Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on the Navigator of the Seas (Maybe with few pictures added)...

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Good one!  🤣

Thanks.  I figured you would appreciate the video although I just realized I had a typo in the original posting as I meant to say “with or without you” to correspond to the video.

Another thing I originally wanted to do with the rain at the miniature golf area was add in the Eurythmics song, Here Comes the Rain Again, next to the picture of the wet deck and then drop in the Beatles “Here Comes the Sun” after I went back on deck later in the afternoon.

Didn’t do either one at the right places.  That’s the drawback of writing a trip report in a real-time format.

Oh, well, don't quit my daytime job and try to become a professional reviewer…

• Like 3

Back to the cabin to shower and get dressed for the night’s festivities. Brought over the pet from the in-law’s cabin.

20230809_183204.thumb.jpg.334eb22037043c525fb4c06e4693d01f.jpg

Before the 7 PM show, we went to check on the crazy aunt in the basement to see if she was well fed – aka going to the photo place to check out the photos we took last night at the formal night and this morning's dockside photo at Catalina.

At the beginning of the cruise, they had a 20% off promotion on a photo package that you had to buy on days 1 or 2.  Now that is day 3, prices have gone back up to the normal cost.  FYI each 8 X 10 picture is priced at $25 each so you do your math on what package you want.

I already bought the photo package for the December cruise last November during the Black Friday sale of 50% off so we are all set there.  If getting photos from a special cruise is important to you, then by all means check the sales online prior to boarding.

20230809_183946.thumb.jpg.12c138a1a9e67cf5cc2195cf5e7c9e3c.jpg

• Like 1

After seeing the crazy aunt is well cared for, we proceeded to the main theater once more for tonight’s entertainment.  Originally it was to be the Magic act but they swapped days 2 and 3 so we got the Ballroom dancing tonight.

20230809_184632.thumb.jpg.833699a4ba514b29fe892f65f3bc8e38.jpg

Few pics from the show.  Not a bad show but not super memorable either.  Just blends into the various musical types of shows you typically see on cruise ships.

20230809_190908.thumb.jpg.3bf4e4de936158c70005d55b4a33a175.jpg

20230809_191405.thumb.jpg.f3f13d5971c0b39f3014566b7c8102c7.jpg

20230809_193437.thumb.jpg.feb3d046932b86adb73c86318ed0c247.jpg

20230809_194055.thumb.jpg.27965508360bf7ca6cfba851080cd064.jpg

20230809_194214.thumb.jpg.92d9a10eddfbc86e8f7e06943377905d.jpg

• Like 1

Same routine as previous nights.  Rest room break/washing hands pre-dinner and a couple of pictures from the Promenade deck as the sun sets in the west.

The distance between the Catalina and Ensenada is around 150 miles so it’s not that far where the captain has to sail full speed as we are just slowly cruising south.

20230809_195622.thumb.jpg.a9859b972734db5f77986905f44cfc87.jpg

20230809_195634.thumb.jpg.2c9c9f98c5e7bca5da995dbbbdbdef80.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:39 AM, harryfat1 said:

20161220_081910.thumb.jpg.41550c41d439fb3dcad62eca7304ae8a.jpg

Is anyone here with any tender boat pictures to share?

I take a lot of pictures so I thought I had a lot of tender boat pictures I could share. Unfortunately, most of my tender boat pictures are not OF the tender boats, they’re pictures taken FROM the tender boats! 😂 However, I do have a few of the tender boats.

IMG_8625.jpeg

IMG_8626.jpeg

IMG_8627.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8629.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8632.jpeg

• Like 2

I tried to edit the above post it insert ship names and ports. Apparently I took too long with the edit so it wouldn’t separate the pictures and add the text.

The first two are at Cap Cana, DR in 2018. We were sailing on Koningsdam. The ship waited for us outside the port while lifeboats doubled as our tender to get us to the dock.

The next four are from our Freedom Of The Seas cruise in 2015. The first two are tenders pulled alongside Freedom, the third is one of the tenders at the dock, and the fourth is the mermaid 🧜‍♀️ statue at the tender dock area on Coco Cay. I included the mermaid because I’m wondering if anyone knows what happened to the 🧜‍♀️ mermaid. Anybody know?

The last picture is from our Ruby Princess cruise in 2014 at our stop on Princess Cay. Once again, lifeboats we’re used for tendering.

I think I may need to remember in the future to only post one or two pictures at a time so I don’t touch something with my pinkie finger right appear the end of my post causing me to have to start all over again. I end up timing out, having to start all over again and timing out on my edit. 

