Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

49 minutes ago, 10kfeetASL said:

I grew up in Anchorage but haven't lived there for 10 years or so, so take this with a grain of salt, but my goto hotels in town (either for a staycation, or for visiting guests are the Captain Cook (I've never had a bad experience here) and the Millenium on Lake Hood.

Sheraton and hilton are both pretty meh.

That jibes with my research.

The one I mentioned that had all good reviews and was $900/night…Captain Cook.

I would’ve expected better reviews from Sheraton and Hilton. They’re very mixed. Too mixed for me to want to pay their price tag.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yeah that one I mentioned that had all good reviews and was $900/night…Captain Cook.

I would’ve expected better reviews from Sheraton and Hilton. They’re very mixed. Too mixed for me to want to pay their price tag.

I guess that makes sense. Captain cook is an exceptional hotel and its still prime tourist season for a few more days.

The sheraton and hilton are fine, but not outstadning. They were both old when I lived there 10 years ago. Not bad, just older properties. Kind of like going on an older carnival ship before its refurbed 🙂

BTW - I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. We're carni9val cruisers taking our first NCL cruise this december.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Checking in Aug 27 and checking out Aug 28 I saw a Deluxe King for $465 a night on their website. Looks like a nice hotel!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Yep. Well Alaska up and Canada back.

I flew with Alaska on my Seattle trip last year. Actually my flight up there got changed to an unacceptable time so they switched me to an American flight that worked. And kept me in first class even though the American first class ticket was much more than the Alaska one I bought. Then I flew Alaska back and got to use their lounge in Seattle which is wonderful. So far it’s all good with Alaska. 

Time is getting short for you...
Hope the flights are smooth & on-time!

AK Air is our go to for most every starting flight...
Imagine That 🙂 

Lots of rain yesterday - I got home from Anchorage after 11 PM

Drab & grey today

Hopefully the Sun & Warmth will Return - but your weather in Anchorage & Seward may be a little different than your last Sunny Shorts Alaska trip

I hope you got to experience the main/largest AK Air Lounge in SEA last year - they have a number of them.
Our flights to & from Alaska are generally always packed - hoping for an upgrade SUN/MON...

Most likely out of luck for ANC-SEA...
But SEA to SAN may have some options...

As long as I am able to pre-book flights vs. last minute or depart in the next few hours - I generally am able to score one of my favorite exit row seats:  17 D or 16 D (I don't recline my seat anyway)...
So if no First Class Upgrade pops up, I'll be good to go & I've already ordered my official AK Air Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 10kfeetASL said:

I grew up in Anchorage but haven't lived there for 10 years or so, so take this with a grain of salt, but my goto hotels in town (either for a staycation, or for visiting guests are the Captain Cook (I've never had a bad experience here) and the Millenium on Lake Hood.

Sheraton and hilton are both pretty meh.

Captain Cook is still very nice & pricey...
I believe the Millennium has been renovated - the views of the float planes are awesome

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The Sheraton & Hilton are franchised & I believe operated by the same management company

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 10kfeetASL said:

I guess that makes sense. Captain cook is an exceptional hotel and its still prime tourist season for a few more days.

The sheraton and hilton are fine, but not outstadning. They were both old when I lived there 10 years ago. Not bad, just older properties. Kind of like going on an older carnival ship before its refurbed 🙂

BTW - I'm looking forward to reading about your trip. We're carni9val cruisers taking our first NCL cruise this december.

Sheraton and Hilton had “old and dirty” reviews in there. Not all of them. But enough for me to not want to pay $400/night.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Checking in Aug 27 and checking out Aug 28 I saw a Deluxe King for $465 a night on their website. Looks like a nice hotel!

I’m doing 26-28. Looks like they are sold out for the 26th now.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Wow! We did an Alaska road trip in July 2021 during the “no cruise” pandemic moratorium. We flew into Anchorage and spent a week driving the Kenai peninsula. I was able to snag a room at the Captain Cook for just over $200 per night. I had no idea the normal rate was so high. I feel lucky now to have gotten that rate. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

Wow! We did an Alaska road trip in July 2021 during the “no cruise” pandemic moratorium. We flew into Anchorage and spent a week driving the Kenai peninsula. I was able to snag a room at the Captain Cook for just over $200 per night. I had no idea the normal rate was so high. I feel lucky now to have gotten that rate. 

Prices were definitely down during the pandemic. I spent a weekend in Galveston at Harbor House in June 2021 for $100 or so per night. If I look at it before my Princess cruise in November, it's coming to $440 for a night.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For a year now I’ve been posting my ranking of the new movies on these threads. My cruises seem to be quarterly so it works out 

This is all except retribution which came out last night and I didn’t get to.

