Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

1 hour ago, HxFx said:

Yeah, Greg didn't miss much football-wise. Gators managed to stink and be boring at the same time!

I wouldn’t have watched it. That whole conversation just started with me asking the question is it normal just to have that one sports channel that doesn’t show American sports? Never really got an answer. I don’t think there’s a sports bar on this ship either. I think that O’Sheehans would be the closest. With like 2-3 TVs. They could put a game on that big screen. I wonder what they do on Saturday and Sunday around here.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Today is Skagway. This will be my first time in Skayagway. I was supposed to go last year but it was canceled and replaced with Icy Strait Point.

My husband enjoyed Skagway Brewing Co. they had fun hats and t shirts and beer too😂 

I’m partial to Icy Straight Point. It just feels like genuine, real Alaska.  Skagway is fun too. The brothel tour was interesting as was the train ride. 

• Like 8

With NCL, you are at the mercy of Sports24 and what they are offering on TV.  Soccer, cricket, tennis seem to get a priority.  Sailing during the American football season, you had 1 early NFL game (1:00 PM Eastern Kickoff), 1 late NFL game (4:25PM Eastern Kickoff) and then the national broadcasts on Sunday Night and Monday Night.  College football/basketball was non esistent except I was on board for the Final Four once and they showed that at the Local (O'Sheanans equivalent) and in the atrium tv. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, soup23 said:

With NCL, you are at the mercy of Sports24 and what they are offering on TV.  Soccer, cricket, tennis seem to get a priority.  Sailing during the American football season, you had 1 early NFL game (1:00 PM Eastern Kickoff), 1 late NFL game (4:25PM Eastern Kickoff) and then the national broadcasts on Sunday Night and Monday Night.  College football/basketball was non esistent except I was on board for the Final Four once and they showed that at the Local (O'Sheanans equivalent) and in the atrium tv. 

Ouch. I have 15 days of that channel well documented from my transatlantic. 

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, soup23 said:

We were on for the championship game in April. They showed it in a couple places.  But yeah, that’s what we get soccer, cricket, tennis.  No baseball, football, basketball, or nascar.

• Like 1

Since I’m pressed for time I thought I would do O’Sheehans where I could get my food and my drinks. I got a table. Wasn’t too happy the place was nearly empty and the seated me shoulder to shoulder with a couple.

I tried to order the sandwich with the fried egg as suggested here and it was a problem. The guy tells me twice that it comes with scrambled. Then he asks me how I want my eggs cooked. I thought fried was sufficient but maybe not. 

Then I found out the bar wasn’t open for drinks until 8. I asked the bartender if there was a bar open before 8 on this ship. He chuckled and said maybe the pool bar. So I canceled my order and left.

IMG_3129.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 13

And it looks like the great outdoors bar opened at 7. That’s so dumb in Alaska. The ”24 hours osheehans” opens at 8 and the first bar open on an Alaskan cruise is outside. First bar open should be the atrium bar.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 12