Here's tonight's menu as I just took a screenshot from the web page:

image.thumb.png.f2b87aa1aa19f0519bf35519ef4aa275.png

Starters

They advertised as jumbo shrimp - it's not.  More like medium shrimp

20230809_202644.thumb.jpg.e27aad7075784b3bdc0dabcf0b8ed5fc.jpg

That weird name in calling it pork bao taco - mixing Chinese and Mexican food names and flavors.  Not too bad.  The bao texture isn't as soft as the traditional Asian baos you would find in Chinatown.

Do note if you eat both, they are pretty filling so cut back on the bread in the basket before you order this one dish.

20230809_202823.thumb.jpg.e15777464ce29877550439f4da42abee.jpg

French Onion Soup.  Always a cruise favorite.  Except mine was too salty.  Similar to the escargot I ate on Day 1.  Whoever is in the kitchen at the Navigator is pretty heavy-handed with the salt distribution of the MDR food

20230809_202834.thumb.jpg.d1e99cd2a722bd12a63096fe7c363e59.jpg

• Like 1

My wife thought the garlic shrimps were the best dish on the entire cruise.  I will have to try that in December.  This was her dish.

20230809_204617.thumb.jpg.e5c24a609bd6ab8629316fe9721a74df.jpg

I got the pork chops which were overcooked and too dry. Although on the YouTube review, it received good comments, and someone mentioned in the prior discussion they liked this dish as well.  Pork chop can be tricky if overcooked because it's thick, it can be dry and tough

20230809_204949.thumb.jpg.b602a03583e810dbbee198dcc5041e8b.jpg

Eggplant

20230809_204537.thumb.jpg.9bac85391adfcd909827c0b53fe7860b.jpg

Chicken

20230809_204832.thumb.jpg.207d7a1cb24969a54f25fc6b3edc6405.jpg

• Like 3

After the main course and before the desserts, the wait staff did a dance routine.

From afar, my son said, that waiter in the middle is really into the dance.  I laughed and said, yeah, that’s Mr. Washy Washy from the Windjammer.  Like I said before, the dude is like the Energizer Bunny.

There’s a reason why they put him front and center with his Mr. Washy Washy bright Hawaiian shirt

As I don’t just give you the final product, here’s a video of the ambiance in the MDR as the folks enjoying the waiters dancing

As an infrequent cruiser, I really like these special dancing waiter events.  I have read many party poopers here on CC who have cruised so often, they really dislike this interruption as they rather just eat their meal in peace.

I couldn't disagree more as I welcome these special things that you only see on cruises that you don't experience at a typical restaurant back home.  Things like this make the cruise experience different than a land-based vacation

• Like 4

Dessert time.  More of the “meh” desserts.  Nothing bad about them but they just seem to be a bigger portion of what I could have eaten at the Windjammer.  I thought MDR food was supposed to make you feel more special as you are on a cruise. Not anymore.  It’s not bad food but no wow factor either.

As we were eating dessert, we were openly debating whether or not we should come back to MDR for night 4 or just go to the buffet instead.  Prior to this new 2023 menu change, that is heresy as we have never purposely skipped MDR dinner in all our prior cruises. 

The only one we missed was due to coming back late from a Mayan temple excursion in Costa Maya in 2016 as we didn’t have lunch and made a beeline for buffet dinner ASAP.

After some debate, we decided to stick with MDR as if nothing else it gives us a preview of what (not) to order for the December cruise as we will encounter the same exact menu option in 4 months

20230809_212131.thumb.jpg.ebf8e4eba2d42ec283fece2f5a99df7b.jpg

20230809_212142.thumb.jpg.95c7611df4dd06214c4ac5ce4711b836.jpg

20230809_212250.thumb.jpg.bda8a78f135d357fefcb2d89f9722685.jpg

20230809_212341.thumb.jpg.a2cb35a3b656a0b6705fe4cdf8dd817c.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, perfect match said:

I tried to edit the above post it insert ship names and ports. Apparently I took too long with the edit so it wouldn’t separate the pictures and add the text.

The first two are at Cap Cana, DR in 2018. We were sailing on Koningsdam. The ship waited for us outside the port while lifeboats doubled as our tender to get us to the dock.

The next four are from our Freedom Of The Seas cruise in 2015. The first two are tenders pulled alongside Freedom, the third is one of the tenders at the dock, and the fourth is the mermaid 🧜‍♀️ statue at the tender dock area on Coco Cay. I included the mermaid because I’m wondering if anyone knows what happened to the 🧜‍♀️ mermaid. Anybody know?