Summer 2023 movies:

MI 7
The sound of freedom
Indiana Jones: dial of destiny
Oppenheimer
Gran Turismo
Joyride
Meg 2
The Flash
Blue Beetle
No Hard Feelings
The Hill
Haunted Mansion
TMNT
Transformers
The Little Mermaid
Barbie
Strays
Jules
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
The Red Door 
The Baker
Talk to me
Back on the strip
Spider-Man 
Ruby Gillman Teenage Kraken
Elemental 
The Blackening
Cobweb
The Boogeyman 

• Like 8

On 8/24/2023 at 12:18 AM, Von & John said:

Enjoy your time in Anchorage!

The Train ride is generally pretty spectacular...
If there are any specific food options your looking for - let us know...

Sit on the right side of the train if you can.  The views are spectacular!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Sound of Freedom", I've heard it is soul crushing.  I want to see it but kind of worried about it being too sad.  I work with a guy who said it brought him to tears, crying.  Another employee thought that it was strange that it had that type of effect on him and he told her(who has no kids), "I have six kids".  Your thoughts?

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, Saint Greg said:

I got a message from the airbnb host with check-in information. I knew this when I booked it but the room next to it is an office space that they say will be quiet. But it's closed on weekends so it won't be an issue until 8am Monday. I asked about a possible early check-in since my plane lands at 1pm and check-in isn't until 3pm. I was unable to find any luggage storage places in downtown anchorage like I had in Miami. She said no problem, the room will be ready for me at 1pm. 

From what I understand, you can store your luggage at the airport if you have a valid boarding pass (like from the day you fly in).  https://ancairport.com/faq/can-i-store-luggage-at-the-airport/

ANCStorageInformation.png

Edited by IRMO12HD
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Von & John said:

Time is getting short for you...
Hope the flights are smooth & on-time!

AK Air is our go to for most every starting flight...
Imagine That 🙂 

Lots of rain yesterday - I got home from Anchorage after 11 PM

Drab & grey today

Hopefully the Sun & Warmth will Return - but your weather in Anchorage & Seward may be a little different than your last Sunny Shorts Alaska trip

I hope you got to experience the main/largest AK Air Lounge in SEA last year - they have a number of them.
Our flights to & from Alaska are generally always packed - hoping for an upgrade SUN/MON...

Most likely out of luck for ANC-SEA...
But SEA to SAN may have some options...

As long as I am able to pre-book flights vs. last minute or depart in the next few hours - I generally am able to score one of my favorite exit row seats:  17 D or 16 D (I don't recline my seat anyway)...
So if no First Class Upgrade pops up, I'll be good to go & I've already ordered my official AK Air Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter

On the 737-900, I believe that Seats 17A and 17F have my initials on them!!  Love Exit Row!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lasvegascruising said:

"Sound of Freedom", I've heard it is soul crushing.  I want to see it but kind of worried about it being too sad.  I work with a guy who said it brought him to tears, crying.  Another employee thought that it was strange that it had that type of effect on him and he told her(who has no kids), "I have six kids".  Your thoughts?

I think the end makes up for the beginning.

• Like 3

Shuttle driver dropped me at the wrong gate. I even verified Alaska and she drove me down further. Dropped me off at E5 and there’s no Alaska. The United lady told me I have to go out and down to E27. Fortunately I was skeptical and went in at the first opportunity which was around E15 and there was Alaska.

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.eff7f5056536dbfc98b968349fa95e41.jpeg

we just have to be under 50 so we’re good. I think that’s true of AC as well. I hope so.

IMG_1175.thumb.jpeg.c2cb6dd9cd45b46b4267024c9879e6d9.jpeg

• Like 13

The longest security line I’ve seen at DFW. Pre check is good. But that regular entry is way down the hallway. It says 12 min wait. It has to be an hour. One thing I’ve found at DFW is the next security line is usually shorter if you’re willing to walk.

IMG_1177.thumb.jpeg.d66b9d371e1d69ac8e7c512348c25ea9.jpeg

IMG_1178.thumb.jpeg.a4b060cf0f37d5e08d2034fd7df4fbc4.jpeg

sure enough. It says 8min and is provably close to accurate

IMG_1179.thumb.jpeg.17ee9d245e53809f99e2cbb680d34dfc.jpeg

• Like 16

I’m usually an aisle seat booker. I booked window twice on this trip. Once now because flying over downtown Seattle is cool. Hopefully we land the same way we did last time. And on my second return flight so hopefully I can sleep against the window. The aisle to Barcelona didn’t work. I kept getting bumped.

• Like 13