise line, so now my sister and I are looking to replace it with a cruise in the Viva.  Looking at the website, I have some questions on the cabins...

1- what is the real difference between a balcony cabin and a deluxe balcony suite (or however they named them)? 

2 - in the pictures of the balcony cabins (and deluxe balcony suite), the beds look like sofa hide-a-beds. Do they really look like that and if so, are they as uncomfortable as a sofa bed?

3 - any pointers in choosing a cabin? We prefer mid-ship and higher decks.

4 - anything else you can share (good, bad and ugly) about NCL in general and the Viva specifically?

Thank y'all for all your help.

4 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

My March '25 cruise got canceled by the cruise line, so now my sister and I are looking to replace it with a cruise in the Viva.  Looking at the website, I have some questions on the cabins...

1- what is the real difference between a balcony cabin and a deluxe balcony suite (or however they named them)?

The deluxe balcony suite has a bigger bathroom with a bathtub. Otherwise, not much different, and I don’t think worth the extra cost.

2 - in the pictures of the balcony cabins (and deluxe balcony suite), the beds look like sofa hide-a-beds. Do they really look like that and if so, are they as uncomfortable as a sofa bed?

They’re regular beds despite how they may look, and they’re very comfortable IMO.

3 - any pointers in choosing a cabin? We prefer mid-ship and higher decks.

If you prefer mid-ship and higher, book that. The higher and more forward the better on Viva, as you’ll otherwise look down onto Ocean Boulevard instead of the ocean. I feel deck 9 aft would be the worst location IMO.

4 - anything else you can share (good, bad and ugly) about NCL in general and the Viva specifically?

The Viva is only just finishing her inaugural sailing tomorrow, so the reviews should start coming in the next few months. However, it’s basically just like the Prima, so you can go off of those reviews for now. I personally loved Prima and am already booked on Viva. The ship is extremely beautiful and modern with the most spacious standard rooms and bathrooms I have seen, and the food was outstanding.

1. A little more space in the Club Balcony Suites. A few perks (snacks, laundry, ability to book dinners and shows pre-cruise earlier)

Balcony (231 sq ft room)

image.png.1b9b5af0ffefa35debac5d3346f102dc.png

Club Balcony Suite (265 sq ft room) 

You can see a little more space between bed and balcony door and more space on the right side of the sofa. 

image.png.58b3e89bfe02c17a0fbcd83427b9e2c7.png

2. Beds are regular twin cruise ship beds (can be combined into a queen - Since there is has been one Viva cruise, this is a picture from the Prima). The Prima does not have skirts on the beds in steerage cabins. 

image.png.9453e5c63349092c9fb06055cc8d1e85.png

3. Choose a mid-ship, high cabin. 

4. Again, there has only been one cruise on the Viva, so not a lot of reviews. We will be on her later in the year. 

3 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

The deluxe balcony suite has a bigger bathroom with a bathtub. Otherwise, not much different, and I don’t think worth the extra cost.

We sailed in both a Balcony and CBS on the Prima. The bathrooms are about the same size. The room is bigger.

Thank you all so much.

Another question that I just thought of...

I know NCL has freestyle crusing, but do people dress up for a formal night (or 2)? I really love getting dressed to the nines a couple times on a cruise since I don't get to do it often in real life. Just wondering if my sister and I should pack our formal gowns and suitcoats for our guys.

18 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Thank you all so much.

Another question that I just thought of...

I know NCL has freestyle crusing, but do people dress up for a formal night (or 2)? I really love getting dressed to the nines a couple times on a cruise since I don't get to do it often in real life. Just wondering if my sister and I should pack our formal gowns and suitcoats for our guys.

Feel free to dress however you wish, but most passengers on NCL ships don't get particularly fancy, even on the formal nights. You may see sportcoats on men and cocktail dresses for the ladies, but rarely gowns, tuxes or the like.

6 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

Feel free to dress however you wish, but most passengers on NCL ships don't get particularly fancy, even on the formal nights. You may see sportcoats on men and cocktail dresses for the ladies, but rarely gowns, tuxes or the like.

Thank you! I have a couple gowns that I just love and feel so "sexy and sultry" (as my boyfriend would say) in and I just don't get enough chances to wear them. I may just wear them anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More questions...

Drink packages...what all is covered?

What is the $ per drink limit?

Is there a limit per day?

My sister is an 18 year recovering alcoholic...does she have to get the same drink package as her boyfriend or is there a way to call and get 2 different packages for her cabin?

What kinds of bourbons do they have on board? And are they covered by the drink package?

My boyfriend and I would have gotten the premium beverage package on Celebrity. I love my vanilla lattes or cappucinos in the morning and a bottle or 2 of Evian on excursions plus some pre-dinner, during dinner, and post-dinner drinks (yup...I get my money's worth). What is NCLs equivalent?

49 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

If you have the most common package which is the Premium Beverage Package (PBP)...

"Includes premium spirit brands, cocktails, beer, soda, juices, and wines by the glass up to $15 value.

Any items over $15 USD will receive an $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

A 20% discount will be given on non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), Wine and Spirit Experiences, Connoisseur Collection beverages, tastings and flights purchased on board.

