Flight Question (oh no, not another one!)

Sorry.... we deviated our flight to Hong Kong for our cruise in Oct.  United just changed the schedule and our connection time in SFO went from 4 hours to 1:49.  We are coming from Atlanta, so not the most "wiggle room" that  I wanted.  

My questions... we are debating going the night before with a 13 hour layover (we'd go to a hotel).  However in order to do this I have to call Regent.  I get that there'll be a $75 charge, no problem (well not enough problem to worry about), but since we're changing our previously agreed upon flights, with there be a new $175 per person deviation fee or is it all part of the original deviation fee? 

Thanks. 

41 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Why get Regent involved?  Can't you just work with United (I know work with United is an oxymoron 😁)?

Since Regent "paid" for the ticket, I have to go through them.  The app won't let me change the flight (already tried that).  

Since this is an airline-caused problem there should not be another deviation fee. However it is possible you could incur a surcharge. 

In 2019 we had a similar situation. I contacted out TA and suggested my preferred alternative and she took it to Regent. The flights were available but there would be a $1,000pp surcharge. They also suggested a no extra charge alternative. Regent’s suggestion was not as good as ours but not $2,000 worse so we took it. No extra deviation fees. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Sorry.... we deviated our flight to Hong Kong for our cruise in Oct.  United just changed the schedule and our connection time in SFO went from 4 hours to 1:49.  We are coming from Atlanta, so not the most "wiggle room" that  I wanted.  

My questions... we are debating going the night before with a 13 hour layover (we'd go to a hotel).  However in order to do this I have to call Regent.  I get that there'll be a $75 charge, no problem (well not enough problem to worry about), but since we're changing our previously agreed upon flights, with there be a new $175 per person deviation fee or is it all part of the original deviation fee? 

Thanks. 

There will not be another charge. If the airline changed the flight, you can talk directly to Regent Air and they will work with you.

Our deviated flight to Lima in December has been changed twice by the airlines (cancellations), and both I and my TA have been able to talk to Regent Air and get, if not perfect replacements, acceptable ones. No extra fees.

Call them. They will try their best to help. (And if you go through the main Regent number, ask the agent for the direct line to Regent Air so you can call RA direct if you need to later.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RELS said:

There will not be another charge. If the airline changed the flight, you can talk directly to Regent Air and they will work with you.

Our deviated flight to Lima in December has been changed twice by the airlines (cancellations), and both I and my TA have been able to talk to Regent Air and get, if not perfect replacements, acceptable ones. No extra fees.

Call them. They will try their best to help. (And if you go through the main Regent number, ask the agent for the direct line to Regent Air so you can call RA direct if you need to later.)

Thanks..... 

12 hours ago, RELS said:

I should say, there might be an upcharge for the flights you want to change to, but no fees, since you already paid those the first time you deviated.

Incorrect, no need to involve Regent at all.  When an airline changes flight times you simply phone the airline and request the new flights.  Does not matter if the change is 4 minutes or 5 hours.  There is no surcharge or charge at all.  

Recently my flight on United changed by 10 minutes.  This trip was booked thru a different cruise line.  I simply phoned Unite and asked to change to a better scheduled flight.  At first the United agent said only a 10 minute chang but, I simply insisted and magically I was on the flight I wanted without much hasstle.

Regent will need to contact United so why not leave them out of this equation and deal with United yourself.  Would be concerned that Regent air might screw up the change so easiest to do it yourself directly with the airline.

Also you avoid any Regent charge for talking to them to simply do what is simple for you to do yourself.

Easu Peasy

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Incorrect, no need to involve Regent at all.  When an airline changes flight times you simply phone the airline and request the new flights.  Does not matter if the change is 4 minutes or 5 hours.  There is no surcharge or charge at all.  

Recently my flight on United changed by 10 minutes.  This trip was booked thru a different cruise line.  I simply phoned Unite and asked to change to a better scheduled flight.  At first the United agent said only a 10 minute chang but, I simply insisted and magically I was on the flight I wanted without much hasstle.

Regent will need to contact United so why not leave them out of this equation and deal with United yourself.  Would be concerned that Regent air might screw up the change so easiest to do it yourself directly with the airline.

Also you avoid any Regent charge for talking to them to simply do what is simple for you to do yourself.

Easu Peasy

I tried to change on the app and it wouldn't let me.  I'll try phoning United directly and see what they say.  Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I tried to change on the app and it wouldn't let me.  I'll try phoning United directly and see what they say.  Thanks. 

That's correct, you have to make the change with a person and NOt on the app or on line at the airline website.

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

It depends entirely on the airline AND if the reservation has been ticketed. Some airlines won't even assign a seat for the customer until the the reservation has been ticketed (American), even if you call the airline directly, and you have to go through Regent Air because they made the reservation. Regent reserves but doesn't pay until 60 to 75 days before the flight, and reservations aren't ticketed until after payment.

If calling the airline doesn't get you what you want, you can try Regent Air.

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

There would be no further charge from Regent just for the conversation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RELS said:

It depends entirely on the airline AND if the reservation has been ticketed. Some airlines won't even assign a seat for the customer until the the reservation has been ticketed (American), even if you call the airline directly, and you have to go through Regent Air because they made the reservation. Regent reserves but doesn't pay until 60 to 75 days before the flight, and reservations aren't ticketed until after payment.

If calling the airline doesn't get you what you want, you can try Regent Air.

There would be no further charge from Regent just for the conversation.

Thanks... I called United and I can't change the reservation with theme because, as you said, it hasn't been paid for.  After Regent pays for the ticket I'll be able to change with United.  But I'll go ahead and call Regent so there is no problem getting the change early.  Waiting until 60-75 days out could result in the inability to make the change.  Appreciate all the info from you and others.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

One more question about Regent Air. I understand that our TA has to call to give us permission to talk to Regent Air so we can deviate. Can he do that now or does he have to do it when we are exactly 210 days out? Thanks!

Any time. And I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it only needs to be done once for all interactions with Regent as long as you are using the same TA. At least, we've never had an issue with this since the first time our TA cleared us, years ago.

Edited by RELS
typo
  • Like 2