The last picture is from our Ruby Princess cruise in 2014 at our stop on Princess Cay. Once again, lifeboats we’re used for tendering.

I think I may need to remember in the future to only post one or two pictures at a time so I don’t touch something with my pinkie finger right appear the end of my post causing me to have to start all over again. I end up timing out, having to start all over again and timing out on my edit. 

Thanks for the pictures.  I appreciate you looking back at the archives as I know how time-consuming the process can be.

Yeah, tenders are not popular as it's slow and with the bigger ships, you have to get a number to wait for your time slot.

I believe the Freedom class is the largest ship that RCI runs tenders.  I don't believe any Oasis or Quantum class ships sail to any tender-required ports as there are too many people on those ships to tender.

I remember being in a tender for one cruise where we were using the ship's lifeboat as they needed extra ships to haul the people. I was thinking to myself that it wouldn't be very pleasant if we had to be stranded in the middle of the ocean in this boat with a couple hundred people with everyone wearing life vests but at least you are not in the waters...

• Like 1

The garlic shrimp are one of my favourites. The problem is, that with the new menus, they're on the same night as the coconut shrimp, so shrimp for starters and shrimp for mains, which then becomes a lot of shrimp in a single seating. 😕

• Like 3

All done with dinner.  Time for the biggest entertainment event of the cruise – at least for us. The 70s dance party.  Ever since the Allure cruise in 2014, my boys have enjoyed the RCI 70s street dance party. 

Princess Cruise had a 70s dance party as well but they meant the people dancing were in their 70s…

This was the big dance party for the Princess cruise at their atrium last summer

20220807_214228.thumb.jpg.f2fefc113db1da42408f89f5b396782f.jpg

This was the RCI dance party

20230809_223201.thumb.jpg.181aa04f296d2b24652d8c700a17727a.jpg

Not exactly the same...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

As with the belly flop contest previously, I wanted to see things from a different perspective so my younger son and I went up higher at the railings to see things from above while my wife and older son stayed at the ground level.  So once again y’all will get two perspectives of the same show to get your money’s worth.

I’ll be adding in some YouTube videos to supplement the pictures to get the full effects of the 70s dance as it ranks as the top 3 entertainment venue for the family. Starting with some dances to get the body warmed up.

Let’s kick it off with a quick dance video of the granddaddy of all the Disco songs – Stayin Alive and watch the woman dance in those heels is amazing

KC and the Sunshine Band telling how he likes things:

In the Navy with the Simpsons

Earth Wind and Fire - as luck would have it, today IS THE 21st night of September as referenced by the song.  I couldn't plan it this well even if I wanted to...

Everyone knows this song. 

As I previously noted, one day I will be old enough that my arms will be stiff and can only maintain the Y stance for the song.  It’s like the old adage that a broken clock is right twice a day.  In my case, I will be right one out of four times but have no fear as the song repeats quickly so just maintain the Y position as they will come back to you.

Y-Y-Y-Y....

• Like 2

Ah, 70’s night! We haven’t been to that in a while. We’ve been sailing mostly on Oasis class ships and there’s no way we have ever been able to fit in everything we wanted to do on one of those ships. 

I think it was on our first Indy cruise that one of our younger table mates was totally amazed when we told her that the Village People are a real group, not one that was made up by the Royal Caribbean entertainment staff! 😂 Said table mate was around 19 or 20 at the time. Our whole dinner conversation that night was spent convincing her that The Village People were real, and that we had recently seen them performing at Epcot. That was a fun time in the MDR! Thanks for the memory! 😀

• Haha 1

So the last picture had a time stamp of 10:45 and after the dance party was over.  As discussed previously with the 80s party, after 11 PM, things quiet down at the Promenade.

After the blah dance party of the Princess cruise, the family was happy to be back to the much more lively

We got the usual water and tea from the café after the dance and just walked up 3 decks and cooled off for awhile before going to sleep after the exciting party.

As we had a lot of high-energy dance music tonight, let’s have something more mellow to close out the night with some classical music with Yiruma’s River Flows in You.

Lately, I have been watching more Classic music piano videos for some unknown reason….

This concludes Day 3 of the trip report as we are almost done here with one more day of reporting to go but Day 4 will be our only and only excursion for this cruise so it might be worthwhile to see those pictures.

As always, thanks to all who have been reading this for the past few weeks.  I always appreciate all the comments and the feedback via the “likes” people have clicked on. 