Does not include Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions, Connoisseur Collection beverages, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

...long story short, most common drinks $15 and under are covered. If it is over $15, you pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. 

53 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

No. Drink as much as you can handle. The bartenders will cut you off if you've obviously had too much. 

54 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

My sister is an 18 year recovering alcoholic...does she have to get the same drink package as her boyfriend or is there a way to call and get 2 different packages for her cabin?

Possible but unlikely....

"No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included."

...but your sister can have non-alcoholic versions as well as soda with the package. Some people have tried to use a doctor's note for those who cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons but those notes don't always work. If receiving the package as a promo, paying only the service charge (20%) is a good deal even if she doesn't drink alcohol. If anyone plans to BUY a package, it's better to skip the package and have them pay a la carte for drinks.

59 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

My boyfriend and I would have gotten the premium beverage package on Celebrity. I love my vanilla lattes or cappucinos in the morning and a bottle or 2 of Evian on excursions plus some pre-dinner, during dinner, and post-dinner drinks (yup...I get my money's worth). What is NCLs equivalent?

The basic/standard package wouldn't cover all that you like but the Starbucks Package (sold separately) or the Premium Plus Beverage Package (PPBP) upgrade are options to consider. 

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If you have the most common package which is the Premium Beverage Package (PBP)...

"Includes premium spirit brands, cocktails, beer, soda, juices, and wines by the glass up to $15 value.

Any items over $15 USD will receive an $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

A 20% discount will be given on non-select bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), Wine and Spirit Experiences, Connoisseur Collection beverages, tastings and flights purchased on board.

Does not include Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions, Connoisseur Collection beverages, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

...long story short, most common drinks $15 and under are covered. If it is over $15, you pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. 

No. Drink as much as you can handle. The bartenders will cut you off if you've obviously had too much. 

Possible but unlikely....

"No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included."

...but your sister can have non-alcoholic versions as well as soda with the package. Some people have tried to use a doctor's note for those who cannot drink alcohol for medical reasons but those notes don't always work. If receiving the package as a promo, paying only the service charge (20%) is a good deal even if she doesn't drink alcohol. If anyone plans to BUY a package, it's better to skip the package and have them pay a la carte for drinks.

The basic/standard package wouldn't cover all that you like but the Starbucks Package (sold separately) or the Premium Plus Beverage Package (PPBP) upgrade are options to consider. 

Thank you! So if I get a promo package, is that the Premium or Premium Plus package? If only Premium, can I upgrade to PPBP?

11 hours ago, olemissreb said:

"Dress Up for Formal Night" normally implies ball gowns and tuxes. None of that on NCL. Actually, shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals except Le Bistro and Palomar where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans and dockers are fine). That being said, many people will dress like they are going out to dinner at home (sexy and sultry). Most will be casual (polo shirts and dockers). And yes, there are those that dress like they are eating at home (shorts and t-shirts). 

What is the $ per drink limit?

The standard Premium Beverage Package covers the first $15 of each drink. Most standard drinks are well under $15. If you exceed $15, you pay the difference and gratuities on the difference. So, if your martini costs $16, you end up paying $1.00 + $0.20 = $1.20.

There is no limit on total cost or number of drinks a day. You start your morning with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary in the buffer for breakfast and you keep drinking until that late night cap before going to bed. Every drink does not have to have alcohol. 

Does not include Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions, Connoisseur Collection beverages, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

No. All adults get the same package. She can order virgin drinks throughout the cruise. 

What kinds of bourbons do they have on board? And are they covered by the drink package?

Example only from the whisky bar. Selections will vary by ship and supply chain availability. the whisky bar (goes by different names on ships) will have a larger selection than other bars. 

image.thumb.png.0048997b96032f649024265bbbd02721.png

They are not included with the standard beverage pacakge. You would have to upgrade to the Premium Plus pacakge that would include coffees and waters (aqua pana or boxes of Flow water - environmentally friendly paper boxes (no more plastic)). Or add a Starbucks package for just the coffees. Or, be like the vast majority of the passengers and pay 😯for a Starbucks a couple of times a cruise. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Thank you! So if I get a promo package, is that the Premium or Premium Plus package? If only Premium, can I upgrade to PPBP?

The promo package is the PREMIUM package. You can log on to your MyNCL account (cruise planner) and see pricing for upgrading to the PLUS package or adding a coffee package. 

image.png.0a88ff3365a25ad1996400d8815a6240.png

$29 * 7 nights + 20% gratuity = $243.60 for a 1 week cruise per person

image.png.5dec1c7553a093cfa6fc11fe382d5f87.png

$108.78 for a 1 week cruise per person 

Or you could splurge for $343 per person for a 7-night cruise and get the Free at Sea PLUS package

image.png.cebb8e2b5a43190310acb9b676f9ae05.png

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The promo package is the PREMIUM package. You can log on to your MyNCL account (cruise planner) and see pricing for upgrading to the PLUS package or adding a coffee package. 

image.png.0a88ff3365a25ad1996400d8815a6240.png

$29 * 7 nights + 20% gratuity = $243.60 for a 1 week cruise per person

image.png.5dec1c7553a093cfa6fc11fe382d5f87.png

$108.78 for a 1 week cruise per person 

Or you could splurge for $343 per person for a 7-night cruise and get the Free at Sea PLUS package

image.png.cebb8e2b5a43190310acb9b676f9ae05.png

Ok you just prompted another question...I usually book independent excursions. Since I wouldn't be using the shore excursion credits, would they change it to OBC to use for other purchases? 

Just now, olemissreb said:

Ok you just prompted another question...I usually book independent excursions. Since I wouldn't be using the shore excursion credits, would they change it to OBC to use for other purchases? 

The Shore Excursion credit is taken off the cost of NCL ShoreEx. So, if you don't book any NCL excursions, there is no credit applied and the entitlement goes used. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

The Shore Excursion credit is taken off the cost of NCL ShoreEx. So, if you don't book any NCL excursions, there is no credit applied and the entitlement goes used. 

I suspected as much, but thought it doesn't hurt to ask either. Wishful thinking I suppose. Thank you!

Well I just put courtesy holds on 2 rooms for a sailing on the Viva.  Got a couple days to decide whether to pull the trigger or not.  It's only about $500 more expensive than our X cruise was, but we would be getting the Free at Sea deals and we get 1 extra port of call. 

My sister sailed on NCL way back in 1990, but the rest of us are newbies, so please bear with me as I pick up on the "lingo" and ask a million questions.

I did some research on the Viva on the NCL site and am wondering with such a port intensive cruise, if getting passes for the Vibe Beach Club is worth it?  Not sure I'd want a cabana, but may look into that also.

I also saw something about cabanas at the Indulge - are those first come first served or do you reserve them?

And here's a probably really silly question but...does the Starbux app work on the ship so I can earn stars?

We haven't added airfare to our cruises, how does that work?  Do we get to choose the date and times we want to fly?  Or does NCL do that for us? I figure we'll want to fly down either the Friday or Saturday before the cruise and sightsee around San Juan. I'm 90 minutes from the closest airport and I really don't want to get up before the birds to get to the airport (which isn't in a great part of town) to catch a flight.

Y'all have been really helpful - thank you so much!  I have a good feeling we'll end up completing our bookings before the end of the weekend and I'll get into full planning mode - even if it's 18 months away! 🤣

12 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Well I just put courtesy holds on 2 rooms for a sailing on the Viva.  Got a couple days to decide whether to pull the trigger or not.  It's only about $500 more expensive than our X cruise was, but we would be getting the Free at Sea deals and we get 1 extra port of call. 

My sister sailed on NCL way back in 1990, but the rest of us are newbies, so please bear with me as I pick up on the "lingo" and ask a million questions.

I did some research on the Viva on the NCL site and am wondering with such a port intensive cruise, if getting passes for the Vibe Beach Club is worth it?  Not sure I'd want a cabana, but may look into that also.

I also saw something about cabanas at the Indulge - are those first come first served or do you reserve them?

And here's a probably really silly question but...does the Starbux app work on the ship so I can earn stars?

We haven't added airfare to our cruises, how does that work?  Do we get to choose the date and times we want to fly?  Or does NCL do that for us? I figure we'll want to fly down either the Friday or Saturday before the cruise and sightsee around San Juan. I'm 90 minutes from the closest airport and I really don't want to get up before the birds to get to the airport (which isn't in a great part of town) to catch a flight.

Y'all have been really helpful - thank you so much!  I have a good feeling we'll end up completing our bookings before the end of the weekend and I'll get into full planning mode - even if it's 18 months away! 🤣

In general, I do not believe in spending money on the Vibe. The Via has the most open deck space per passenger on any modern cruise ship. 

Open deck space is first come first serve. And it is spectacular. 

Yup, if you are paying for coffees, you can earn stars. 

Default air arrives on day of cruise. You can pay for a deviation to arrive or leave a day or two early/late. NCL is going to pick the cheapest air for you. You could arrive at 5 am on day of cruise and leave at 11:00 pm on return. Or you fl could get great flights. Personally, we don’t care if we can save some money. Sitting and reading in the airport is ok for us. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

In general, I do not believe in spending money on the Vibe. The Via has the most open deck space per passenger on any modern cruise ship. 

Open deck space is first come first serve. And it is spectacular. 

Yup, if you are paying for coffees, you can earn stars. 

Default air arrives on day of cruise. You can pay for a deviation to arrive or leave a day or two early/late. NCL is going to pick the cheapest air for you. You could arrive at 5 am on day of cruise and leave at 11:00 pm on return. Or you fl could get great flights. Personally, we don’t care if we can save some money. Sitting and reading in the airport is ok for us. 

Well then I'm glad we didn't get the air add on...gives us more flexibility.  Thanks!

We are booked!  We got the Free at Sea and paid gratuities for the Beverage Package and the Dining,  For the Dining package, how exactly does that work?  I figure we'll try to go to Cagney's, Onda, Los Lobos, Le Bistro (I've got to get my escargot) and maybe something else.  How many are open for lunch?

Oh so much to do and so little time.