Good thing CC doesn’t have a thumbs-down button similar to YouTube as I’m sure many people have been searching for that button for years now after reading my trip reports…🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Programming Note – I will be out of town this weekend as I have to help my son move into his new apartment ahead of his college year.  So it’ll be another 400 mile drive as you saw on Day 0 of the trip report to Southern California as that’s where he goes to school.

As such, I won’t be doing any trip report writing but y’all are welcome to talk to each other/ask questions/get into the never-ending debate of MDR dress code while I’m out.

I will check and respond to any questions and comments posted over the weekend from the hotel but I won’t have time/energy to write the next chapter of the report.

However I do have one question for y'all - I just booked my airfare for FLL for December and we will have one extra full day in town.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to do while in town?

In the previous cruises, we have done the water taxi thing as well as walking around downtown.  Is anything else in FLL worth doing? Anything fun to do in the surrounding neighborhoods? 

20 minutes ago, perfect match said:

Ah, 70’s night! We haven’t been to that in a while. We’ve been sailing mostly on Oasis class ships and there’s no way we have ever been able to fit in everything we wanted to do on one of those ships. 

I think it was on our first Indy cruise that one of our younger table mates was totally amazed when we told her that the Village People are a real group, not one that was made up by the Royal Caribbean entertainment staff! 😂 Said table mate was around 19 or 20 at the time. Our whole dinner conversation that night was spent convincing her that The Village People were real, and that we had recently seen them performing at Epcot. That was a fun time in the MDR! Thanks for the memory! 😀

Yeah, the younger generation wouldn't have any connections to the '70s or '80s singers without RCI as they are single-handedly keeping the era in focus with all the dance parties on all their ships on a weekly basis.

They still have the '70s dance party on the Oasis class ships, right? That's what got my boys hooked on the era back on the Allure cruise.

We will definitely be doing 70s dance party again in December on the Odyssey as that's the top entertainment venue for us. I have seen videos of them having the party at the 270 on the Quantum class ships instead of the Royal Promenade like Voyager/Freedom/Oasis-class ships.  The 270 venue doesn't look as lively as having a street party. 

I like the street party on the Oasis class Promenade the best as its wide and people can see it from above in different areas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

However I do have one question for y'all - I just booked my airfare for FLL for December and we will have one extra full day in town.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to do while in town?

We will be in FLL in October for our Adventure cruise. I can report back as I will be doing a live review. We plan on doing the water taxi and are staying at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas where there is good shopping and restaurants. I was really hoping that the famous Tiki bar and restaurant the Mai Kai will be back open after their hurricane damage renovations but they won’t be yet. They may be open by your visit. The Mai Kai has an amazing Polynesian dance and music show. The place is huge and the decor is amazing. It would be a place I think you would like.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We will be in FLL in October for our Adventure cruise. I can report back as I will be doing a live review. We plan on doing the water taxi and are staying at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas where there is good shopping and restaurants. I was really hoping that the famous Tiki bar and restaurant the Mai Kai will be back open after their hurricane damage renovations but they won’t be yet. They may be open by your visit. The Mai Kai has an amazing Polynesian dance and music show. The place is huge and the decor is amazing. It would be a place I think you would like.

Greg, I don’t know if you’re aware that you will be sailing from Ft Lauderdale International boat show. 
https://www.flibs.com/en/home.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9rSoBhCiARIsAFOiplmee_upCoGboPcbMR0LgkbYk4g30HAOUg2hPg24soPzZJVVllMLr5caAjs7EALw_wcB

You will find that the city will be far more crowded than normal and many things you might expect to be doing will not be available as they will be taken over by the boat show crowd. I’m not sure exactly when they take over the water taxis. Check the water taxi website for information or contact them directly and ask. https://watertaxi.com/

All of the regular mega yachts are moved out of their regular berths for the show and miles of temporary docks are installed to accommodate the huge number of mega yachts coming in for the boat show. 

We will be in the Ft Lauderdale area the first week in October and expect to be sailing on both the Water Taxi and Jungle Queen https://www.junglequeen.com/tropical-isle-dinner-and-show-with-sightseeing-cruise/?fh-u=21b1f5ff-de91-43a6-b2dd-c9b447805358

so we will see what is going on at that point.

I did check out Mai Kai and wish they’d hurry up and reopen already!

Check out Broward Center For The Preforming Arts and see what they have going on when you’re there. https://www.browardcenter.org/

• Like 2